Drop football | The Boneyard

Drop football

Reaction Score
I am going out on a limb with this, and just speculating. I will probably get called names by some of the arrogant posters, but I don't care. I am starting to think that dropping Football may not be a bad idea, and just be a basketball school. All those big east catholic schools played bigtime football when I was a kid in the '50's & '60's. They could not compete, could not afford it, and eventually dropped it. Big time FB is a closed club. Uconn will never get in. They will just flounder around on the periphery and loose tons of money. There are only so many quality players coming out of HS each year, and if they are 5 stars they are going to go to one of the long established programs, not Uconn. Furthermore, and here is were I could be dead wrong, but I see football possibly going the way of Roman Gladiator fights by the end of this century. We are all aware of all the talk about brain injuries in football, as well as other life long debilitating injuries. ( I tore my cartilidge in my knee playing HS FB, and still suffer from it. Just had another knee operation a few years ago, and I am almost 70). Football starts in high school. You need your parents permission to play as far as I know. You see where I am going with this? As more brain injury crap comes out, more parents say no, the player pool dwindles, and it is all down hill for the sport of football. Keep in mind I said by the end of the century, not over the next few years. Vermont dropped football, and while they are no BB powerhouse, they manage to put some pretty good teams on the court in BB for a small school from a tiny state. Would like to know what you all think about the future of football for Uconn and the sport in general. Maybe I am dead wrong, I am like I said just speculating.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
I see it a little differently, but probably come to the same conclusion. If you believe that the only route for UConn to get into a P5 conference is to keep a reasonably successful football program, then you have to ask yourself, "What are the chances (and possible timing) that conference expansion/realignment happens?" Now ask yourself how much money UConn loses on football (and probably now MCBB) by being in the AAC. Next, think about the state's finances, and how long the school can afford to lose money at the expense of other academic programs. None of this is science; it's much more guesswork.

If you think it could happen by 2021, maybe that is a good break point. If it's after that, I think it's difficult to see a future with football. The Northeastern part of the country doesn't really care for college football enough to sustain mediocre teams.

YMMV, I'm sure!

Reaction Score
I am going out on a limb with this, and just speculating. I will probably get called names by some of the arrogant posters, but I don't care. I am starting to think that dropping Football may not be a bad idea, and just be a basketball school. All those big east catholic schools played bigtime football when I was a kid in the '50's & '60's. They could not compete, could not afford it, and eventually dropped it. Big time FB is a closed club. Uconn will never get in. They will just flounder around on the periphery and loose tons of money. There are only so many quality players coming out of HS each year, and if they are 5 stars they are going to go to one of the long established programs, not Uconn. Furthermore, and here is were I could be dead wrong, but I see football possibly going the way of Roman Gladiator fights by the end of this century. We are all aware of all the talk about brain injuries in football, as well as other life long debilitating injuries. ( I tore my cartilidge in my knee playing HS FB, and still suffer from it. Just had another knee operation a few years ago, and I am almost 70). Football starts in high school. You need your parents permission to play as far as I know. You see where I am going with this? As more brain injury crap comes out, more parents say no, the player pool dwindles, and it is all down hill for the sport of football. Keep in mind I said by the end of the century, not over the next few years. Vermont dropped football, and while they are no BB powerhouse, they manage to put some pretty good teams on the court in BB for a small school from a tiny state. Would like to know what you all think about the future of football for Uconn and the sport in general. Maybe I am dead wrong, I am like I said just speculating.
I agree with you. We need o consider dropping football in a few yrs. It will only be a matter of time before a class action lawsuit on behalf of the players terminate most scholarship programs. The mechanism of brain injury in football is mosly acceleration/deceleration. It does not require a shot to the head. The number of participants in New England is plummeting. The only issue is UCONN/state made hundred of millions in investments in past 10 yrs.

Reaction Score
Move all sports to the Big East and then move UConn football to the NFL.
Or maybe play high school teams as they did in the early 20th century!

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
I agree with you. We need o consider dropping football in a few yrs. It will only be a matter of time before a class action lawsuit on behalf of the players terminate most scholarship programs. The mechanism of brain injury in football is mosly acceleration/deceleration. It does not require a shot to the head. The number of participants in New England is plummeting. The only issue is UCONN/state made hundred of millions in investments in past 10 yrs.

In accounting parlance, that "investment" is what is known as a "sunk cost". In other words, the money is gone, not coming back, and the only intelligent thing to look at is future financial performance of the football program.

Reaction Score

I think this would be silly at best, even if you somehow think this would make the basketball program better. I hate to break it to you, but football, which is not going anywhere, has nothing to do with why the basketball program has crumbled. Unless you think "football" is wearing a suit and sitting on the bench during games tbat is.

Reaction Score
In accounting parlance, that "investment" is what is known as a "sunk cost". In other words, the money is gone, not coming back, and the only intelligent thing to look at is future financial performance of the football program.
agree with u. The only issue is that it will be catastrophic for the state n school to pull the plug out now when the football center and Rent field was just open several yrs ago. This is really bad optics for future state support. I also want some type of football program our reputation as a major state university. The only ""Big time"" state schools with no football program are in California. UCONN does not need football to be a prestigious institution like BU, NYU, Washington U, Tulane or Emory. The only issue is that they r all private schools. We are a state school n Sue Herbst has told the faculty many times that we are the premier public institute in New England

Reaction Score
I just can't stand the people who blame the current miserable state of the basketball program on football and that is really what this is about otherwise you would have posted this in the football forum.

#get a clue and get a new basketball coach.

Reaction Score
be9.jpg

And paragraphs? Who needs em!?

Reaction Score
I just can't stand the people who blame the current miserable state of the basketball program on football and that is really what this is about otherwise you would have posted this in the football forum.

#get a clue and get a new basketball coach.

Actually if anything maybe football proves it's not worth it to make the change sometimes, PP to BD. From bad to worst.

Basketball has little or nothing to do with football, although the best move for basketball is the Big East no doubt but not with a football team.

Reaction Score
Better yet, we should all move south and become fans of any top tier SEC school.
I read Michael Oher's book. The sad thing is that in the SEC, most players r there for football only. Many players pack their belongings after the last game of the senior yr. They do not come back for the spring semester to finish their degree. The worst deal for your future health is to play SEC football with no degree or NFL career

Reaction Score

IMG_9334.JPG

Reaction Score
Actually if anything maybe football proves it's not worth it to make the change sometimes, PP to BD. From bad to worst.

Basketball has little or nothing to do with football, although the best move for basketball is the Big East no doubt but not with a football team.
The football team will be ugly again this coming yr; no speed or strength. IF we made the change in basketball after this yr. it will be 2-3 yrs of sub 500 ball at least with no good players to develop

Reaction Score
I think this would be silly at best, even if you somehow think this would make the basketball program better. I hate to break it to you, but football, which is not going anywhere, has nothing to do with why the basketball program has crumbled. Unless you think "football" is wearing a suit and sitting on the bench during games tbat is.
Football is loosing money which has an effect on all sports. I hate to break it to you, but Football is the reason we are in this crap conference. And that effects basketball. As well as of course a bad coach, which we don't need to argue about.

Reaction Score
Good God, this twit with his 7th post wants UCONN to aspire to be Vermont.
I was sure someone would start with the name calling. Well twit, obviously you didn't get it. It was meant as an example of a school that can live without football. How you came up with aspiring to be Vermont is pretty stupid.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

Reaction Score
It proves if you hire bad head coaches in any sport you get bad results but that doesn't mean you should stop trying.

But it also proves you don't know what you're getting and football is really in rough shape The Lashlee loss was going to happen as he's too good for that program at least for now. Randy needs time he could make them watchable, unfortunately for him Lashlee made just the offense worth tuning on for now what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom