Donovan Clingan | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My experience is only with students teachers and new teachers, but the only ones I've had problems with are from UConn. The sample size is only 20 or so, so I wouldn't call it huge, but I'd imagine that you're gonna see better work out of UConn grads than CCSU on average, just because it's so easy to get into and graduate from central.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one though. Which is fine, you're not a maniac like these other guys lol.

I know people from all over the country through sports mostly. People don't really know the UConn brand outside of basketball. I think when people hear a flagship state school name like UVM or UConn, they just sort of assuming the same thing unless it's a huge academic brand like Michigan or Virginia, (vomits) UNC. You instantly associate those schools with academics if I ask about a program. I'll agree that any kind of directional school probably sounds less prestigious on the surface.

Alumni presence is a totally different animal. I'm not talking about alumni hiring or having a big presence anywhere. I'm talking about non-UConn alumni perceptions of the academics of the program.

FWIW--the new Secretary of Ed went to UConn for his 092 certification and EdD degrees. Apparently, the NEAG school of education has had a HUGE increase in application and competitiveness for admissions since then, and they are anticipating more in the next year.
UConn gets way more academic respect than you give them credit for. And we’re trending in the right direction too

Lemme ask you this, if you saw Michigan State or Penn State on a resume, would you think of that more highly than UConn?

Reaction Score
UConn gets way more academic respect than you give them credit for. And we’re trending in the right direction too

Lemme ask you this, if you saw Michigan State or Penn State on a resume, would you think of that more highly than UConn?

I think of MSU and PSU as ranked right around where UConn is. I think PSU might actually be tied with UConn on the US News ranking--the most common one people use but not my favorite. I talk to kids about college admissions all the time, so I might not be the best sample though.

Better for me if you're right though!

Reaction Score
I think of MSU and PSU as ranked right around where UConn is. I think PSU might actually be tied with UConn on the US News ranking--the most common one people use but not my favorite. I talk to kids about college admissions all the time, so I might not be the best sample though.

Yes they are all similar. UConn and Penn St are a slight step above MSU though. Those schools have brand recognition outside of Pennsylvania and Michigan, just like UConn is a name brand outside of CT.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Rankings mean nothing. UConn is better academically.
Thanks for weighing in.
Screenshot_20210530-224329.png

Reaction Score

US News is not a valid source. College administrators have told me it’s a PR scam.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I'm always astounded by what hills people choose to die on, but I never thought I'd see people dopey enough to die on the UConn is better than UM academically hill.

I suppose they are the same folks that think OJ is searching for the real killer(s).

Reaction Score
I grew up in CT but went out of state to one of the public ivies (not UM but similar level) for undergrad in the late 90s, where I was Pre-Med. At the time, I was warned by my buddies not to take Physics at my uni under penalty of academic masochism. So instead I opted for Physics 1 & 2 at UConn during one of my summers at home. The level of difficulty vs my other Pre-Med courses wasn't comparable.

That said, UConn's programs are excellent and only getting better and, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have seriously considered UConn (certainly would have been a hell of a lot less expensive).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is not about rankings academically but what school will help him exceed in basketball, academics and life. He can get that in many places, but UConn is home. That means something and his mom was a UConn grad.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This is not about rankings academically but what school will help him exceed in basketball, academics and life. He can get that in many places, but UConn is home. That means something and his mom was a UConn grad.

Very true, which is the point Husky429 was making. Then a bunch of mooks tried to argue an unarguable point, and the Boneyard was whole again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There are so many idiots on here, I can't tell. The opinions I would take as a joke with most people (ie. Michigan is a lesser academic school than UConn) are somehow taken seriously here. I'm pretty sure I could write that Sanogo should be our PG and 15% of this place would agree. I put him on ignore because I am trying to make my Boneyard experience more tolerable... so it's entirely possible he followed up with a clarification.

If DH actually gave Adama the coaching and mentorship he needs, Sanogo would be a second coming of Magic Johnson. Adama is so gifted with this footwork and understanding of the flow of the game and it's wasted as a post up 4. #FreeAdama.

Reaction Score
Are you being purposely obtuse? He listed 16 rankings and you choose to ignore them all except for 1 you don't like?
So you think they’re all completely objective? Who’s being obtuse now?

Reaction Score
No but assuming 16 different rankings all conspired to form a narrative that Michigan is a better school academically than UConn seems like a pretty crazy conspiracy. I think even you'd have to admit that
I never said Michigan wasn’t a fine school. You said I said that. I said UConn is a pretty good school too. I’m truly sorry you feel so depressed about your school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom