Drop football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drop football

Reaction Score
BTW, I ran into the girls volleyball team in Bradley last yr. It makes no sense for them to travel to Texas to play in front of less then 90 people. The crew had 20 people and 2 nights in a Texas hotel. The travel will wreck their academics. My daughter plays volleyball and I Will never send her to UCONN if she wants to play college volleyball. This conference makes no sense for US

Reaction Score
BTW, I ran into the girls volleyball team in Bradley last yr. It makes no sense for them to travel to Texas to play in front of less then 90 people. The crew had 20 people and 2 nights in a Texas hotel. The travel will wreck their academics. My daughter plays volleyball and I Will never send her to UCONN if she wants to play college volleyball. This conference makes no sense for US

I think we might need a "drop volleyball" thread. I've been saying drop volleyball for years but nobody listens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Vermont was a bad example. How about Wichita twit? They used to play major league football. How are they doing in BB, twit? This was meant for metsfan2323. Don't know why his post did not show up above my reply.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just can't stand the people who blame the current miserable state of the basketball program on football and that is really what this is about otherwise you would have posted this in the football forum.

#get a clue and get a new basketball coach.
I agree we need a new coach. But I keep seeing on here that the state can not afford to buy out Ollies contract. With a losing football team with no chance of making the big time, loosing tons of money, that was the connection I was implying.

Reaction Score
I read Michael Oher's book. The sad thing is that in the SEC, most players r there for football only. Many players pack their belongings after the last game of the senior yr. They do not come back for the spring semester to finish their degree. The worst deal for your future health is to play SEC football with no degree or NFL career
SCC schools are football factories. Most of these guys couldn't get back into high school. The whole concept of student atheletes is a joke at these places, and a lot of other schools as well.

Reaction Score
Maybe Vermont was a bad example. How about Wichita twit? They used to play major league football. How are they doing in BB, twit? This was meant for metsfan2323. Don't know why his post did not show up above my reply.

I agree 1000% that our basketball program should aspire to be as good as Wichita State. I love watching them play. They play the same wonderful style of basketball our Women's team plays. If anyone wants to know what Geno ball would look like on a men's team just watch Wichita State.

but please note that Wichita's basketball success has everything to do with coaching and nothing to do with football.

Reaction Score
Drop hockey and baseball and then cut the corresponding women's scholarships. Then with the extra money we can do a, b and c. See...anyone can play this game. To blame football for current state of hoops is just smoke and mirrors. Being middle of the pack in the AAC for men's hoops is more due to mismanagement of hoops and less about another sport

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
a) The reason Wichita St dropped football was due to losing much of its team and staff in a plan crash many years ago.

b) the school has been considering restoring its football program for a few years now. What some posters on this board view as sunk costs, others can view as existing infrastructure. It is the lack of existing infrastructure (stadium, practice facility) and the costs to build those that is holding them back. As we already have those in place, the effective cost of the program is far less than many want to imply.

Wichita St is not a good example to illustrate the point of your initial post. If anything, they are an example of a school with current, high level success in men's basketball who saw the AAC as an opportunity to bring their program to a higher level and a school that would throw their hat in the ring for football if they had the existing infrastructure. Dropping football would just make us more similar to all other New England state flagships.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drop Football and start the move toward NCAA Division I Sumo Wrestling. If we get there first we can corner the market on talent before the Big Ten and SEC show up. Of course, the PAC 12 may ultimately prove to be the real power in Sumo, but we can at least build first.

article-doc-7z21u-21XtUiOGf300974341eba80b07ea-484_634x455.jpg

Looks close to National Flag Blue to me. Only question, Husky Logo, Old Husky Logo, or Block C? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Drop Football and start the move toward NCAA Division I Sumo Wrestling. If we get there first we can corner the market on talent before the Big Ten and SEC show up. Of course, the PAC 12 may ultimately prove to be the real power in Sumo, but we can at least build first.

View attachment 27580

Looks close to National Flag Blue to me. Only question, Husky Logo, Old Husky Logo, or Block C? Thoughts?

I have wondered at times why colleges don't recruit Sumo wrestlers.
Bad transcripts?

Reaction Score
I agree 1000% that our basketball program should aspire to be as good as Wichita State. I love watching them play. They play the same wonderful style of basketball our Women's team plays. If anyone wants to know what Geno ball would look like on a men's team just watch Wichita State.

but please note that Wichita's basketball success has everything to do with coaching and nothing to do with football.
Yes certainly coaching is the # 1 factor.

Reaction Score
We are NOT dropping football. It will be the biggest fluke in UConn history to pull the plug on a program becuase of two bad coaches. Is it currently a bad investment yes. But with better coaching and a few winning seasons the rent will fill up. Look at the women's team. They sold out the XL center for the Notre Dame game. Why is that? Is Connecticut the women's basketball state? Does Hartford or central have flocks of fans for women's games. Success sells. Football is a better supported sport nationally and state wide. If we can get 6+ wins and keep competitive the program will be fine. Yeah the American sucks. But having this thread every 4 weeks is rediculous. Stop blaming the conference for bad basketball. Cinci has half the history but still is relevant. OLLIE IS TRASH AT COACHING. That's the only reason we stink. Don't try and make excuses about football being the downfall of UConn.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The entire premise of this argument rests on the idea that the conference is to blame for UConn basketball's recent failures. That just isn't true. We recruit at the top of the conference every single year, and yet have never won the regular season title in the conference. We have been a middling team in the conference, and this year will probably finish in the bottom third. How will going to the new Big East and eliminating football change that? Won't we just get slaughtered by a slightly more interesting group of teams than we do now? How about we focus on actually playing well in the American first

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good God, this twit with his 7th post wants UCONN to aspire to be Vermont.

That's nothing compared to some who have 17,000 posts who wants to get rid of the mens team and concentrate on the ladies
Some people just talk to hear themselves talk and/or say absolutely stupid things to get some likes from other dolts

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe you should have quit when you thought you were relevant
you are already getting old - do yourself a favor - join Super John's team

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's nothing compared to some who have 17,000 posts who wants to get rid of the mens team and concentrate on the ladies
Some people just talk to hear themselves talk and/or say absolutely stupid things to get some likes from other dolts

Palatine uses sarcasm correctly for once and half the place doesn’t get it.

#boneyardin’

Reaction Score
I read Michael Oher's book. The sad thing is that in the SEC, most players r there for football only. Many players pack their belongings after the last game of the senior yr. They do not come back for the spring semester to finish their degree. The worst deal for your future health is to play SEC football with no degree or NFL career
Kinda like UConn basketball...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone enjoy the irony of the guy who claims to work for the super elite university posts incoherently with r and u for 3 letter words?

Susie Lax told them it’s the best of the New England publics! Eat that URI and Maine!

Reaction Score
We are in an excellent football league. Possibly the best league we ever played in.
Every other G5 school and many independents would love to be in our conference in football. I believe the next contract will be suptantially better than the current one.
Forget P5 ,football at this level is the only sport with the potential to create enough revenue.
to sustain our somewhat bloated athletic department.
Yes we support too many teams that generate zero revenue.
I know you guys don’t like to hear that ,but that’s the truth.
The conference also has made moves to generate additional basketball revenue.
Moves they should have done years ago.
Our problems in football and basketball are self inflicted ,to blame the conference borders on insanity.
Our conference mate ,UCF a team we beat a couple of years ago , won a major bowl this year. Why couldn’t that be us?
If you never win how could you possibly know what the revenue potential is.
Have we even won a dozen league games in 6 years.
Even in basketball if you have a mediocre basketball record why do you suppose more people will come out.
Nova of course
PC because of their location
But Even Georgetown isn’t the draw it once was
How exciting are matchups with these team
Hall?
St John’s
DePaul
Marquette

Butler
Xavier

Online statistics

Members online