Drummond may walk on and pay his own way | The Boneyard

Drummond may walk on and pay his own way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to sources. He'll certainly have enough money a year from now. And UConn gets to thumb their nose at the NCAA and say, ", NCAA!"

With Connecticut out of scholarships, sources have told CBSSports.com that Drummond could become a walk-on and pay his own way this year.

Andre Drummond Commits to UConn for 2011

Reaction Score
I don't know whether AD would qualify for financial aid, but I assume walk-ons are eligible similar to any other student.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Hey NCAA you wanna penalize us with limitations on phone calls and reductions scholarships based on a salty kid who never even practiced with our team and our declining APR because we're producing too many NBA players. We'll just have the #1 player in the country pay his own way and walk on. lol Love it.

Reaction Score
But, as a walk-on, he will have to sit at the end of the bench with Kyle Bailey and Ben Stewart.

Reaction Score
But, as a walk-on, he will have to sit at the end of the bench with Kyle Bailey and Ben Stewart.
You think Drummond would get his name on the back of his jersey if he's a walk on? LOL

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
According to sources. He'll certainly have enough money a year from now. And UConn gets to thumb their nose at the NCAA and say, ", NCAA!"

With Connecticut out of scholarships, sources have told CBSSports.com that Drummond could become a walk-on and pay his own way this year.

Andre Drummond Commits to UConn for 2011
that would be stunning if true. the best walk on in the history of college basketball...

Reaction Score
And as a walk-on, would he count against APR?

Reaction Score
Not sure if walk ons count toward APR...but what a great day it is!!!

Reaction Score
:p He definitely is doing this on his own dime. He and his family have called the shots from day one.

Reaction Score
Many people, myself included, have wondered whether or when all of the success of UConn would result in the top recruits growing up wanting to go to UConn. Guess we finally have our answer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Many people, myself included, have wondered whether or when all of the success of UConn would result in the top recruits growing up wanting to go to UConn. Guess we finally have our answer.

I agree. This is the first NC in which we can categorically state it resulted in an incredible recruiting class. So many of us scratched our heads wondering how come the other two NC's didn't produce better results. I guess the third is the charm.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rudy and AJ coming in after the 2004 title was a nice little haul.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I agree. This is the first NC in which we can categorically state it resulted in an incredible recruiting class. So many of us scratched our heads wondering how come the other two NC's didn't produce better results. I guess the third is the charm.

And just think ... last year at this time people were talking about how UConn couldn't recruit anymore.

Its really a testament to how incredible the 2010-2011 season was.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And just think ... last year at this time people were talking about how UConn couldn't recruit anymore.

Its really a testament to how incredible the 2010-2011 season was.

Hopefully Irene will be as fickle as we are!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Both AJ and Rudy committed before the season started.
If you are using at what point they committed, where do Caron, Taliek & Hazelton get credited? When each committed, we were still defending champs.

Reaction Score
Rudy and AJ did commit prior to the 2004 title. What i meant was that AD grew up in CT, grew up watching the fanaticism with which CT resident follow UConn basketball, and watched UConn win 3 titles. My hope is that lots of kids in the northeast have had similar childhoods.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that if a school ever spends time recruiting a player their first year on campus has to be on scholarship anyone know if that is true or not?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that if a school ever spends time recruiting a player their first year on campus has to be on scholarship anyone know if that is true or not?

And how would they police this?

What if he says he wants to pay?

Reaction Score
Wow, this is a truly nice get by Calhoun. I think this guarantees that Coach will be around for at least 2 more years.

Reaction Score

A recruited player does not have to be on scholarship. However, anyone who is recruited counts against the scholarship limit of 13 (or 10 in UConn's case) IF he is given almost any kind of financial aid (e.g. need-based aid). Thus Drummond cannot be given need-based aid (which someone mentioned above) or he would become a counter and put UConn over the current limit.

As for how the NCAA determines who is a "recruited" player, there are a number of criteria. For example, if a player takes an official visit or if the coaching staff makes more thena one phone call to him or his relatives or if any of the coaches make contact off campus, then the player is deemed to be recruited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom