2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think Howard will stay at Michigan. One of the many differences between him and KO is that Howard made $150m as a player. Money really shouldn't be an issue for him but sure, an NBA team could triple his salary no problem. It's not like NBA coaching is some mystery to him after spending seven seasons as a Miami assistant.

College recruiting is no picnic, but being an NBA coach is an absolute grind. I'm not completely shocked that Brad Stevens got out of it at age 44.
Howard's gone if he gets an NBA job offer. There are very, very few coaches who'd stay with a college gig -- even a great one, which Michigan is -- instead of going to the league.

Worst that happens is he coaches two years in the NBA, flames out badly, and returns to another Power 5 job.

Reaction Score
The difference of course being Howard has a track record of being an assistant coach in the NBA and knowing the ropes very well besides his impressive college head coaching track record.

Michigan basketball's Juwan Howard not interested in NBA jobs: Report (freep.com)

LOL. As opposed to KO, who was viewed as an assistant coach in uniform by players and front office personnel alike his last few years, and won a friggin national championship his second year as a coach.

When do we get past the point where we have to keep making up history? KO's performance fell off a cliff his last two years here and he got fired. The program has moved back into the right direction. But no amount of failure erases what was accomplished or how he was viewed before the failure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. As opposed to KO, who was viewed as an assistant coach in uniform by players and front office personnel alike his last few years, and won a friggin national championship his second year as a coach.

When do we get to the point where we have to keep making up history? KO's performance fell off a cliff his last two years here and he got fired. The program has moved back into the right direction. But no amount of failure erases what was accomplished or how he was viewed before the failure.
Won with Calhoun coached players. Stunk the joint up after that. Embarassing

Reaction Score
Martelli --> Wright --> Hoiberg --> Izzo --> Donovan --> Calipari

Your spelling is embarrassing. Another great addition to the board. Most fan bases thank their coach when he wins a national championship.

Thank you KO for the championship and an awesome job coaching during that title run.

No thank you for stinking up the joint after that and running the program into the ground. Better?

Reaction Score
Martelli --> Wright --> Hoiberg --> Izzo --> Donovan --> Calipari

Your spelling is embarrassing. Another great addition to the board. Most fan bases thank their coach when he wins a national championship.
They do.......but he gets no thanks from me for running us straight into the toilet just two short years later by committing coaching malfeasance.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

When do we get to the point where we have to keep making up history? KO's performance fell off a cliff his last two years here and he got fired. The program has moved back into the right direction. But no amount of failure erases what was accomplished or how he was viewed before the failure.

I'll let you die on making "was viewed as an assistant coach in uniform by players and front office personnel alike" the equivalency of being an actual assistant coach in the NBA.

Now, back to Clingan's recruitment and hoping whispers of other teams' coaches either being too old, too irrelevant or wanting to test the NBA waters.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance we could move this KO discussion off the Donovan Clingan thread?

I know this SOP for the Boneyard, but jeez. It's like debating who is better, Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. Argue to you heart's content...on its own focused thread.
Teddy Ballgame was clearly better at fishing and flying fighter jets, and it's not debatable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They do.......but he gets no thanks from me for running us straight into the toilet just two short years later by committing coaching malfeasance.
He certainly did not help himself by attempting to smear our 3 time national championship coach in an attempt to gain by intimidation what he was not entitled to in the courts.

Reaction Score
The optimist in me loves seeing this news. But there’s a little guy with a pitchfork on my other shoulder, and he keeps whispering the words “hamidou diallo” into my ear.
I wasn’t on the Boneyard often a few years back, but didn’t the staff drop to ball with Diallo to some extent? We obviously won’t get all of our targets, but I don’t think the staff is going to be outworked.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t on the Boneyard often a few years back, but didn’t the staff drop to ball with Diallo to some extent? We obviously won’t get all of our targets, but I don’t think the staff is going to be outworked.

I wasn’t suggesting that this staff dropped the ball, or will in the future. The little guy with the horns sitting on my left shoulder was simply reminding me that I (and many others) felt very comfortable about the prospects of Diallo wearing American Flag Blue because he spent a ton of time on campus as a high schooler.

Reaction Score
Howard's gone if he gets an NBA job offer. There are very, very few coaches who'd stay with a college gig -- even a great one, which Michigan is -- instead of going to the league.

Worst that happens is he coaches two years in the NBA, flames out badly, and returns to another Power 5 job.
Looking at you Leonard Hamilton… tough to pass on NBA money.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t suggesting that this staff dropped the ball, or will in the future. The little guy with the horns sitting on my left shoulder was simply reminding me that I (and many others) felt very comfortable about the prospects of Diallo wearing American Flag Blue because he spent a ton of time on campus as a high schooler.
I didn’t mean to actually imply you said the staff dropped the ball. I never want to feel too confident in any recruit, so I totally hear you. However it plays out, I think the class of 2022 will be a good one.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Won with Calhoun coached players. Stunk the joint up after that. Embarassing
That is such a childish take by people who dont like KO and need something to say - Embarrassing
If it occurred the following season that would merit some credence - remember that KO had to hold the team together through an initial year of being unable to play in the post season - through no fault of his and then recruit in the AAC
Yes he failed in the final 2 years and deserved to be replaced but remember that KO had recruited virtually all those JC players in the final 5 years of JCs tenure

Reaction Score
Is there any chance we could move this KO discussion off the Donovan Clingan thread?

I know this SOP for the Boneyard, but jeez. It's like debating who is better, Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. Argue to you heart's content...on its own focused thread.
Are you kidding? If you are talking pitchers, I’ll take the 20 year old Ruth by light years, on the mound for Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom