Dorka update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dorka update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take nothing and nobody for granted.
In South Bend against the Irish, don’t expect a single bounce or close call to go our way.
The wisest way to go is to go to the opening tip off like you are already 10 points down.
Nika and Azzi BOTH push the ball as hard and fast as they can.
Put on the defensive pressure right away and contest everything.
Ayanna has to realize she can get called for a foul being passive, as easily as being aggressive.
Lou has to start out fast and take it to the rim , kick it back out if necessary.
Leave it all out on the court and make a statement.
There’s a reason Geno went for this tough front loaded schedule.
Toughness, seasoning, confidence.
The UCONN Huskies are here, and they’re going to stay here whether you like it or not.
Agree with the comments to focus on this game. ND has all the elements that have given Huskies some problems this year - i.e. quick/hot shooting guards and height underneath. Also heard bits and pieces that Nika and others have been playing sick. Predict UConn by 12 but don't expect it to be easy.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was then, this is now and Skylar Diggins is not playing. I believe our record against ND is 33W and 17 L,s. I believe we have a winning record in ND's home court so it is moot. I value all of your inputs, but this is my personal opinion. If you check my posts, you will note I said IOWA would mput up a valiant effort, but it wouldn't be enough. That was my feeling and it came true.
The fact UConn has beaten ND 38 times, not 33, is also moot because that’s the record from 1996 to date. Unless Kara Wolters has some eligibility left, it’s a completely different team playing now.

Im not saying I believe ND is going to win, I’m saying it’s not right to dismiss a top 10 team, not to mention disrespectful. It’s also hubris to a rather high degree. Listen to Geno - he said there are a lot of teams perfectly capable of upsetting teams and that parity has arrived. The days of the 40 point blowouts will be very few and far between

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its always tuff playing at ND. They have alot of talent and for those of us who were in Bridgeport during the NCAAs saw a very good ND team loose. At ND will be very tuff. Its gonna come down to defense and we have been called for alot of fouls at ND in the past. A big part of the foul calls were the Flop sisters. LOL This one will be a battle. ND has no defense MD next on Thursday. We can get a good look at them then.

Reaction Score
The fact UConn has beaten ND 38 times, not 33, is also moot because that’s the record from 1996 to date. Unless Kara Wolters has some eligibility left, it’s a completely different team playing now.

Im not saying I believe ND is going to win, I’m saying it’s not right to dismiss a top 10 team, not to mention disrespectful. It’s also hubris to a rather high degree. Listen to Geno - he said there are a lot of teams perfectly capable of upsetting teams and that parity has arrived. The days of the 40 point blowouts will be very few and far between
Husky Nan, You are one of my favorite posters on the Bone Yard. Nowhere in my post did I be disrespectful by me voicing my opinion. I do not have 2% of your knowledge of the game and Uconn. The lst figure I remembered was 33-17, happy it's now 38. There is no hubris or disrespect in my posts intended at all. I am a lover of UCONN basketball and GENO as a coach. I have stated many times before I always try to think positive at all times and ND is to me what TENN. is to the Bone Yard.

Reaction Score
Husky Nan, if you will notice my post do not ever state Playing a 3 or 4 or mentioning all the technical banter that all of you that has the knowledge of the game. I type one finger at a time and have no idea where you get all the pictures and videos from, tho I love watching them. I am a avid fan of Uconn women's basketball. If I have over stepped any boundaries, I apologize to and anyone else that may have taken offense. GO HUSKIES!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Husky Nan, You are one of my favorite posters on the Bone Yard. Nowhere in my post did I be disrespectful by me voicing my opinion. I do not have 2% of your knowledge of the game and Uconn. The lst figure I remembered was 33-17, happy it's now 38. There is no hubris or disrespect in my posts intended at all. I am a lover of UCONN basketball and GENO as a coach. I have stated many times before I always try to think positive at all times and ND is to me what TENN. is to the Bone Yard.
No worries. It’s just message board talk. I always just wait a day when I get exasperated and by then the board has moved on to the next topic :)

We all love our Huskies, just in different ways

Reaction Score
That was then, this is now and Skylar Diggins is not playing. I believe our record against ND is 33W and 17 L,s. I believe we have a winning record in ND's home court so it is moot. I value all of your inputs, but this is my personal opinion. If you check my posts, you will note I said IOWA would mput up a valiant effort, but it wouldn't be enough. That was my feeling and it came true.
Good points, however, UConn's overall won/lost record against Notre Dame actually is 39-13, which is a 75 percent winning percentage...

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
But 75% wins vs. ND pales to Geno's overall win percentage of something like 88.5%.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Husky Nan, if you will notice my post do not ever state Playing a 3 or 4 or mentioning all the technical banter that all of you that has the knowledge of the game. I type one finger at a time and have no idea where you get all the pictures and videos from, tho I love watching them. I am a avid fan of Uconn women's basketball. If I have over stepped any boundaries, I apologize to and anyone else that may have taken offense. GO HUSKIES!!!
Cool Hand Luke Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Reaction Score
For me, the jury is still way out on Maryland. They only beat Towson by 11. They scored 81 and gave up 70. Not sure they will be a test for the Irish.
Remember Towson beat DePaul recently.....

Reaction Score
We dont need to rush Dorka back but we will need her full back on her game when we play SC and Stanford who can come at us with Multiple talented Bigs. Just think when Dawn plays Boston and Cardosa at the same time along with Amihere, Beal and Cooke. Stanford can play Brink, Betts and Prechtel at the same time with Haley running the point. Jump out there for spacing.

The good thing about Dorka being out is it gives Geno the ability to use one big and 4 guards which he loves because the motion offense has more fluidity to it with screens , cuts and backdoors. That is a matchup problem for others. Game of wits. Dawn and Tara vs Geno. Popcorn and a comfy chair for me. Can't wait!!!!

Reaction Score
We dont need to rush Dorka back but we will need her full back on her game when we play SC and Stanford who can come at us with Multiple talented Bigs. Just think when Dawn plays Boston and Cardosa at the same time along with Amihere, Beal and Cooke. Stanford can play Brink, Betts and Prechtel at the same time with Haley running the point. Jump out there for spacing.

The good thing about Dorka being out is it gives Geno the ability to use one big and 4 guards which he loves because the motion offense has more fluidity to it with screens , cuts and backdoors. That is a matchup problem for others. Game of wits. Dawn and Tara vs Geno. Popcorn and a comfy chair for me. Can't wait!!!!

Why do I keep saying Uconn is playing Stanford? They aren't on the schedule. It's an assumption that they will play them. No guarentee.

Reaction Score
Regarding Notre Dame or any other ranked team, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we are too dismissive of very good teams that we believe we are better than. The best team doesn't always win, or anywhere close to it. This team because of injuries to Paige, Ice and now Dorka is not a lock against any ranked team. Last year during the height of our injuries we were vulnerable to good unranked teams.

Yes a couple of the Brianna Stewart led teams might have been 10 points a game better than anyone else in the country, but that kind of dominance is very rare. Our out of conference schedule is full of competitive games, and based on early season results maybe three other Big East teams would be in that category too. We play those twice each, plus the conference tournament so there are plenty of games we could lose, if we are bad when the opponent is better than expected.

So far we have met the challenge in each of those games against good competition and raised our rating as a result. We have many more tests to come. If we win all of those, then we will get a number 1 seed, and perhaps overtake Stanford and South Carolina. I am not that much of an optimist, but do think if we only come up short in a couple of those challenges, that we still have a crack at a number 1 seed, and that would be a remarkable regular season under the circumstances.

The other potential top seeds all face at least a couple of serious in conference competitors, and are likely to lose a game or two as well. If we only slip up a couple of times, I think we will be well positioned for the tournament, and have exceeded most expectations after the injuries to Paige and Ice. If we do better than that, we might be co-favorites for the National Championship with probably South Carolina and/or Stanford.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Neither team will be a problem. Providence will be a practice game and we have had ND's number for decades. Business as usual for Uconn. After today's game in that Iowa scared the living, "you know what " out of them and for them to come back with a vengeance like they did, the team has come to grips when the specter of defeat was staring them in the face, and prevailed. GO HUSKIES!!!
Famous last words

Reaction Score
Confidence is great but ND on the road will be a problem. A great game. Nika vs Olivia Miles may be the best matchup of the year as far as 1-1.
I wouldn’t call it “a problem”, we should beat them no if’s, and’s, or but’s. However, that being said, never take ND for granted on their home court, especially with the team they have this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The more Ayanna plays, the faster the game will slow down for her. I like the way she plays “deny” defense, positioning herself between the ball (not behind) and her man. It takes a lot of effort and constant movement, but it’s effective if your man can’t get the ball.

I’ve never seen a player score without having the ball. I remember when Moriah Jefferson would be assigned to guard someone and proceeded to throw a blanket over them, effectively making them disappear. It can be done. She’ll be a better more efficient player by the end of January than she is now.

UConn is playing very well right now. The best thing the team can do is remain consistent. If they can maintain their high level of play, they will continue to put marks in the win column.

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Fear not, I told you at the beginning of the season after the first two games that this is a special team...
IF anything after seeing us play through a very tough schedule so far, you all should be beaming with confidence...
UConn would have to beat themselves to lose against ND this year.. There is still only one team this year that we could actually be beaten by if all their players show up and that is South Carolina. No other team, not even Stanford worries me this year. If we keep progressing and developing the players who come off the bench and clean up our mental mistakes such as turnovers and missed defensive assignments we are going to be a very tough out for everyone, barring no more injuries. This is the year of the DOG, Let's Go Huskies!!!!...

Reaction Score
Why do I keep saying Uconn is playing Stanford? They aren't on the schedule. It's an assumption that they will play them. No guarentee.
To win it all they will probably have to beat both of those two teams. It is a hypothetically comment on what Dorka can help us do.

Reaction Score
Dorka is primed for a great season. She knows the system, she's feeling confident, she's in better physical shape than last season. She dove for loose balls several times against Texas -- she is ready.

Above all, her running mate is peaking at just the right moment. Dorka playing next to Aaliyah is going to be an awesome combo.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This particular teams overall win percentage versus Notre Dame after Sunday will be 100%!
While I'm thinking about it, I do worry a little about this somewhat chippy ND team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom