15 PTS
5 REB
0 AST

1 TO
0 STL
2 BLK

5/12 FG (42%)
5/8 FT (63%)

Overall: Spartans were clearly outclassed in this one talent-wise. They’re scrappy and tough, but opponent was just bigger and more talented. They could make runs shooting the ball and getting easy buckets the spartans just couldn’t.

On the two big men: Neither of the top 50 bigs in this game inspired me with their play TBH. Neither looked as dominant as I’d expect from someone with their ranking… They basically did all their work when the other big wasn’t playing. I guess it’s different than guards though. Bigs take a long time to develop.

On Donovan: Atrocious from the field today. Footwork and athleticism severely limit him at both ends. Not a shooter at all, despite what people are saying. Haven’t seen it in a game yet.

IQ seems to be improving with his better competition over the summer. Positional defense and when to contest shots is better than I’ve seen before. Rebounding was solid, really solid. A couple of TOs but they weren’t bad for someone who passes the ball as much as he did. Really excited about his potential as a passer out of the post. Desperately needs an SnC program. I think he’s a guy who will need 18 months or more to change his body and be ready for our level of competition. Needs a post-grad or redshirt year IMO. Or at least a year to 5-10 minutes a game--he is NOT a started at this level until he gets more athletic. High potential with his size and passing ability at the college level.

My train of thought when watching:

Early foul… too slow gave up the and 1 on help

Good block on his matchup early on.

Clearly not as athletic as this other 7 footer or most anyone else on the floor… just looks awkward running and moving more than the other players. He’s also humongous, so it’s not so surprising.

Decent passing out of the post. made the right read, does look a little awkward with it though. Not used to this kind of pressure… he does the weird wagging the ball thing instead of actually making actual pass fakes kids do in middle school.

Seems to drop a bunch of passes, but he also gets A LOT of passes, so I’m not sure if the % is actually bad.

Legit 7’2 or 7’3 if this other kid is really 7’. He’s noticeably taller and thicker.

Rebounding was pretty good defensively… better than I expected considering the height and athleticism of Vince Ichukwu. He did a good job boxing out his match even when he didn’t get the board.

Was THIS close to a nasty putback, but didn’t get high enough to put it in. Wouldn’t been a highlight play.

I think he looks to be contesting at the rim with some more IQ this game than I’ve seen before. Helping early, taking calculated risks. Less waving his arm down at guards and getting the auto-foul from refs.

Doesn’t rebound outside his area. Not mobile going for the ball.

Cannot defend perimeter well.

His passing is MUCH better than Vince’s. Much better. Probably better than Sanogo’s at this point too.

Sitting A LOT of time. 3 or 4x per half. I think it’s a conditioning issue.

I thought his positional defense on Vince Ichukwu was pretty good. Mostly kept him from getting lobs/backdoors and such after he went 3/4 early in the game on those. Both of them defended the other quite well, but both are also very limited offensively.

Looks decently comfortable in handoff/passing situations at the top of the key. His team runs that a lot--very similar to what we do with Sanogo or Whaley.

He had one GREAT pass late in the game. Popped it over his defenders shoulder to a cutting teammate.

Both bigs got a bunch of foul shots, but not many on each other… mostly the smaller guys needing to foul them when they get a mismatch in the post.

Donovan has a habit of claiming he didn’t foul people when he clearly smashed them on the arm on the fast break, and probably could’ve gotten an intentional call… it’s weird. Pick your battles kid.
Good write-up. Thanks.
Agree the kid might need an extra prep or RS year before becoming a factor. CB is not developing him at the pace he’s gonna need in the BE. He’s gonna be facing dudes as big as him moving forward. His size is not gonna be enough in big boy comp.

Reaction Score
Good write-up. Thanks.
Agree the kid might need an extra prep or RS year before becoming a factor. CB is not developing him at the pace he’s gonna need in the BE. He’s gonna be facing dudes as big as him moving forward. His size is not gonna be enough in big boy comp.
He probably won't face anyone as big as him at the college level but the point stands, he's facing mostly 6'2 bigs at the high school level who have no future in basketball and he'll be facing 6'10 top flight bigs at the college level. A year of facing those type of kids before his freshman year would obviously help him.

Reaction Score
If you've DM'd me and I didn't respond, it's because I don't have much to say on the topic. No, I don't think he's bad. No, we shouldn't stop recruiting him today. That is over the top based on one game. When we were talking about our 2021 recruits, I've seen each of them play in at least 4 games. Hawkins I've seen I think 12. Donovan had a less than stellar game. It happens to everyone. This is the first AAU game I've seen him play in--I have no idea if this is a regular occurrence. I'm not drawing conclusions from that.

What I will say is that

1) I think he has the potential to be an excellent college player because he is absolutely gigantic and passes well for a big. Those will be his best attributes going forward.

2) the difference between him being very good or not will be dependent on how he develops in an SnC program. His footwork is pretty good, he just isn't strong or quick enough for his drop steps/up and unders, etc. to actually be effective. He isn't really catching tons of lobs or dunking the ball as much as he should (think junior year Carlton). All the pieces of skill he's developing will be much more effective against great competition if it's backed up with muscle and mobility.

3) If I were anyone involved in his recruitment, I would tell him to take a post-grad year and reclass to 2023. I think going to college for 2022 and sitting a year would help him, but getting into a top-notch local prep school (Brewster is only an hour away!) with a good SnC program and solid competition would do wonders for him.
Like I have said before, his current high school program will set his development back 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Don‘t want to be Villanova North. Want to be UConn. Shot blocking, fast breaks, pressure D, scoring at the rim. This is why I’m asking Dan to change. He’s getting UConn guys, not Villanova guys. Act like it.
Oh, I agree. Was replying to someone that said VU North was Hurley’s goal. I want to be the old UConn. Part of that means using the talents you have instead of forcing them into your system. Drove me crazy to see Josh trying to hedge at 35’. Whaley, however, was made for that… but not when he was the only big on the court.

Reaction Score
Yep I just typed in brewster on google maps. Must have brought me to brewster NY instead of Wolfboro.

Still, 4 hours is close enough his dad could get to a lot of his games.

Just looking around at some good programs... TPS is only a couple hours from Bristol, 2.5 for Roselle, etc. Those could be options too.
Or the one thats literally in UConn's backyard..? PSA is right there

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Oh, I agree. Was replying to someone that said VU North was Hurley’s goal. I want to be the old UConn. Part of that means using the talents you have instead of forcing them into your system. Drove me crazy to see Josh trying to hedge at 35’. Whaley, however, was made for that… but not when he was the only big on the court.

Yes that was me. Didn’t mean to be confusing. I think DH is chasing that Villanova model, but I’m not sure he should or that it’s the best approach to winning at UConn. We seem to be really successful recruiting bigs.

Reaction Score
The only numbers there that matter, college prep in CT - 47 of 63 and best private high schools in CT - 48 of 63...

Not that the website in general isn't bunk, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to this kid but are there better options we are in on? I’d rather get another Sanogo than a semi unathletic giant lol
You have a point, in that he may not fit the style of play DH seems to favor, but his story is so compelling (loss of his mother, plus he's a local kid with great potential if properly developed) he should be a Husky and give his family the chance to see him play throughout his college career as he helps UConn win #'s 5 and 6 (don't want to get greedy!).

Reaction Score
Then I guess it will come down to minutes for filipowski with Samson most likely being in that role already. Does he come here knowing a guy like that might be in front of him.
My guess is that Filipowski probably ends up at Duke. He's not going to be scared of Samson Johnson.

Reaction Score
My guess is that Filipowski probably ends up at Duke. He's not going to be scared of Samson Johnson.
If ya think he’s ending up there I guess none of the other stuff matters too much. Appreciate hearing ur perspective

Reaction Score
Akok went there and he's a good player

Never answered this, but... They have decent or better basketball. But the funding, academics, and facilities are sketchy.

Frankly, Akok's recruitment and high school career WAS pretty weird. Having had some inside info, I was surprised to learn that he was eligible year 1.

I think @M.S.G. might have been the one with the tea on how weird PSA is.

Reaction Score
Like I have said before, his current high school program will set his development back 2-3 years.
Maybe this experience will make his camp reevaluate their game plan
You can have the skills to play at an elite level but if u r not used to the level of competition it's easy to come across not prepared.
He needs a higher level of consistent peel for top level college comp

Reaction Score
Never answered this, but... They have decent or better basketball. But the funding, academics, and facilities are sketchy.

Frankly, Akok's recruitment and high school career WAS pretty weird. Having had some inside info, I was surprised to learn that he was eligible year 1.

I think @M.S.G. might have been the one with the tea on how weird PSA is.

I've told the story so many times I'm surprised there hasn't been a hit put out on me

Reaction Score
I am just hoping the staff has a plan with options and a timeline so we get the players we need. We don’t HAVE to have him - would like to but at some point if it’s not happening move on.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I think people forget how hard it is to find quality bigs...

It’s an absolute gift to have a guy with this kind of upside in your backyard, even if he is going to need some development (what young big doesn’t?). It’s natural for the hype of a recruit to run overboard to the point where people are starting to walk it back, especially because he’s been on our radar for so long but lets not lose perspective on how fortunate we potentially are. Even blue bloods are forced to take swings on developmental bigs (Duke taking Coleman a few years ago comes to mind) because it’s just not a market that is flooded with high end guys.

Im as guilty of letting the wish be the father of the thought as anyone when it comes to recruits, but with Clingan I think we all just need to take a deep breath and stop overthinking it. Even if he’s not a ready-made product on day 1, he’s got such a high ceiling due to his size/skills that it’s foolish to think we should suddenly start overthinking this one.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I think people forget how hard it is to find quality bigs...

It’s an absolute gift to have a guy with this kind of upside in your backyard, even if he is going to need some development (what young big doesn’t?). It’s natural for the hype of a recruit to run overboard to the point where people are starting to walk it back, especially because he’s been on our radar for so long but lets not lose perspective on how fortunate we potentially are. Even blue bloods are forced to take swings on developmental bigs (Duke taking Coleman a few years ago comes to mind) because it’s just not a market that is flooded with high end guys.

Im as guilty of letting the wish be the father of the thought as anyone when it comes to recruits, but with Clingan I think we all just need to take a deep breath and stop overthinking it. Even if he’s not a ready-made product on day 1, he’s got such a high ceiling due to his size/skills that it’s foolish to think we should suddenly start overthinking this one.
I think people forget how hard it is to find quality players willing to commit here or anywhere else outside of UK, KU, UNC, DU...

It's nice for casual fans to have recruiting prioritizing wish lists and all, but securing 3, 4 or 5 quality players in any particular year is a job very well done by any coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom