Drew Pyne enters the portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Drew Pyne enters the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marinelli, Mora, and the rest of the coaching staff will definitely will be recruiting some in state kids tomorrow.
I hope Marinelli goes back to Greenwich tomorrow.
Because the West Haven RB has D1 talent.

Reaction Score
Pyne is a lot better than Roberson.

I think it's unlikely he comes here but it kind of makes sense. I'd imagine he's thinking this will be his last time transferring. You'd think he will want to pick a team he thinks he can start at for his final years of eligibility. That screams non-P4 team to me.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Having Pyne come home would be a nice story, but we need him to have good targets. We have several TEs, but our best one just abandoned us. We have Ross, but he can't make up for the WRs who left/are leaving. So in short, who is Pyne gonna throw to? We need speed and hands (asking Santa for size too) for the passing game to have any real zest.

Reaction Score
Pyne is a lot better than Roberson.

I think it's unlikely he comes here but it kind of makes sense. I'd imagine he's thinking this will be his last time transferring. You'd think he will want to pick a team he thinks he can start at for his final years of eligibility. That screams non-P4 team to me.
Agreed. He is going to want to transfer to a team with an obvious open qb position (UCONN has) with offensive weapons (UCONN doesn’t have) and a good offensive system (UCONN doesn’t have).

I think he goes to a mid tier G5.

Reaction Score
I hope Marinelli goes back to Greenwich tomorrow.
Because the West Haven RB has D1 talent.
If they get that kid, that definitely helps the roster. You’re talking about Kemp, right? That WR Reid is pretty good too. Rolapp from Darien is one of the kids Mora will go to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having Pyne come home would be a nice story, but we need him to have good targets. We have several TEs, but our best one just abandoned us. We have Ross, but he can't make up for the WRs who left/are leaving. So in short, who is Pyne gonna throw to? We need speed and hands (asking Santa for size too) for the passing game to have any real zest.
If Pyne against all odds comes to UConn, you bet Marinelli had something to do with it. Having both Pyne and Roberson on the roster next year and a decent play caller, gives Mora lots of options, no pun intended.

Reaction Score
I know he was injured for part of the season, but my concern with Pyne is that in his 4th year of college football after starting at Notre Dame, he was the 3rd string QB at Arizona State. Granted, Arizona State was not a good football team, but you have to be wonder what both the Notre Dame coaches and Arizona State coaches saw in Pyne..

Reaction Score
Pyne may be “competent” for lesser competition but because he wasn’t very good at all at ND he was considered incompetent. Not sure it’s worth it at all there’s a reason he was 3rd in line for the Sun Devils.

Reaction Score
I’d certainly bring him in if it’s to add another qb to compete for the starting job.

If it’s pay him big nil dollars and basically guarantee he starts that’s a different story.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Is he an upgrade over Taquon? probably but does he massively improve our roster? I dont think so
Who the heck do you think UConn is going to attract that will "massively improve our roster", particularly given the NIL resources we have available? It's like our foundation is built in sand and people want to install a pool on the roof.

Reaction Score
I know he was injured for part of the season, but my concern with Pyne is that in his 4th year of college football after starting at Notre Dame, he was the 3rd string QB at Arizona State. Granted, Arizona State was not a good football team, but you have to be wonder what both the Notre Dame coaches and Arizona State coaches saw in Pyne..
He’s not 3rd string. He pulled a hammy before the season even started. For his style of play a pulled hammy can be tough to come back from, and he has one more year left. It would not surprise me if he comes home to UConn, BC, Rutgers or Cuse (depending on the new coach).

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
He’s not 3rd string. He pulled a hammy before the season even started. For his style of play a pulled hammy can be tough to come back from, and he has one more year left. It would not surprise me if he comes home to UConn, BC, Rutgers or Cuse (depending on the new coach).
he has 3 yrs left

Reaction Score
When I watched him play for Notre Dame I can only characterize his playing style as “scared”. Happy feet.

My concern is how he would do here with far less weapons on offense. He is an improvement but definitely think he is in 3rd or 4th tier of portal qbs.

Reaction Score
Arizona St. was in a rebuilding year, so it was pretty clear they were going to start Rashada this season as he was the #6 QB recruit in his class to develop him. We can debate if Pyne was behind Bourget or not, which some believe he was.

Reaction Score
i keep hearing that the folks with the big bucks who live in Fairfield County have little contact with or loyalty to UConn, thus they won’t be opening their wallets as wide. If that’s true I’d be trying like heck to recruit and portal-pluck as many good players from Fairfield county as we can to change that dynamic. If Marinelli is the lynchpin give him a ton of NIL offers and make FCounty players his priority, starting with Drew Pyne.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
i keep hearing that the folks with the big bucks who live in Fairfield County have little contact with or loyalty to UConn, thus they won’t be opening their wallets as wide. If that’s true I’d be trying like heck to recruit and portal-pluck as many good players from Fairfield county as we can to change that dynamic. If Marinelli is the lynchpin give him a ton of NIL offers and make FCounty players his priority, starting with Drew Pyne.
I've been preaching this for nearly three decades. I also tried to sell the idea on funding men's lacrosse solely for this purpose (about 17 years ago Hathaway had no interest). If we had a men's lacrosse program (and put the effort in to run it properly) we could gain a ton of interest from affluent families in Fairfield county, Westchester (NY) county and Nassau (LI) county. It would be the easiest path to gain an affluent alumni base and as a bonus, we could be nationally competitive in a very short time.

In 2006 we had the capability of doing this (with some effort), today it would take a massive ($25mm-$30mm) donation earmarked entirely for lacrosse.

Reaction Score
I have said this for a long time. UConn has never had a sophisticated fund raising operation for either the university or athletics, although it has gotten better.

Reaction Score
From CT originally. Played at Notre Dame before transferring to ASU last season. Played in 2 games due to injury. Is this too big of a stretch for us?
That ship has sailed - for him. He wasn't that good at ND. UConn can do better, but they need to commit to throwing the ball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
on his second transfer, will have to sit a year. Don't go chasing on this one.
Sitting a year (he won't need to if he finishes his degree) aside, due to connections, we should easily be able to determine if we do or do not have a shot at landing him. If we find out he's interested, we take our best shot. If we find out he's looking for a program with a higher profile, we put zero effort in him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
His quarterback rating at ND was 155 with 22 TD passes and 6 ints while he was there. With big games against USC, UNC, BYU, Navy and Cal. Not a group of bad teams at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom