Dook lost Sean Steward...Mass exodus near complete... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dook lost Sean Steward...Mass exodus near complete...

Reaction Score
Transfers will happen, but when you have the right culture it gets minimized. I've got no issue with laughing at Scheyer flailing.
Everyone likes the idea of being a Duke basketball player, but the reality is that they’re like Kentucky now. If you’re staying you’re accepting that you’re being recruited over. A guy like Roach staying 4 years is a rarity.

UConn is seeing the opposite this year, but the flip side of that will be that Hurley is putting a lot of stock into developing unproven in house talent with the hopes that they can win now. We ultimately don’t know what Ball, Stewart, or Ross will do next year, or how Diarra and Johnson will handle larger roles. Duke has a monster recruiting class, is going to be adding Maliq Brown and I’m sure more transfers, and if I had to guess will look better than UConn on paper in the end heading into the season. But I have a lot more faith in Hurley and his assistants than I do Scheyer.

Reaction Score
scheyer walked over to a bunch of nitwit dook fans and, hold on, apologized, after his team lost to its archrival north carolina. he apologized! who in his right mind would want to play for such a spineless stoolie, can't believe he wasn't fired after that pathetic display.

Reaction Score
Not a bet I’d take. They’ll be fine. I’d guess they’ll be a top 25 fixture for the next # of years. Boneyarder fantasy that Duke becomes a laughingstock.

A laughing stock as in their program will have a top 5 recruiting class every year, become a revolving door of one and dones, and early exits in the tournament. Just like Kentucky right now. Kentucky has 5+ years in a row of top 3 recruiting classes and hasn’t been to a sweet 16 in 5 years. When you have no culture, nobody that stays for more than a year or two, team TikTok dances in the locker room, and endless touting of “The Brotherhood”…you aren’t going to get very far in the postseason.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In all candor, it was appropriate to refer to the school as duKe when the program was run by Krzyzewski. Now that they're run by Scheyer, it would be more approriate to refer to them as duSche.
Ooof. Long joke with minimal payoff. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone likes the idea of being a Duke basketball player, but the reality is that they’re like Kentucky now. If you’re staying you’re accepting that you’re being recruited over.
If these recruits were actually "smart", they would look to go elsewhere. Maybe someplace that is promising "the sun, the moon, and the stars" will be doing that the next year and the next year. Duke, Kentucky, Carolina are a feel good experience while being recruited and "hope this experience will go better" after reality sets in after the freshman year.

Reaction Score
I don't care if this is Duke. I despise this. I am not THAT magnanimous. Watching a good product is selfishly more important to me than some kid I don't know and his scatterbrained quest for more and more. Why would I care about his happiness that much??. If you say that you love that these kids just jump ship cuz it's good for only them, then you'd have to say to your girlfriend who leaves you for your best friend "good for her. This'll make her happy"

we're all charitable buddhist monks on here until it happens to us.
Wtheck are you talking about? If you bring in 6 new girlfriends to make out with them yeah your chick Might bolt and it doesn’t matter to whom.

Sure College hoops was better with more continuity in the 80s and early 90s but that ship sailed long ago & post portal we’ve got star freshman with late bloomers available from everywhere. The portal has already yielded Newton, Joey C, Cam & Hassan i think I like it.

Reaction Score
Everyone likes the idea of being a Duke basketball player, but the reality is that they’re like Kentucky now.
Pay Pal Cal is gone so Duke IS the new Kentucky. The “brotherhood” means nothing when only 2 players return and the rest are run out of town. Having said that they’re one backup PG transfer away from being scary, at least on paper.

Stewart——Transfer
Proctor——Harris (4*)
Evans (5*)—Knueppel (5*)
Flagg (5*)—Brown (transfer)
Maluch (5*)-Ngongba (4*)

I’m surprised they’re getting brown from Cuse to backup Flagg, and Harris should decommit if they bring in another guard.

caw

Reaction Score
Pay Pal Cal is gone so Duke IS the new Kentucky. The “brotherhood” means nothing when only 2 players return and the rest are run out of town. Having said that they’re one backup PG transfer away from being scary, at least on paper.

Stewart——Transfer
Proctor——Harris (4*)
Evans (5*)—Knueppel (5*)
Maluch (5*)-Ngongba (4*)

I’m surprised they’re getting brown from Cuse to backup Flagg, and Harris should decommit if they bring in another guard.

Pretty sure you meant Foster, not Stewart at PG.

That is a talented team, but good? Too many question marks. Flagg is great but he is also a very young freshman.

It will come down to if Foster recovers from injury and improves and if Proctor ever lives up the hype.

Maluch and Ngongba is a good rotation but pretty raw.

Reaction Score

Stewart——Transfer
Proctor——Harris (4*)
Evans (5*)—Knueppel (5*)
Maluch (5*)-Ngongba (4*)

Brown isn't transferring to be a backup. He'll split time between pf and small ball c. There is zero chance any freshman not named Flagg can outplay him, and Flagg can play the 3. Brown is likely their best pf, including Flagg, most of next year. Power had no chance at that spot and Stewart was looking at very short minutes as well.

Duke will likely be dumping small forwards next year like they're losing pfs now.

Reaction Score
Brown isn't transferring to be a backup. He'll split time between pf and small ball c. There is zero chance any freshman not named Flagg can outplay him, and Flagg can play the 3. Brown is likely their best pf, including Flagg, most of next year. Power had no chance at that spot and Stewart was looking at very short minutes as well.

Duke will likely be dumping small forwards next year like they're losing pfs now.
If Flagg plays the 3 instead of 4 meaning 5* Evans gets benched then either he or Knueppel should just decommit right now along with Harris

It’s just nuts scheyer is recruiting over 5* freshmen, I didn’t know that was even possible

Reaction Score
If Flagg plays the 3 instead of 4 meaning 5* Evans gets benched then either he or Knueppel should just decommit right now along with Harris

It’s just nuts scheyer is recruiting over 5* freshmen, I didn’t know that was even possible
You got me man. Scheyer needed a wing shooter, some C depth, and Flagg to have a really strong roster. Instead he's running some sort of bizarre rotating 5 star tear down. Very strange and appears borderline incompetent.

caw

Reaction Score
I’m not sure this one and done thing at Duke has worked well for the players so far. Filipkowski is the only one I can say I saw improve and that was mostly his ability to shoot.

2022 class:

#2 Whitehead - OND -22nd pick
#3 Lively - OND -12th pick
#4 Filipkowski - 2ND
#20 Mitchell - Transfer for Junior year
#27 Proctor - Return for Junior year
#75 Schutt - Transfer for Junior year
#145 Reeves - Transfer for Junior year

2023 class
#14 McCain - OND
#17 Power - Transfer for Sophomore year
#22 Stewart - Transfer for Sophomore year
#23 Foster - Return for Sophomore year

Three ONDs of nine top 30 recruits, only one lottery (so far). And Scheyer is recruiting like he’s getting 3-4 drafted as ONDs.

Duke did get two 27-9 records from it. A five and four seed. And a surprise Elite Eight this year.

Reaction Score
Their campus sucks. Not sure why people think its beautiful. The architecture is fake.
There was a thread about this. Some Duke lover was putting up pictures of the campus.

That giant church is butt-ugly. The rest of the quad is an eyeball-scraping clash of faux-Gothic and Georgian architecture. St. John's has a more attractive campus.

It's only "classically beautiful" to hicks that grew up in the holler.

No basketball player ever picked Duke because of the campus beauty. They picked it for the bags of money. THAT was Coach K's greatest trick.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ooof. Long joke with minimal payoff. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:
Evidently you're more suited for one liners, not a problem.

Shut up Dove!

Reaction Score
Wtheck are you talking about? If you bring in 6 new girlfriends to make out with them yeah your chick Might bolt and it doesn’t matter to whom.

Sure College hoops was better with more continuity in the 80s and early 90s but that ship sailed long ago & post portal we’ve got star freshman with late bloomers available from everywhere. The portal has already yielded Newton, Joey C, Cam & Hassan i think I like it.
Valid. I overreacted based on this one example. But I sincerely hope that it's not this mass exodus year after year from significant programs. It's as if the menu of your favorite restaurant completely changing everytime you go. It's dizzying.

However, The BY has me now keeping a more open mind to all this change and I thank y'all for it. We all want the same thing, after all.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure this one and done thing at Duke has worked well for the players so far. Filipkowski is the only one I can say I saw improve and that was mostly his ability to shoot.

2022 class:

#2 Whitehead - OND -22nd pick
#3 Lively - OND -12th pick
#4 Filipkowski - 2ND
#20 Mitchell - Transfer for Junior year
#27 Proctor - Return for Junior year
#75 Schutt - Transfer for Junior year
#145 Reeves - Transfer for Junior year

2023 class
#14 McCain - OND
#17 Power - Transfer for Sophomore year
#22 Stewart - Transfer for Sophomore year
#23 Foster - Return for Sophomore year

Three ONDs of nine top 30 recruits, only one lottery (so far). And Scheyer is recruiting like he’s getting 3-4 drafted as ONDs.

Duke did get two 27-9 records from it. A five and four seed. And a surprise Elite Eight this year.

Good post. Plus Lively and Whitehead were selected in spite of their college performance.

It might make sense for the top 2 kids in a class but beyond that, good luck kids. They would be much better off going to a UConn or Baylor or Gonzaga as the one 5 star mixed into an experienced crew. Baylor is about to put their third (out of 3) 5 star into the lottery in a row. 3/3 versus what, 1/10?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a thread about this. Some Duke lover was putting up pictures of the campus.

That giant church is butt-ugly. The rest of the quad is an eyeball-scraping clash of faux-Gothic and Georgian architecture. St. John's has a more attractive campus.

It's only "classically beautiful" to hicks that grew up in the holler.

No basketball player ever picked Duke because of the campus beauty. They picked it for the bags of money. THAT was Coach K's greatest trick.
Name a single college player that chooses based off campus attractiveness, lol.These players spend 75% of their college time in a gym.

And no, people don’t go to west coast beach schools for the beauty of architecture…

weird way to try to insult a program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Name a single college player that chooses based off campus attractiveness, lol.These players spend 75% of their college time in a gym.

And no, people don’t go to west coast beach schools for the beauty of architecture…

weird way to try to insult a program.
Nadav Hennefeld.

Reaction Score
Fascinating read. They're patting themselves on the back for only having three years with double digit losses in the last 25 and denigrating UConn for not making the tournament 6 times in the last 25 while grudgingly acknowledging the 6 Championships.
Also beating the drum that they had easy paths to the titles by only beating low seeds........Purdue notwithstanding.

Reaction Score
Not a bet I’d take. They’ll be fine. I’d guess they’ll be a top 25 fixture for the next # of years. Boneyarder fantasy that Duke becomes a laughingstock.
If you read that post with their thread, the dUKE fans are all touting: how they're in the mix every year and denigrating UConn (although grudgingly admitting we have six championships) because we've missed the tournament six times in 25 years.

They're clearly miffed that we passed them in the number of championships so they've reset their goal for the time being to getting to the tournament and not having double digit losses.

They also touted how their Final Four game with NC State outdrew UConn vs. Purdue. They must have missed the Cinderella aspect of that game and its draw for casual fans.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or if they keep him long enough and he doesn't develop as a coach he could take them off the pedestal they've been on since the early 90's.
If DH can pull off another great year, and a three peat, UConn would take away a large measure of the dUKE mystique and become the new feature team in men's basketball......especially after all the Flagg hype and the wagon load of 5 stars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom