Don't patronize me Susan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Don't patronize me Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was done to bolster athletics. Call it a PR move, but have no doubt: it will increase APRs.

She could have easily taken the Harvard route (i.e. increased admission standards), but as well know, the Harvard route may place more emphasis on academics, but it does NOT increase APRs (Harvard was below the APR threshold last year).

Why did she lower academic standards then when she could have made an even bolder PR statement by upping admissions standards?
In fact she did both. One of the things they bragged about in the NCAA appeal was exactly that. How the average SAT scores and so on were much higher than those of the teams that had the poor APR scores. And how they are using higher standards now.

Reaction Score
Butch, you keep saying that people want her to trash the new Big East but nobody is calling for her to do that. Her performance was abysmal and it was clear that she didn't have a clue about some of the things she said. Merely repeating talking points someone else prepared for her and not doing it particularly well. Nobody, least of all the University of Connectucut's President, believes that Memphis, Temple and Houston (and ECU) are our peer institutions. No need to try and convince us otherwise. There was absolutely no need for the president of the University to appear on Sportstalk, especially when she had nothing to say, and given her lack of in depth knowledge on the subject, neither was she the best person to be "promoting" the new league. Sometimes it is better to do nothing than to do something badly. That's all. Leave the promoting stuff to others. her next public appearance on anything to do with athletics should be accepting another NCAA title, announcing a new head coach or our entrance into a new conference. Otherwise, just stay home.
What she is essentially doing is subliminally telling people like you to shut up and just go to games. There's no way around where we are right now. She knows how schools are run, academically and athletically. Her brother runs Colgate University. All these ****ing posts clarifying that and you still don't get it?

Reaction Score
In fact she did both. One of the things they bragged about in the NCAA appeal was exactly that. How the average SAT scores and so on were much higher than those of the teams that had the poor APR scores. And how they are using higher standards now.

I never read anything from her on SAT scores. She only mentioned the APR scores and the mandatory intersessions.

Regardless, why are you avoiding the question? Clearly, she dropped academic standards to bolster athletics.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the prospect of taking on Memphis, Temple and Cincy in basketball twice a year over the next 2 years at least.

This is so depressing it is beyond comprehension. Cincy has typically been part of the low point of the schedule for me, and I can't think of any activity I would give up to see UConn play either Temple of Memphis. And I don't care if they are ranked, and I don't care if they have history, I just don't care about either school. Add to this the fact that this is the best 6 games on our schedule and we may be on course to removing the corner seats at Gampel.

The samurai have a saying: "when it comes to death, there is only the quick choice of death." I don't know how many years our AD is planning on trodding out schedules against dreg schools, but at some point I would just assume they end it all, focus on academics, and dust the banners.

Is this defeatist? Yup.

Reaction Score
I never read anything from her on SAT scores. She only mentioned the APR scores and the mandatory intersessions.

Regardless, why are you avoiding the question? Clearly, she dropped academic standards to bolster athletics.
Well they did increase admission standards for basketball. The Average SAT scores went from mid-800s in 2008 to mid-900s on the current roster. I couldn't find the document to link it, kept getting sent to the main page, but its there somewhere. and I think the "dropping academic standards" is inside baseball for you academic types. To the general public she was cracking down and "making the players go to summer school." It was all pr.

Reaction Score
Well they did increase admission standards for basketball. The Average SAT scores went from mid-800s in 2008 to mid-900s on the current roster. I couldn't find the document to link it, kept getting sent to the main page, but its there somewhere. and I think the "dropping academic standards" is inside baseball for you academic types. To the general public she was cracking down and "making the players go to summer school." It was all pr.

When there are about 10 guys on a basketball team, SATs will fluctuate. If anyone is boasting about that, I'd like to see it. Because what comes up must come down.

It's inside baseball? Really? No Boneyarder has taken an intersession course before? These classes are universally regarded as not quite up to snuff. And that's why there are few if any upper-level courses ever offered during intersessions.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I had my friends in college tell me I should have majored in sports marketing. She has to make what we have look as appealing as possible. We are where we are. The owners of the WWE (Vince McMahon and his wife) are ECU grads. They are probably excited. There is money behind the schools coming into the new incarnation of the Big East. Personally, I'd rather be in the ACC or B1G, of course. But that will require patience. Promoting is part of her job. If she trashes it, you think that'll help sell tickets or bring in more donations? We should be fine in the end. As long as our fans don't give up on what we have. We are key to keep what we have going.

I get all that. I'm not saying she should trash it, just don't say anything at all...

Reaction Score
This is so depressing it is beyond comprehension. Cincy has typically been part of the low point of the schedule for me, and I can't think of any activity I would give up to see UConn play either Temple of Memphis. And I don't care if they are ranked, and I don't care if they have history, I just don't care about either school. Add to this the fact that this is the best 6 games on our schedule and we may be on course to removing the corner seats at Gampel.

The samurai have a saying: "when it comes to death, there is only the quick choice of death." I don't know how many years our AD is planning on trodding out schedules against dreg schools, but at some point I would just assume they end it all, focus on academics, and dust the banners.

Is this defeatist? Yup.

So what are you trying to prove, really? I want to see UConn play these teams. You don't. I mean, there are people here who are honestly touting the CYO's over Cincy? Not me. But you're free to prefer those. I don't. Not to mention that Cincy is pretty damn good in football.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the prospect of taking on Memphis, Temple and Cincy in basketball twice a year over the next 2 years at least.

I'm looking forward to those matchups as well (though that doesn't mean I'm prepared to relax and accept mediocrity), but I'm a season ticket holder for football too. I take it you don't care about football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get all that. I'm not saying she should trash it, just don't say anything at all...
That would satisfy you but a whole lot of other people, needing to find fault with leadership over current circumstances, would criticize her for not saying anything.

I don't say leadership is totally blameless. But the supporters of the program aren't much of a bargain either. The only evidence I see is people needing to complain and blame. Suggestions are great, but we all act like we would have solved things by now if we were running things. That is a conceit I find humorous.

Reaction Score
When there are about 10 guys on a basketball team, SATs will fluctuate. If anyone is boasting about that, I'd like to see it. Because what comes up must come down.

It's inside baseball? Really? No Boneyarder has taken an intersession course before? These classes are universally regarded as not quite up to snuff. And that's why there are few if any upper-level courses ever offered during intersessions.
I'm just telling you 2 things...perception and what UConn said. They said they have increased admission standards and they said they require more course work. I agree much of it is bogus. But that's inside stuff. to the general public she sounds like she's cracking down on these slugs. What do you want me to say?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
So what are you trying to prove, really? I want to see UConn play these teams. You don't. I mean, there are people here who are honestly touting the CYO's over Cincy? Not me. But you're free to prefer those. I don't. Not to mention that Cincy is pretty damn good in football.

That I think it does more harm then good to validate the non-sense that SH came out with yesterday. I appreciate that you are excited to see these teams play, but I don't think that is a majority position for any UConn fans, those that post here or otherwise.

I have tried to be an optimist on this process, but it is clear that UConn has been outmaneuvered and our leadership is over their head and I for one will not give any of them a free pass (or $).

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score

This. Is there anything more annoying than the co-worker who really sucks at their job, but who is constantly talking about how hard they are trying, and how good their work really is? That is essentially what we have in a nutshell with SH and WM, except they get paid a hell of a lot more than the people I am comparing them to.

Reaction Score
This. Is there anything more annoying than the co-worker who really sucks at their job, but who is constantly talking about how hard they are trying, and how good their work really is? That is essentially what we have in a nutshell with SH and WM, except they get paid a hell of a lot more than the people I am comparing them to.

Almost as annoying as the co-worker who thinks they can do everyone else's job better than the person that is currently doing the job (inside and outside the workplace...) ;)

Not pointed at you - just a retort to your response.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Almost as annoying as the co-worker who thinks they can do everyone else's job better than the person that is currently doing the job (inside and outside the workplace...) ;)

Touche.

But, that doesn't change their combined record of accomplishing nothing to date, including not a single positive piece of PR that I can recall. At this point I would put a single, coherent, thoughtful interview in their accomplishment bucket.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Not pointed at you - just a retort to your response.
I think you pointed at every poster in these forums.:) Good job!!!!

Reaction Score
[quote="I have tried to be an optimist on this process, but it is clear that UConn has been outmaneuvered and our leadership is over their head and I for one will not give any of them a free pass (or $).[/quote]

If you say so. You have absolutely n0 proof that UConn has been outmaneuvered and that our leadership is over our head. If you have proof that it was a leadership issue that lead the ACC to take Louisville over us, other than your blatant speculation of what the process was, tell us all what you have.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
[quote="I have tried to be an optimist on this process, but it is clear that UConn has been outmaneuvered and our leadership is over their head and I for one will not give any of them a free pass (or $).

If you say so. You have absolutely n0 proof that UConn has been outmaneuvered and that our leadership is over our head. If you have proof that it was a leadership issue that lead the ACC to take Louisville over us, other than your blatant speculation of what the process was, tell us all what you have.[/quote]

They are in the ACC, we are not despite having an advantage in academics and market, I don't need to know anymore.

Do you also request inside information to prove that the Yankees outmaneuver the Mets, or that the Giants outmaneuver the Jets? The proof is in the results.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to those matchups as well (though that doesn't mean I'm prepared to relax and accept mediocrity), but I'm a season ticket holder for football too. I take it you don't care about football.

Cincy isn't good at football? Temple beat UConn this year. East Carolina is good at football. The Navy game should be good. Memphis and Tulane suck. SMU and Houston will either be very good at football or bad, depending on the year. When was it tht Houston was ranked? 2 years ago? UCF and USF will be UCF and USF at both sports. USF was even better than some of the bball schools during its short stint in the BE. That's not saying much I guess.

Reaction Score
They are in the ACC, we are not despite having an advantage in academics and market, I don't need to know anymore.

Do you also request inside information to prove that the Yankees outmaneuver the Mets, or that the Giants outmaneuver the Jets? The proof is in the results.
It came down to football. That was it.

Reaction Score
I'm just telling you 2 things...perception and what UConn said. They said they have increased admission standards and they said they require more course work. I agree much of it is bogus. But that's inside stuff. to the general public she sounds like she's cracking down on these slugs. What do you want me to say?

Sigh. Why are you getting further and further away from the discussion. For PR purposes, she didn't need mandatory intersession. All she needed was to change the standards. But that would have resulted in weakening the athletic department. Admit it.

Reaction Score
That I think it does more harm then good to validate the non-sense that SH came out with yesterday. I appreciate that you are excited to see these teams play, but I don't think that is a majority position for any UConn fans, those that post here or otherwise.

I have tried to be an optimist on this process, but it is clear that UConn has been outmaneuvered and our leadership is over their head and I for one will not give any of them a free pass (or $).

Other than Georgetown, I'm honestly not going to miss any of the Catholics. I'd rather play the 3 schools I mentioned. Seton Hall or Tulane or rubbing mustard on the belly. Take it or leave it, who cares?

EDIT: LOL, must + ard -- now condiments are banned. Say, what if we rub must + ard on a South Carolina Gamerooster?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Up - from your perspective I agree. My view is from the perspective of opportunities missed which is an admittedly unproductive approach.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Cincy isn't good at football? Temple beat UConn this year. East Carolina is good at football. The Navy game should be good. Memphis and Tulane suck. SMU and Houston will either be very good at football or bad, depending on the year. When was it tht Houston was ranked? 2 years ago? UCF and USF will be UCF and USF at both sports. USF was even better than some of the bball schools during its short stint in the BE. That's not saying much I guess.

Cincy has a respectable football program, as do perhaps some of the others. But it's a Mid-Major league, and I won't be satisfied unless and until Connecticut is in a major conference. If we remain in a conference of this nature for any extended period of time, though I will always be a fan, Connecticut athletics will die on the vine...

Reaction Score
Cincy has a respectable football program, as do perhaps some of the others. But it's a Mid-Major league, and I won't be satisfied unless and until Connecticut is in a major conference. If we remain in a conference of this nature for any extended period of time, though I will always be a fan, Connecticut athletics will die on the vine...

No one disagrees with you. Herbst is simply dealing with reality here. UConn fans simply must show up to UCF v. UConn at the Rent, and frankly, UConn fans have shown up at MAC teams at the Rent. Just keep doing what we're doing. I know PP is a problem. I can't imagine what's going through their heads other than the fact you don't want to be known as a program that gives coaches only 2 years to prove themselves. Clearly, he's not going to work out. Consider though that Jurich, who is treated as a God around here, gave Krapthorpe 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom