Doty coming off bench | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Doty coming off bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well I do believe it's our "best" starting 5, but I was one who thought he would never bring Caroline off the bench, for a variety of reasons. Still, not that this team has any issue starting slowly, it gives us our best 5 on the floor to start the game.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I think part of the decision is based, not only on all the things already discussed, but on how different CD II and Stewie are, as players. If you're talking two guards, or two forwards, perhaps Geno does defer to the decorated veteran. But they play very different positions, and have pretty different skills, and the combinations produced on the floor are quite different. It really is an "apples and oranges" comparison, not "Macintosh v. Red Delicious". Stewie (aka El Condor Passer) can't be replaced well by anybody else. We're filthy deep (bad mojo! bad mojo!) at guard, and 3-point shooters, so Caroline's position brings more flexibility. I expect, hope, and believe that she'll handle it with remarkable grace - and contribute mightily when she is on the floor.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This makes me sad in a way but I understand it. Caroline is the ultimate team player so I'm sure she will deal with it and Geno knows that.

sTu

Reaction Score
I think the coaching staff had similar ideas to input to the discussion as the Boneyard. I would have enjoyed hearing that go around. What I like most about the starting five is the possibility of how they may be playing together as a unit in the middle to end of January after all those minutes together. And there is the added possibility that Banks may bring the fire off the bench and be sixth player of the year. May we be lucky and the all the good come to pass.

Reaction Score
I'm also sure that Caroline, being the ultimate team player, knows that she didn't lose her starting spot. Breanna earned it. And I think that she will, as mentioned earlier in this thread, lend a sense of calm to an otherwise, somewhat hectic, 2nd unit.

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm a little surprised to be honest. Very unlike Geno. But this probably has a lot to do with a lot of players playing out of position if Doty starts.

Also, although Moriah has shown great "signs" my guess is in bigger games, we'll want Doty running the backup point. And with limited minutes, we might want to use as many of those with Hartley not in the game, as we can.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As one of those who predicted that "two bigs" would prevail over "four guards", let me offer another prediction:

In competitive games, Kelly Faris (and probably also KML) will play over 30 minutes, notwithstanding the team's depth. Those two have the best all-around games and make the fewest mistakes.

Also, if Kelly continues to shoot even reasonably well, she will backup KML at the 3 when she is not in the backcourt.

I never understood those posters who disparaged Kelly's ball handling or passing skills as being inadequate for regular guard play. To me, those are two of her most obvious strengths.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: Geno on the Doty decision... LINK

And good stuff from Rich: LINK

Reaction Score
Finally. Now I can finish my Maryland/UConn analysis.

I had a feeling a couple of weeks ago when Caroline came off the bench and Geno said she handled it well physically.

If Caroline starts 5'11' Kelly Farris has to play power forward as she did last year because we didn't have anyone else. With Stewie starting we have a 6'4" power forward and Stef is much more effective upfront. It really is a no brainer but Geno needed to make sure Caroline understood it wasn't her play but Stewie's size that made the difference in starting. Caroline will get her minutes. Everything will be fine.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stewie has to start for many reasons. First of all its common sense. She is a very rare player. Her presense on the floor changes the how the game is played on both defense and offense. It also changes how opponets play us. Her presence makes everybody better.

On offense she makes everybody better. There is no doubleing down on Stef or anybody else. Opponets cant leave anybody open. She is the first legitimate big player who can play outside like a guard and inside like a great post player. There isnt anything she cant do.

On defense shes quick and can guard guards on the press. Her wing span causes problems where ever she is. Playing up top she forces opponets to shoot from the outside and not get inside. Along with Stef and Kiah she can block shots. Shes an intimadator everywhere on defense. The combo of Stef and Stewie ( the S &S for short) are more dangerous then Griner because they can cover more of the court and you cant go right at them because the other is right there. The S's have great chemistry playing together mostly because of their unselfishness and great passing.

Another thing to consider. Carolines injury. We need her healthly late in the season. Playing her to much early on could affect her ability during tournment time. Its a tuff choice to have to make. If you start Caroline over Bria you sitting and AA. One thing about this team. They will all get playing time and alot of it. They all have the potential to be AA's and I wont be surprised if they are. It will be interesting to see how many AA's we have this season.

Reaction Score
Do they utilize or have available, a stationary bike on the sideline/runway for Caroline to keep her knee warm?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Geno also likes the team to step on the neck early, put teams away as quickly and efficiently as possible. This line-up is the way to do that. And it will be crucial for the big games, esp. Stanford and Baylor.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Kara Walters reported on SNY before the first game with Charleston, that Caroline was replacing Bria in the starting lineup. I posted that back then, and no one believed me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And good stuff from Rich: LINK
Interesting quote(s) in this one.

"And here’s what the average person doesn’t understand yet … When Stefanie Dolson is not on the floor we’re not any good. That’s the bottom line."

Ok he exaggerated a little because he went on to explain

"When Stefanie Dolson’s on the floor we’re really, really good. But when she’s not on the floor we’re just OK because there isn’t a post player that has that much experience, that knows our offense and makes things work. Sets the right screen at the right time, makes the right pass at the right time."

That starting 5 is going to be really, really hard for teams to match up against.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
.... Also, this makes Hartley the starting floor general and Doty the first floor general off the bench. I think Jefferson already has shown us great things and will get her twenty minutes plus, but I rather have Hartley and Doty be the first two point guards in the game sequentially, rather than have that be concurrent with Jefferson then replacing one early on. ....

I swear I wrote that before seeing Auriemma's quotes about having Hartley and Doty on the floor sequentially. Yes, this is a shameless self-congratulatory post.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I swear I wrote that before seeing Auriemma's quotes about having Hartley and Doty on the floor sequentially. Yes, this is a shameless self-congratulatory post.

Nothing wrong with an occasional "shamelesss self-congratulatory post." Back on November 15 I started a thread entitlee, "Stewart Must Start. Now and Forevermore."

Not the toughest call I ever made. Possibly the easiest -- for me, not Geno.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another thing to consider. Carolines injury. We need her healthly late in the season. Playing her to much early on could affect her ability during tournment time.

Exactly Tony. Although Stewart should start regardless, saving the wear and tear on Caroline is smart. What a luxury, having a seasoned, savy veteran who can knock down the dagger three sitting on the bench! Doty is key player in this team's chances for a NC.

HGN

Reaction Score
The Best 5 is starting.............Experience , talent , chemistry , and practice performance, more or less, made the determination more so than Geno. Plus , I think Geno likes this lineup going forward to get us to the FF. This moves prepares a key player (Stewie) for what surely is going to be a fight for the NC. Now we will have ONLY 2 real freshmen on the bench come March... Not 3. It gives us size upfront ( Dolson, Stewie) and tenacity (Faris)....A shooter and scorer ( KML) , and a AA (Hartley).

As for CD , the player , this may take some stress and strain off that knee over the long season. Perhaps it will be a little stiff off the bench , but it will feel better in March.

As a matter of fact , I think we all are going to be feeling pretty good come March as a result of this decision.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What will be important to see is if Bria can control the pace well at the start of the game. It is something she has had problems with in the past. She has more experience now as a junior and it is important that she not let the offense become something akin to a runaway stage coach but rather direct it and manage it well.

Reaction Score
What will be important to see is if Bria can control the pace well at the start of the game. It is something she has had problems with in the past. She has more experience now as a junior and it is important that she not let the offense become something akin to a runaway stage coach but rather direct it and manage it well.

I expect "Coach" Doty to be a big help to Bria in this, as well as Shea Ralph...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I expect "Coach" Doty to be a big help to Bria in this, as well as Shea Ralph...
I agree. And it is a very important aspect of the game.

Reaction Score
PG- Hartley-----Doty-------Jefferson
SG- Faris--------Banks
SF/W- KML-----Tuck
PF- Stewart------Buck
C- Dolson--------Stokes
Buck is not the backup PF - Morgan Tuck is. Buck will only play when a couple bigs get into foul trouble, although she may get a few minutes defending Griner, whom she actually does a very good job on.

Jefferson, Doty, Banks, Tuck and Stokes are the five backups, with Banks shifting between the SG and SF (when UConn goes small) positions. I like the idea of playing Doty and Jefferson together. Doty can run the offense, while Jefferson can focus on attacking the basket and getting into the paint - the two things she's best at right now.

The bottom line is that this team is incredible deep and versatile. Not sure Geno's had this much depth to play with since the pre-injured 2000-01 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom