Drummond to the Nets? | The Boneyard

Drummond to the Nets?

Reaction Score
This is a dumb question... what does buyout mean? The Nets will just take over his contract?
Not quite, it means that Drummond and the Cavs would negotiate a settlement on the remaining money owed to him in his contract (which ends after this year). The expectation is that this would allow him to become a free agent and could then sign a new contract with the Nets.

Reaction Score
any source for this? although lots of teams regularly buy out players (it's seen as a "favor" to big-time player agents) i have read that the cavs rarely do... i think the c's were waiting for them to buy out tristan thompson last year and they just let him walk.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
given that the cavs got jarett allen in the deal i agree he is a better/cheaper long term prospect but the cavs should get something for drummond. they can trade him to another contender for at least a first rounder dont let him walk for nothing

Reaction Score
Not quite, it means that Drummond and the Cavs would negotiate a settlement on the remaining money owed to him in his contract (which ends after this year). The expectation is that this would allow him to become a free agent and could then sign a new contract with the Nets.
Thanks. A bit uncommon for sure. Doesn't say much for the Cavs long term interest in Drummond. But I suppose he gets paid a decent amount and isn't exactly a proven winner.

Reaction Score
He's gonna have to play like a Clint Capela type player and understand he won't get fed for post ups. Could be good for his value but could also project him into a high end role player instead of the "star" he sees himself as.

It seems odd to me Cavs would just let him walk without getting anything in return. Just his expiring contract should give them some 2nd rounders. To think he has zero value is pretty wild.

Pairing him with Luka would be fun to see.

Reaction Score
LOL NBA is a joke now. Players doing what they want when they want rather tan playing out their contracts and waiting for free agency. Sorry this is ridiculous no matter ex-Husky or not. I mean I'm a Celts fan and even if he went there this is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I'll be curious what kind of contract he'll sign. He will essentially be double dipping.

Reaction Score
LOL NBA is a joke now. Players doing what they want when they want rather tan playing out their contracts and waiting for free agency. Sorry this is ridiculous no matter ex-Husky or not. I mean I'm a Celts fan and even if he went there this is ridiculous.
What? What exactly is Drummond doing wrong? Your post makes no sense.

Reaction Score
it's more complicated than that. the cavs likely will NOT make the playoffs and have three options with drummond: (1) let him play out his contract on a losing team and then leave for nothing, (2) trade him for 25 cents on the dollar, (3) buy him out as a favor to his agent. lots of teams choose the third option willingly.

Reaction Score
What? What exactly is Drummond doing wrong? Your post makes no sense.
His beef sounds like it's more with the NBA than Drummond in particular. It has kind of become a league of the have and have nots. Players buddy up on a select few teams and the rest of the teams will mostly struggle. I don't blame the players, but from a competitive balance standpoint it almost feels like in recent years, the small market teams can be a farm system for teams like the Lakers. It must stink to be a fan of some of those teams.

Reaction Score
you are so so dumb. front offices can trade you at any time this is a two way street. foh

Reaction Score
Thanks. A bit uncommon for sure. Doesn't say much for the Cavs long term interest in Drummond. But I suppose he gets paid a decent amount and isn't exactly a proven winner.
the cavs are going for a "youth movement" thing right now and shouldn't pay drummond. whether or not he gets bought out, traded, or finishes his contract with the cavs, his best options next year are to: (a) take a huge discount to play for a contender, or (b) make a bunch of money playing for another subpar team who is trying to make the 8th seed (e.g. what players like bogdanovic and gallinari did with the hawks this year)

Reaction Score
it's more complicated than that. the cavs likely will NOT make the playoffs and have three options with drummond: (1) let him play out his contract on a losing team and then leave for nothing, (2) trade him for 25 cents on the dollar, (3) buy him out as a favor to his agent. lots of teams choose the third option willingly.
But won’t they have to pay almost all of his contract? Can’t they dump the entire contract if they trade him?

Reaction Score
The Cavs have Jaret Allen now. They don’t want Drummond anymore but I agree they should at least be able to get something quality for him. If not, the more traditional style of (non-shooting) center getting paid a lot is officially going to be a thing of the past in the nba.

I agree with Chief that playing with Harden would be very sweet for Andre.

Reaction Score
But won’t they have to pay almost all of his contract? Can’t they dump the entire contract if they trade him?
they would almost definitely have to take back money in order to trade him. if they can get a couple of young, cheaper pieces (or draft picks) it would be worthwhile, but very few well-run teams will trade serious assets for an expiring player. the cavs might just prefer to have the cap space next year.

the reason that the celtics are mentioned a bunch is because they have a TPE that they can trade for drummond, but the celtics' biggest issue is finding someone that can guard joel embiid and embiid kinda owns drummond.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom