Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
"Why didn't we see any of that last year!!!!!!!!!!!!????????"

/obligatory

Reaction Score
"Why didn't we see any of that last year!!!!!!!!!!!!???????
Love Andre, and will continue to man-love him, but you make a good, if sarcastic point.
Clearly the difference between last year and this year for Andre was motivation.
This year, playing against much taller, athletic talent, his rebounds per minute have shot way up from a mere 1/2 year ago.
Why?
Clearly it's not a vast improvement in talent and technique. It's effort.

Last year, I suppose, and the tumult of the ban, and the desertions, and Andre not being motivated, all point to the same thing - - it was time for a change.

I'm not sure Ollie could have gotten Andre motivated, but I am sure that motivating players was something that Calhoun was not doing as effectively in 2012 as he was in 2002.

In any event, any Andre Doubters want to confess? The guy is killing it in the NBA, and any notion that he's not a 15 year impact player, at the bare minimum, should be gone.

Reaction Score
I think he will lead the league in Rebounds and Block shots at least a few times in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts himself in that Defensive Player of the Year category before long. I know it's just preseason, but the signs are there.

Reaction Score
I think he will lead the league in Rebounds and Block shots at least a few times in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts himself in that Defensive Player of the Year category before long. I know it's just preseason, but the signs are there.
My God. He hasn't even played a regular season game yet and you already have him as a superstar. Some of these predictions are just premature.

Reaction Score
My God. He hasn't even played a regular season game yet and you already have him as a superstar. Some of these predictions are just premature.
Yeah actually I do. As I prefaced above "I Know it's just preseason" but he has all the tools and he's not even 20. If you can't see him at that caliber, barring awful growth rate or regression, you just don't want to. Everyone else on this bored is convinced he will be a better pro player then he showed us as a collegian.

Reaction Score
Everyone else on this bored is convinced he will be a better pro player then he showed us as a collegian.
In fairness, that's a lot different than saying "he will lead the league in rebounds and block shots at least a few times in his career."

Kevin Garnett is one of the 30 best players ever and made more than 10 All-Defensive teams. He's led the league in rebounding twice and blocked shots...never.

Reaction Score
Kevin Garnett is a beast, love my Celtics, but he never went after the boards and blocked shots the way we all know he was capable of. I think as the main offensive weapon on his early Wolves teams, it kind of took away from everything else. Drummond will never be asked to be a 20+ points guy imho. He will make a good living if he focuses on Rebounding and Blocked shots first and let everything else fall where it may. I just think there's a chance he can be that successful though nothing is a given in this league.

Reaction Score

You realize he was one of the worst rebounding centers in college basketball last year, right? He was like 70th on kenpom rankings.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You realize he was one of the worst rebounding centers in college basketball last year, right? He was like 70th on kenpom rankings.

he averaged 10.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. I'm not saying that's great, but I have a hard time believing that he was one of the worst rebounding centers in college basketball when you consider the big east is one of the most difficult conferences to play in.

Reaction Score
he averaged 10.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. I'm not saying that's great, but I have a hard time believing that he was one of the worst rebounding centers in college basketball when you consider the big east is one of the most difficult conferences to play in.

He certainly wasn't one of the best rebounding big men.........He's a 6'11 beast and if you think you got all of him last year your wrong and I think that's what hurts most fans more than anything. He didn't work much harder than Ao quite honestly..........I hope he does well but to try to make him into something he wasn't last year is ridiculous. He was a big, raw freshamn who had a decnt year but no great considering the gifts he brougt to Storrs - again not all on him.....tough year chemistry wise, not real good leadership and JC had a down year in many ways........but he was only okay!!

Reaction Score
So he sat on his fat ass all year, and UConn suffered for it. Thanks SOO much, big guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Real world value of kenpom ratings = 0

Total fraud. IIRC, after UConn won 11 in a row to win the title, kenpom still didn't have them in the Top 10.

Reaction Score
Maybe I need to grow up, but for the life of me I can't read the word "Kenpom" and not think of this:

Reaction Score
Total fraud. IIRC, after UConn won 11 in a row to win the title, kenpom still didn't have them in the Top 10.
you do realize that what he does is a statistical analysis? All this does is give a best guess at the chances of wining and losing; there are flaws to the methodology but i don't see how he is a total fraud. Drummond was a great offensive rebounder in college and he will be one in the nba, his college rank is due to the fact that he wasn't and probably still isn't a good at grabbing defensive rebounds .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
you do realize that what he does is a statistical analysis? All this does is give a best guess at the chances of wining and losing; there are flaws to the methodology but i don't see how he is a total fraud. Drummond was a great offensive rebounder in college and he will be one in the nba, his college rank is due to the fact that he wasn't and probably still isn't a good at grabbing defensive rebounds .

It's all fun with numbers. Useless.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Ollie could have gotten Andre motivated, but I am sure that motivating players was something that Calhoun was not doing as effectively in 2012 as he was in 2002.
They won a title in 2011 predominantly on motivation and defense.

Reaction Score
kenpom is pretty legit. dre is a much better offensive rebounder at this point bc hes still not good at all at boxing out. hes averaging a ridic 7.2 offensive boards per 36 in the preseason, as opposed to only 4 defensive/36. its obviously easier to improve defensive rebounding though, so he could be a total beast on the glass. overall hes looked amazing in the preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom