Drummond big night | The Boneyard

Drummond big night

Reaction Score
So I was just looking at Drummond’s profile on basketball reference. Was anyone else aware his nickname is supposedly “Big Penguin” lol? I’ve never heard that.

BC6042DD-60D3-480C-9A25-30BD36B67D0C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Still can't figure out why he couldn't rebound his one year at UCONN.

The 2012 team had Drummond, Roscoe Smith (who I think led the NCAA in rebounding when he transferred to Vegas) and an all time great head coach who emphasized rebounding,......and with all that the 2012 team stunk at rebounding.

Never underestimate chemistry or the lack there of.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Funny story..
The Big Penguin nickname comes a from time Dre and Dream Jobbed 2.0 went to open ice at Freitas..

Dre slipped and slid on his tummy like a penguin. Dream Jobbed 2.0 said “hey Dre you look like a Big Penguin!”..

We laughed so hard and the nickname stuck..

Reaction Score
In the first half, Drummond scored 20 points and grabbed 14 boards, a feat no one in the franchise reached over the past 20 years, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And they won! Whenever someone posts a giant stat game from AD it seems to be in a losing effort.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

The 2012 team had Drummond, Roscoe Smith (who I think led the NCAA in rebounding when he transferred to Vegas) and an all time great head coach who emphasized rebounding,......and with all that the 2012 team stunk at rebounding.

He averaged 7.5 rebounds in 28 minutes per game, as a freshman. He could absolutely rebound.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Love this dude. He is such a goofball. He dated a woman who was a star on a kid's TV show. Lol.
If you put the brain of Cousins or Garnett or Laimbeer in this guy, you gotta wonder what his numbers would be. Not a slam, but I'm thinking about what DH has said about Polley. Gotta be mean to max potential, and not all guys find that easy.

Reaction Score
I’m not a big fan of Drummond as a player and he’s not very popular among the uconn alumni guys we all love...but I would love to see him with a great pg.. he’s played with really bad point guards his entire career.

Reaction Score
He was one of the best offensive rebounders in the country as a freshman.

The team went for (and got) a lot of blocks, which gave up a lot of weakside rebounds. And he played alongside Oriakhi for a decent chunk of his minutes (and both of Roscoe and Oriakhi for 15% of his minutes), which meant a lot of competition for individual boards.

Reaction Score
Drummond will in fact be a Hall of Fame player if he keeps those numbers up for another few years. I believe I saw a stat last night that the only players in NBA history that have more 30-20 games are Moses Malone and Dwight Howard? I was actually surprised to see that, even though I knew Drummond has been putting up big rebounding numbers ever since he got into the league.

C

Chief00

He was one of the best offensive rebounders in the country as a freshman.

The team went for (and got) a lot of blocks, which gave up a lot of weakside rebounds. And he played alongside Oriakhi for a decent chunk of his minutes (and both of Roscoe and Oriakhi for 15% of his minutes), which meant a lot of competition for individual boards.
In HS and prep, he could just jump over people to rebound. It took him a couple years to learn how to get position. He has a big lower body, that’s Perfect for that.

Reaction Score

Drummond was not bad in 2012. Was he dominant? No, but he still had a solid Fr year and was obviously a first round draft pick.

Aside from that, 2012 will go down as one of the most, if not the most confusing season in Calhoun’s career at UConn. We’ve been over that hundreds of times, but It is still mind boggling how a team with Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Giffey, AO, and Roscoe, only ended up playing in the 8/9 game of the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
I believe Andre was our only one and done player. He went #10? in the NBA draft. I think one more year with Calhoun would have put him at the top of NBA draft boards.

Reaction Score
Drummond will in fact be a Hall of Fame player if he keeps those numbers up for another few years. I believe I saw a stat last night that the only players in NBA history that have more 30-20 games are Moses Malone and Dwight Howard? I was actually surprised to see that, even though I knew Drummond has been putting up big rebounding numbers ever since he got into the league.
It’s hard to predict this because this is probably his last year of making 20+ million per year and on a team where he is a main option on offense. And when he finally gets to a good team he may not play enough minutes for the next several years to average the same kind of absurd rebounding numbers. He will still end up high on the list of all time rebounders but that may not be enough for the hall of fame unless he has post-season success somewhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Aside from that, 2012 will go down as one of the most, if not the most confusing season in Calhoun’s career at UConn. We’ve been over that hundreds of times, but It is still mind boggling how a team with Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Giffey, AO, and Roscoe, only ended up playing in the 8/9 game of the NCAA Tournament.
That's what happens when you throw guys that won you that precious third title overboard for a shiny, new toy.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I believe Andre was our only one and done player. He went #10? in the NBA draft. I think one more year with Calhoun would have put him at the top of NBA draft boards.
and what did he earn, talking cash moneh here, by not staying, hmmm?
the answer -$2,356,320.00
and now, working on seven straight years as numero uno for O boards, and five straight years for total boards, with a current salary of $27,093,019.00, the best rebounder on the planet (15/14 career, 19/16 this season) would disagree. i mean, partying at the cheesesteak place and playing x box was fun, but not $2,356,320.00 worth of fun. smart guy.
and oh, he's now 27 years old. if he feels like it, he'll prolly still be playing a decade from now, if only to wreck the nba record book. the retirement money question was solved looong ago.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’m not a big fan of Drummond as a player and he’s not very popular among the uconn alumni guys we all love...but I would love to see him with a great pg.. he’s played with really bad point guards his entire career.
he's wicked popular with me, as i admire greatness and not hype. mr drummond is an all-time great, at least according to the nba record book, and im just grateful that i had one year to see him in our uni.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom