dook has become Kentucky | Page 3 | The Boneyard

dook has become Kentucky

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
K's ok with fake students and the one and done

But allowing a lesser talented player who obtained a degree in 4 years to transfer and play a 5th year while working on a graduate degree? why that's blasphemy

Some people live in a parallel universe

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Coach K has completely discredited himself as a basketball coach. Remember the commercial from years back when he said, "I'm not a basketball coach. I'm a leader who happens to coach basketball." I used to shout at the screen, "You're a basketball coach, you rat-faced twerp." Turns out he's not a basketball coach, either, never mind a leader.. He's an opportunist using the Duke brand in the hope of striking gold. That is all that's left of the revered Coach K.

Our coaches would have loved to have just about every one of those players and most of the BY would’ve been orgasmic when they committed
Hello Andre Drummond.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ps. That Coach K ad was nauseating and I dont know why it didnt violate some NCAA rule or other. Probably did, but hey, it was Duke.

Reaction Score
Having a 5 Star big in the paint every year takes a lot of pressure off a coach. How bout a 5 Star point to go with that? Their worst case scenario is that the kids won’t gel until the second half and their seeding will be over a 3. That is a bad year. K gets credit for creating the situation in which the best of this country’s HS players are jockeying for a spot on the roster. Jay Wright is getting into Calhoun territory and that is to be respected.

Reaction Score
Having a 5 Star big in the paint every year takes a lot of pressure off a coach. How bout a 5 Star point to go with that? Their worst case scenario is that the kids won’t gel until the second half and their seeding will be over a 3. That is a bad year. K gets credit for creating the situation in which the best of this country’s HS players are jockeying for a spot on the roster. Jay Wright is getting into Calhoun territory and that is to be respected.

I think I'd much rather have a 3rd/4th year PG who isn't destined to be a perennial talent but I'd take an SF and PF/C who is a 5* unicorn year in year out

Reaction Score
Our coaches would have loved to have just about every one of those players and most of the BY would’ve been orgasmic when they committed
Hello Andre Drummond.

Nah have to admit as a fan of the program Andre, while a great kid, hardly seems like a Husky to me. Oh I know he is, but the feeling is a ton different between he and Emeka from that point of view. Like to see the kids grow in our program I doubt I'd ever get used to the shuffling in and out of the kids after a year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nah have to admit as a fan of the program Andre, while a great kid, hardly seems like a Husky to me. Oh I know he is, but the feeling is a ton different between he and Emeka from that point of view. Like to see the kids grow in our program I doubt I'd ever get used to the shuffling in and out of the kids after a year.

That's my point. UConn and its fans wanted Andre even though he pretty clearly was one and done. As I said, BYers can woof about Calipari and Coach K all we want, but we went after a lot of the same kids they got. They just broke more rules to get them. :cool: For the last two years, would UConn have rejected trading our team for either of those?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hello Andre Drummond.

I want a student who's on campus more than 8 months, and AD originally indicated he would stay two years, then things changed. JC retired and a post season ban altered the direction of the program and AD's career.

And having AD for 8 months reinforced my position that I don't want one and done players. I didn't like having one, can't imagine having a bunch of them every year.

I happen to like our MO for success, I like watching kids develop, and that's not going to change

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I want a student who's on campus more than 8 months, and AD originally indicated he would stay two years, then things changed. JC retired and a post season ban altered the direction of the program and AD's career.

And having AD for 8 months reinforced my position that I don't want one and done players. I didn't like having one, can't imagine having a bunch of them every year.

I happen to like our MO for success, I like watching kids develop, and that's not going to change
I totally agree. As I said, though, it's easy to trash the programs that have a had a lot of early departures when the BY salivated whenever it seemed like UConn was involved with a bunch of the same kids. Hopefully new rules will stop the junk and assure that college programs are stabilized. I'm not that crazy about two and dones. And UConn has used a lot of reverse one and dones also known as grad transfers.

Reaction Score

Our MO for success? That used to be getting players like Rip Hamilton, Donyell and KEA, and even with them we were less talented on paper than most of the blue bloods. Also remember that the one or two and done of yesteryear is different than that of today. If we can get back to that kind of talent in recruiting I will be dancing in the streets.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Has this not been going on for years with 1 or 2 leaving every year? It’s never been an even playing field but NC, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky are large corporations with a strangle hold on top talent.
Kansas and North Carolina don't consistently land one-and-done's. It's really just Duke and Kentucky hording them all.

Reaction Score
Kentucky just landed it's 4th 5 Star for next year. How many on their roster now?

Reaction Score
The teams with the one and comes don't win championships. UCONN beat a more talented Kentucky because it was a more cohesive unit and had upperclassmen leadership and didn't get rattled when Kentucky made a run.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kansas and North Carolina don't consistently land one-and-done's. It's really just Duke and Kentucky hording them all.

No but they gorge themselves on 5 stars. Might be more valuable.

Reaction Score
I understand that 5 stars don't guarantee a thing yet having some on the roster usually puts your team in the mix in general. Like Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas year in and out. These teams are usually in the sweet 16 every year. We have 2 5 stars and the talk about making the tournament is probably over, and it turns to seeding. Without some of those players we are not going back to the top of the mountain.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The teams with the one and comes don't win championships. UCONN beat a more talented Kentucky because it was a more cohesive unit and had upperclassmen leadership and didn't get rattled when Kentucky made a run.

They do though. Not every year, but they do. Duke 2015. UK 2012.

Reaction Score
Kentucky just landed it's 4th 5 Star for next year. How many on their roster now?

Three 5 star guys. The squid was hoping for more of his guys to declare.

His system needs guys to move on. There's going to be a log jam at some positions possibly creating transfer options.

Reaction Score
Can someone create the possible Sacha to UConn thread and cite some obscure relationship with Jones and a UConn assistant or player?
O.K. I'll give it a shot.

Sacha Killeya-Jones is from Virginia and so is Kenya Hunter. Hunter was just hired for his recruiting contacts in Virginia. Coincidence that Killeya-Jones just announced today he was transferring? I think not.

Reaction Score
O.K. I'll give it a shot.

Sacha Killeya-Jones is from Virginia and so is Kenya Hunter. Hunter was just hired for his recruiting contacts in Virginia. Coincidence that Killeya-Jones just announced today he was transferring? I think not.

UConn did recruit him I believe although I have no clue if there was any mutual interest a couple years ago. Talented kid for sure who got caught up in the rat race by Squid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom