Dorsey to Oregon | The Boneyard

Dorsey to Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We never had momentum with Dorsey. I think we'll figure something out at PG.

Reaction Score
I wasn't really impressed with Dorsey the couple of times I saw him live but since his transfer he's been absolutely killing it this year. Not sure if it's the competition or if he's improved. Either way he would have helped us a lot, our recruiting is starting to become a bit worrisome.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I wasn't really impressed with Dorsey the couple of times I saw him live but since his transfer he's been absolutely killing it this year. Not sure if it's the competition or if he's improved. Either way he would have helped us a lot, our recruiting is starting to become a bit worrisome.

I wouldn't be worried just for the sake of it because in the past we would lose out on many of our top choices. However, we just won a NC, built a state of the art practice facility, and have a young and upcoming African American coach (former NBA player with connections) who can relate to the kids .... and there is playing time available ....

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried just for the sake of it because in the past we would lose out on many of our top choices. However, we just won a NC, built a state of the art practice facility, and have a young and upcoming African American coach (former NBA player with connections) who can relate to the kids .... and there is playing time available ....
That's exactly what worries me, clearly the conference isn't ideal but everything else is. We simply should be recruiting at a higher lever and Ollie better get it figured out quickly.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
doggone it. Could have used another ball handler next year.

Time to move on to the next player

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dana Altman hasn't gotten one second of good press in two years and is basically hanging on because he's too expensive to fire.

But if he's on a kid we're on, we're done.

Lightbulb starting to go on for any of the 'alls' well' crowd?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Dana Altman hasn't gotten one second of good press in two years and is basically hanging on because he's too expensive to fire.

So what is it? Recruiters can't close, or is the conference situation killing us? Or some other shenanigans we don't play along with?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can we just jettison out Cassell and Nolan the way JC did those guys?

Maybe if you call the AD's office they'll look into it. I'm sure it'll be that easy.

Reaction Score
I would love to see a Craig Austrie clone be added to this roster for next year.

Nothing spectacular just solid.

Reaction Score
Unlv and VCU sucked, but given the Altman deal and whiff? We were never strong in the mix despite last minute push, but hits keep coming.

Like lightbulb comment Fishy.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Something recruiting wise is off here. UConn just comes off a NC against a highly hyped opponent, opens a new state of the art practice facility, has a young, charismatic coach that is targeted by the NBA greats and is lauded by guys recruits look up to like Durant and Lebron, and yet we are wiffing on nearly every single target we set our sights on, to lesser opponents no less. In fact, right after winning the title when things were looking grand, what happens? Our two commits Jackson and Ali both decommit (I know we got Adams out of it but still, we never really got a good reason for why those guys left).

UConn has never been a very "flashy" or "sexy" program compared to some of the competition, and personally I think a lack-luster campus life has a little to do with all this but still come on, these are not the recruiting results a program the caliber of UConn should be getting. UConn can step up the recruiting by (a) hiring outside of the UConn family for a proven recruiter (Ive spoken to Glen Miller a few times and hes a great guy and bball mind but today's recruits are not exactly signing on the dotted line when he walks in the room) and (b) STEP UP OUR NATIONAL BRANDING/IMAGE. I've harped on point (b) several times now and there are always a few posters here who try to dismiss my point and try to make me seem like a fool but its the truth. Recruits, and generally teenagers of this generation, have different attitudes than those of the past. Prestige of the names that came before you mean nothing anymore, guys want to go somewhere where they will be under the national spotlight and treated like kings. Social media and the "internet's" opinion and perception of a school means a lot to these guys. These guys want to go somewhere where the coach sells them to the media and NBA scouts as a top product, a program that attracts a great deal of hyped up matchups and attention. Historically UConn has not had success with this type of player, and rightfully so as we have been able to develop our hard working guys over a period of a few years, yet this strategy comes with its costs, that being what we are seeing on the court this year. Big gaps of talent and a great deal of risk taking on "Project guys".

This current squad is essentially made up of one sure-fire stud (Boat), one solid recruit who has shown he can play and just needs some time to get to speed (DHam), and a bunch of project guys (TSam, Brimah, Facey, Cassell, and frankly Purvis, he was never known as a skill player and more of a supremely athletic body who needs to work to learn the game). Our entire front court (Facey and Brimah) have only been playing the game of basketball for 5 or 6 years now! How can we expect to be regular final four/title contenders by gambling so big on guys that will either become Thabeets/Armstrongs or the opposite - duds. Some on the yard say recruiting is over-rated and UConn will continue to get it done. That may very well be true, but if it was up to Vegas setting the odds on where I was gonna put my money, it wouldnt be that the trend UConn has experienced over the last five years will continue indefinitely. We cannot lose sight that our last two titles were essentially very fortunate in that the pieces fell in the right place and the teams both stepped up way beyond what they had showed their entire respective regular seasons. Oh yea, also lets not forget having two generational all-time great college players leading the way. 3 star guys arent going to keep turning into Bazz's and Kemba's every four years.

Other top programs at UConn's level lose as much talent as us to the draft each year, yet they replace that talent with highly touted incoming freshman. Why not bring in guys that are already more skilled and talented that we can develop into our system as opposed to starting with guys who are at a lower level skill level that we develop into our system (with some simply not working out, for every guy that gets better every year they play for us, there is the occasional guy who never gets it together ala Coombs-McDaniels).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're loaded with nothing spectacular - the last thing we need is a Craig Austrie-type who had trouble scoring.

We whiffed on Dorsey two or three times and kept trying to get back into it.

We're rapidly running out of "next" - the next-best option here is the point guard Pervis Ellison has down in Jersey, but we somehow keep canceling visits to him.

If Ollie was truly inspired by some of these failures, he'd go to Jersey and bring back the guard AND Pervis Ellison as an assistant coach.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

To be fair in this case he never had interest in leaving the west coast. But obviously our recruiting needs a jump. An assistant who specializes in recruiting would seem like a logical move.

Reaction Score
Can we just jettison out Cassell and Nolan the way JC did those guys?

Huh? # of scholarships isn't the issue right now. People are saying we need a PG but you want to jettison a guard who hasn't been great but we can still definitely use, and a PF/C who will be a senior next year? I don't care if the JC thing was tongue in cheek...this post doesn't make sense any way you look at it.

Reaction Score
Huh? # of scholarships isn't the issue right now. People are saying we need a PG but you want to jettison a guard who hasn't been great but we can still definitely use, and a PF/C who will be a senior next year? I don't care if the JC thing was tongue in cheek...this post doesn't make sense any way you look at it.
Relax, it was definitely said tongue in cheek. The serious question though is if KO would maintain total loyalty to a kid even if it's clear he won't cut it at this level or would he encourage him to look elsewhere? It happens all the time in almost every program, let's not pretend it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom