Don't patronize me Susan | The Boneyard

Don't patronize me Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I went to the school. I am a ticket holder...Don't tell me to be patient. It's 6:53 on this recorded Joe D interview on TIC..........still no vision. And Joe D the homer lobbing softballs. I will vote with my wallet.

Reaction Score
Not true. She stated the vision for the Athletic Department. Win with integrity and do well in the classroom. She used Geno's program as the goal for each sport. Stop being a hater blogger.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Not true. She stated the vision for the Athletic Department. Win with integrity and do well in the classroom. She used Geno's program as the goal for each sport. Stop being a hater blogger.

LMFA. Yep. If listening to 12-15 minutes about the waste of money bio center (monkey to left is super scared, BTW) and then telling me to be patient and then telling us how super cool Memphis is, then yes, I am a hater. We all know that academics is first and foremost. I would have liked a little more insight on our situation, schedule, etc. But Joe D wanted to giggle-gush about Gulley Hall.. I Don't even know where that is, and I went there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you don't want to be "patronized", don't bother listening.

Alum86

Reaction Score
If you don't want to be "patronized", don't bother listening.

Really? I listened to hear about UConn sports from the president's perspective, JH. I got 15 + minutes on non sports related info that is best suited for Rowland's show. If you think I am off base you are entitled to your opinion, but she was patronizing. "Hater Blogs?" Enjoy what ya got? Not good enough.

Reaction Score
Really? I listened to hear about UConn sports from the president's perspective, JH. I got 15 + minutes on non sports related info that is best suited for Rowland's show. If you think I am off base you are entitled to your opinion, but she was patronizing. "Hater Blogs?" Enjoy what ya got? Not good enough.

Sit down, Francis.

Reaction Score
Nobody expected her to say the Big 10 invite comes tomorrow. But the la-de-dah tone that to support UConn properly "true fans" have to accept and be happy where we are is unsettling. "UConn will continue to compete for championships at the highest levels" is all she has to say without saying anything about a specific conference. She's now had 2 puffball radio interviews where she's failed to convey a sense that she is involved in or leading a battle. I hope behind the scenes she's fighting, but based on the que-sera-sera message she's conveying publicly I am starting to have my doubts.

And another thing, appropo of nothing. Can SNY PLEASE stop playing those god-awful "the Big East tournament is every kid's dream" commercials every 10 minutes during UConn games. We're already getting peed on and being told its raining, we don't need No. 2 added.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I wish she would just shut the duck up.

Once a Dookie, always a Dookie.

F her and The Fat Man for the lack of regard for UConn's Athletic Department.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I realize that some of you are a few IQ points away from qualifying for SSI, but Jesus, exactly what do you think she should say?

We are where we are and despite the fantasies passed off as possibility here, there's no soft-landing in sight.

Part of me would love to hear her come out and call the New New Big East a grease fire, but she can't. She says what she has to say and what she will say right up until the second she can say, thank God, we're leaving this athletic duck* hole for greener pastures.

Reaction Score
I realize that some of you are a few IQ points away from qualifying for SSI, but Jesus, exactly what do you think she should say?
You're talking about their combined IQs being a few points away from SSI level, right?

Reaction Score
I'll forgive you for that SSI remark. SSI really sucks.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think everyone is frustrated that UConn is not moving on and staying in the NBE or whatever it will be called. But this is the hand UConn was dealt and as much as I want someone to blame it won't be Susan Herbst. Blame BCU as they kept UConn out of the ACC twice at last count. My hope is they never win another football or basketball game and their hockey program gets put on probation

Reaction Score
True UConn fans will stick by the school no matter what.

I don't see anything wrong in what she said. That's the definition of a true fan as opposed to a fairweather fan.

I agree, its far more disturbing to see all the empty seats, people showing up late, leaving early and blaming everyone else why the crowd looks bad on TV, the fans own part of this problem. The question is do we cheer the teams victory or do we cheer the team on to victory? I choose the latter.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

I don't see anything wrong in what she said. That's the definition of a true fan as opposed to a fairweather fan.

I agree, but I also fear that Alum86's position is one held by a majority of people in Connecticut. Right or wrong, rational or irrational, they aren't going to pay these prices- or maybe any price- to see UConn vs. ECU/UCF/USF/Houston/SMU.

And thats half the league.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I also fear that Alum86's position is one held by a majority of people in Connecticut. Right or wrong, rational or irrational, they aren't going to pay these prices- or maybe any price- to see UConn vs. ECU/UCF/USF/Houston/SMU.

And thats half the league.

I understand that.

But that doesn't mean Herbst is wrong. She is simply saying that at the end of the day, UConn is a university, and as ambitious as they want to be about sports, they can only join the conferences that will have them.

Given those two facts, she's right. If the best conference is the NBE, then that's that. If you're a true fan, you'll go to the games and/or watch (since watching is relevant as well). If you're not, that's fine too!!

by the way, UConn had a lot of fans as I can remember during the early 80s. The HCC was indeed mostly packed, and the kids in my middle school followed the team. At age 10, we were well aware of who Dan Callandrillo was, we knew about Pinone and Wennington, etc.

Reaction Score

We are where we are and despite the fantasies passed off as possibility here, there's no soft-landing in sight.

Part of me would love to hear her come out and call the New New Big East a grease fire, but she can't. She says what she has to say and what she will say right up until the second she can say, thank God, we're leaving this athletic duck* hole for greener pastures.
Fishy, she doesn't need to say anything. She shouldn't have been there in the first place. Stay home. Watch the CBS Evening News, Read hate blogs. But if you aren't going to do a better job than that, you really shouldn't be there. It was like she had a series of talking points, and let's face it Joe D isn't ever being confused with Mike Wallace in his prime, but she didn't come across as if she even cared. Awful. Send Warde. Send Calhoun. Send someone who will make a passionate case for where we are and where we're going. She was horrible.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I'll always bleed Husky Blue, but she better not think for a moment that means I or any other fans are happy where we are at. We aspire for something greater, we were a part of something greater, and that's where we belong. We are no longer in a conference of peers no matter how much she may insist these schools are wonderful.

I get that she can't deliver us any news we want to hear right now, but don't piss on our legs and say its raining, either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I got attacked on this board when I pointed out, in the aftermath of Syracuse and Pitt leaving, that she seemed out of her depth and was making some very bad strategic moves. Fast forward 16 months, and Louisville, WVU, TCU, Rutgers and the C7 have found greener pastures while we are stuck on the short bus. I am pissed about where we ended up and how we got here, and I hold Herbst at lease partially responsible.

I will not freak out over an interview she gives. She didn't announce that we were made full members of the B1G last night. While upsetting, that was somewhat expected, at least for me. For those waiting for just such an announcement, you will probably be disappointed in every interview she or any other UConn president gives for the rest of your life. You should set your expectations for these interviews a little lower.

Reaction Score
The best thing for her is to stay off the airwaves.

But while she is at it. She should be truthful, because putting lipstick on this pig just kills her credibility.

And if you have nothing nice to say. Say nothing, and that means don't go on the radio and stay off the TV.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The best thing for her is to stay off the airwaves.

But while she is at it. She should be truthful, because putting lipstick on this pig just kills her credibility.

And if you have nothing nice to say. Say nothing, and that means don't go on the radio and stay off the TV.

Good point. We should stop promoting the athletic program altogether because we are unhappy about our conference situation.

Reaction Score
I got attacked on this board when I pointed out, in the aftermath of Syracuse and Pitt leaving, that she seemed out of her depth and was making some very bad strategic moves. Fast forward 16 months, and Louisville, WVU, TCU, Rutgers and the C7 have found greener pastures while we are stuck on the short bus. I am pissed about where we ended up and how we got here, and I hold Herbst at lease partially responsible.
I agree with this view. Every time she comments on the situation she comes across as utterly clueless. Jeez, I was at something the other day and was talking to someone at the medical school and she was making fun of the "winners winning" email. And she's not much of a sports fan. When she speaks on these matters Susan Herbst always sounds like something between a ditsy cheerleader and one of those politicians who gets asked about an issue he didn't have the talking points for...I had no expectations that this would be an announcement that UConn would go to the Big 1o. But I expected more than the nonsensical blather we got.

Reaction Score
Good point. We should stop promoting the athletic program altogether because we are unhappy about our conference situation.

Do me a favor. If you think I made a good point. Keep it to yourself. When you think people make good points, it undermines their credibility.

And you are guilty of a fallacy yet again.

The President staying off the airwaves doesn't equate to not promoting the Athletic Dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom