Drop football | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Drop football

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
For the B1G invites, it was population density and recruiting.

so lack of support and a bad program talent pool.

Got it. Is either of those going to ever change ? CT is losing population and we will never be a football recruiting hotbed. They are not going to change so why wont we get rejected for same criteria again?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A large part of the basketball program's problems now -and those problems coming in the future- have to do with the conference situation. The conference situation is harming the men's program and will harm the women's program once Geno retires. And the conference situation has everything to do with football.

This is the myth that causes dumb posts like the OPs. The league is not the problem. We won a NC in this league. Cinci and SMU have been successful nearly every year in this league. UCF has improved dramatically in this league, as has Houston.

Rather, the problem with the league (aside from money) is that three of the four teams that were supposed to carry it, UConn, Memphis and Temple...stink instead. We have let down the league, not the other way around.

Look, I don't like this league very much either, but if UConn, WSU, Cinci, Memphis, Temple, Houston and SMU were all playing closer to their historical high points, it would be a very strong basketball league. Top heavy, sure, but the ACC has always been top heavy as well, and the SEC even more so.

Reaction Score
so lack of support and a bad program talent pool.

Got it. Is either of those going to ever change ? CT is losing population and we will never be a football recruiting hotbed. They are not going to change so why wont we get rejected for same criteria again?
No not lack of support. That would be a secondary thing if anything. Weren’t you on the CR board for a bit there? Population density means most television sets in to which the B1G can beam their network. The B1G is in the tens of millions of Philly, NY, DC, and in-between televisions now.

I don’t think recruiting will change but theoretically UConn could be a gateway in to all New England talent for the B1G (not saying much)

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No not lack of support. That would be a secondary thing if anything. Weren’t you on the CR board for a bit there? Population density means most television sets in to which the B1G can beam their network.

I don’t think recruiting will change but theoretically UConn could be a gateway in to all New England talent for the B1G (not saying much)

There are much lower media markets in the B1G than ours.

2. Media market

Hartford/New Haven - 32 Louisville 49

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No not lack of support. That would be a secondary thing if anything. Weren’t you on the CR board for a bit there? Population density means most television sets in to which the B1G can beam their network. The B1G is in the tens of millions of Philly, NY, DC, and in-between televisions now.

2. Media market

So as a followup question. If Media market kept us out then, why is it attractive now?

Reaction Score
There are much lower media markets in the B1G than ours.
And? They were already in the conference... we are taking about candidacy/criteria for joining now.

Hartford/New Haven - 32 Louisville 49
Didn’t mention the ACC in that point on purpose

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So as a followup question. If Media market kept us out then, why is it attractive now?

You're just trolling at this point. Every conference has different needs every time it expands.
The B1G needed a football brand when it grabbed Nebraska. Later, it decided that due to the changing landscape, and the BTN, it needed more TV sets and bigger markets. It ignored on field performance that time and grabbed RU and Maryland.

At the time the ACC grabbed Louisville, football was at historic lows for the league. Miami stunk. VT wasn't doing well and even FSU and Clemson were not where they have been since. The ACC has very strong tv markets, and had no network, so that was not a factor for them. Louiville and UConn both had strong basketball, but Louisville had much strong football. Additionally, they had a more southern culture, and the southern ACC schools didn't want another Yankee school to shift the balance of power.

The Big 12 grabbed TCU because it was in footprint and good at football. It took WVU because it was desperate for a 10th member to retain it's AQ status and TV contract and couldn't lure anybody from the SEC or B1G.

The SEC took A&M because it was strong across the board and brought them into the TX/Houston market. Mizzou also had solid programs, and good TV markets that complimented what the SEC had (Mizzou and Arkansas are traditional rivals...it not at the level of Mizzou KU).

The Pac was and is geographically isolated. It saw a chance to get beyond its borders and get a strong program in a good market with Colorado and pounced. Good cultural fit too, as CU is as granola as UC Berkeley. They grabbed Utah as the next best available program in the region, and a geographic bridge to Colorado.

Reaction Score
We do still have a good cut of the NY metro region with SW CT. It’s attractive, just not quite as much as what Jersey and Maryland had to offer

B1G is also looking to move beyond a pure athletic conference and banding together with academics, sticking with AAU research universities. UMD and RU are; UConn is not. The research going on at UMD vs UConn is holy lolz-worthy in your words

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're just trolling at this point. Every conference has different needs every time it expands.
The B1G needed a football brand when it grabbed Nebraska. Later, it decided that due to the changing landscape, and the BTN, it needed more TV sets and bigger markets. It ignored on field performance that time and grabbed RU and Maryland.

At the time the ACC grabbed Louisville, football was at historic lows for the league. Miami stunk. VT wasn't doing well and even FSU and Clemson were not where they have been since. The ACC has very strong tv markets, and had no network, so that was not a factor for them. Louiville and UConn both had strong basketball, but Louisville had much strong football. Additionally, they had a more southern culture, and the southern ACC schools didn't want another Yankee school to shift the balance of power.

The Big 12 grabbed TCU because it was in footprint and good at football. It took WVU because it was desperate for a 10th member to retain it's AQ status and TV contract and couldn't lure anybody from the SEC or B1G.

The SEC took A&M because it was strong across the board and brought them into the TX/Houston market. Mizzou also had solid programs, and good TV markets that complimented what the SEC had (Mizzou and Arkansas are traditional rivals...it not at the level of Mizzou KU).

The Pac was and is geographically isolated. It saw a chance to get beyond its borders and get a strong program in a good market with Colorado and pounced. Good cultural fit too, as CU is as granola as UC Berkeley. They grabbed Utah as the next best available program in the region, and a geographic bridge to Colorado.

Im really not.

I really want to know why people expect diminishing attractiveness (because Id daresay that are Athletic department and media footprint are worse than they were 5 years ago) So I want someone to explain to me why that will equal CR success going forward.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We do still have a good cut of the NY metro region with SW CT. It’s attractive, just not quite as much as what Jersey and Maryland had to offer

B1G is also looking to move beyond a pure athletic conference and banding together with academics, sticking with AAU research universities. UMD and RU are; UConn is not. The research going on at UMD vs UConn is holy lolz-worthy in your words

And we will be an AAU research University exactly when?

Reaction Score
Im really not.

I really want to know why people expect diminishing attractiveness (because Id daresay that are Athletic department and media footprint are worse than they were 5 years ago) So I want someone to explain to me why that will equal CR success going forward.
We can only hope for more expansion as we are still one of the the more attractive programs left to be taken if/when that happens

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We can only hope for more expansion as we are still one of the the more attractive programs left to be taken if/when that happens

So at this point its like playing Powerball?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're talking to Auggie about sports, you should have given up a while ago.

You have an useful information to add? Enlighten me with your insider connections. Or can that only be done via PM?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Im really not.

I don't know that we should. But as other pieces come off the board, we may be girl that somebody asks to dance. It will depend on their needs and our attractiveness at the time. We have the largest non P5 athletic department budget by a big margin. We have better markets than most of the remaining players. We have history of success across multiple programs. Unfortunately, our current performance is down considerably in the two most important sports. The UConn women are a unique asset to any league with a network. Our academics are an asset.

That's where we are. If the ACC did add someone, I don't think any other school except maybe Cincinnati would even be considered. The B1G? I doubt we'd be taken. The Big XII? If they lose members, we'd be on the short list to replace them. UCF and Houston might be at the top right now. That's it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don't know that we should. But as other pieces come off the board, we may be girl that somebody asks to dance. It will depend on their needs and our attractiveness at the time. We have the largest non P5 athletic department budget by a big margin. We have better markets than most of the remaining players. We have history of success across multiple programs. Unfortunately, our current performance is down considerably in the two most important sports. The UConn women are a unique asset to any league with a network. Our academics are an asset.

That's where we are. If the ACC did add someone, I don't think any other school except maybe Cincinnati would even be considered. The B1G? I doubt we'd be taken. The Big XII? If they lose members, we'd be on the short list to replace them. UCF and Houston might be at the top right now. That's it.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer. Those are my feelings too.

Really we are wishing on a star.

Reaction Score
The entire premise of this argument rests on the idea that the conference is to blame for UConn basketball's recent failures. That just isn't true. We recruit at the top of the conference every single year, and yet have never won the regular season title in the conference. We have been a middling team in the conference, and this year will probably finish in the bottom third. How will going to the new Big East and eliminating football change that? Won't we just get slaughtered by a slightly more interesting group of teams than we do now? How about we focus on actually playing well in the American first

That's not the whole picture though. Its how the travel affects the team. Flying all over the country to play in front of that wild Tulane crowd has a negative effect on the team. Our basketball teams have consistently been low energy and the conference holds the lions share of the blame for htat. If we were able to play with higher energy consistently, our records over the past few years would've been improved. With the exception of this years team we have certainly had one of the most talented teams in the AAC with worst travel schedule. Can you deny that the two are connected?

Its disingenuous to act like the conference is the only issue, but to say it doesn't hold the blame for our basketball teams failures is ignoring the elephant in the room.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just got done with Page 1, but it is not important enough to read on without noting that the OP, In my opinion, likely created an account just to create this thread, as if none of this has been suggested before. :rolleyes:

I think Erasmus University - Rotterdam should drop rugby and ice hockey. Teams in Holland play on Curling sheets for crying out loud.

220px-Trappers-Kemphanen_Finale.jpg

They money saved could better be spent on Motorsports and keeping little kids from freezing while plugging holes in sea barriers.

Reaction Score
We have the largest non P5 athletic department budget by a big margin. We have better markets than most of the remaining players. We have history of success across multiple programs. Unfortunately, our current performance is down considerably in the two most important sports. The UConn women are a unique asset to any league with a network. Our academics are an asset.

All this is true. But in the end, it lies with the fans and their attendance despite who we are playing. The perception was, I don't know if it still holds true, that our football fans didn't travel well. Even in our one (and maybe ever) major bowl, the athletic department had to eat the unsold tickets and we had supposedly only 3000 UConn fans at the game.

Look at Georgia's visit to South Bend this year.

20170909183329.0.jpg

Will UConn football fans ever travel like this?

We already have some posters stating they won't attend games or at least thinking about it because of poor performance.

If you want to play with the big boys, back your team like the big boys and fill up the venues.

Reaction Score
You mean CT in between NY and Boston with Hartford and New Haven as the 32nd Media market compared to Louisvilles 49?

I’m curious as to what you think factors are. Rutgers got into Big ten. Why? Basketball team is horrid, football team had 2 good years.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’m curious as to what you think factors are. Rutgers got into Big ten. Why? Basketball team is horrid, football team had 2 good years.

Right. So if the were STILL more attractive than us. Whats the point?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom