2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People do realize how difficult it is for a 7' player to correctly box out a player almost a foot shorter, correct?

I get that a tall player should try to get between player and the rim, but there is so much more to boxing out that is easier when opponent is of like size.

Reaction Score
Was also at game and mostly agree with posts above from DB24MTN. He started slow and agree that teammates have a difficult time getting him ball. He had about 4 jams, 1 ( mentioned above) that brought down the house. He is not a finished product, but I dont remember any 7 foot 15 year old sophomore (I have ever seen) do the things he does.
Out of curiosity, how many 7 foot 15 year old sophomores have you seen? LOL

Reaction Score
It is extremely difficult to project how good a big will be in high school because they don't play many games against other people their size who are D-1 prospects, and you can't expect them to really develop the habits they will need against players their size when they get to college and face them. Period.

You can tell is someone has the tools. The strength. The athleticism. The coordination. But you aren't going to be able to tell how good they'll be at the next level.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
It is extremely difficult to project how good a big will be in high school because they don't play many games against other people there size who are D-1 prospects, and you can't expect them to really develop the habits they will need against players their size when they get to college and face them. Period.

You can tell is someone has the tools. The strength. The athleticism. The coordination. But you aren't going to be able to tell how good they'll be at the next level.

Why not? If a player has strength, athleticism, coordination, and tools, then what remains in achieving excellence is coaching, dedication, intelligence, and character to put in the work of skill development. If UConn knows they can provide the coaching, why can't they evaluate his dedication, intelligence, and character? If he has all the ingredients, he will be a success at the next level.

Reaction Score
Why not? If a player has strength, athleticism, coordination, and tools, then what remains in achieving excellence is coaching, dedication, intelligence, and character to put in the work of skill development. If UConn knows they can provide the coaching, why can't they evaluate his dedication, intelligence, and character? If he has all the ingredients, he will be a success at the next level.

Because not all players take to coaching the same way, and can hear criticism and develop better habits the same way. This seems so easy that we all take it for granted, but for whatever reason not all players develop good habits and skills. See, e.g., Wilson, Sidney.

pj

Reaction Score
Because not all players take to coaching the same way, and can hear criticism and develop better habits the same way. This seems so easy that we all take it for granted, but for whatever reason not all players develop good habits and skills. See, e.g., Wilson, Sidney.

Yes, I know. I just think these traits are evaluable. They can be summed up as dedication, intelligence, and character.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know. I just think these traits are evaluable. They can be summed up as dedication, intelligence, and character.

If you're evaluating a perimeter player it's easier because if they don't do things the right way, their game will suffer. It's very hard to know about a 7 footer who isn't taking to coaching because the truth is that in public high school there is no need to focus on your fundamentals because you don't need them to dominate.

There was once a highly touted big from Long Island in the 70s -- I want to say Graziano -- who went to South Carolina. I remember reading in Street and Smith's about how great he was going to be, and how dominant, but they ended the description by saying something like "The only potential flaw is that the few times that he played against big, black players (yes, in the 70s people did still talk about race in basketball) he looked like he might be intimidated." Obviously, having to play those types of opponents day in and day out, his career was relatively mediocre.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
If you're evaluating a perimeter player it's easier because if they don't do things the right way, their game will suffer. It's very hard to know about a 7 footer who isn't taking to coaching because the truth is that in public high school there is no need to focus on your fundamentals because you don't need them to dominate.

There was once a highly touted big from Long Island in the 70s -- I want to say Graziano -- who went to South Carolina. I remember reading in Street and Smith's about how great he was going to be, and how dominant, but they ended the description by saying something like "The only potential flaw is that the few times that he played against big, black players (yes, in the 70s people did still talk about race in basketball) he looked like he might be intimidated." Obviously, having to play those types of opponents day in and day out, his career was relatively mediocre.

Interesting counter-example, thanks. There are undoubtedly cases like that, where it is impossible to tell whether he'll mature out of his fear or not. A coach like Jim Calhoun who was a great sports psychologist might have made him a success.

However, in most cases, I think talking to coaches, to other players, to the player himself, building a relationship, asking why things happened the way they did -- over time, you can generally tell what the challenges are. Then you have to judge the probability of overcoming them. The better the coach and staff, and the better the character of the player, the more readily players can overcome their challenges.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Putting up those numbers against a public school whose tallest player is 6’2’’ says nothing about how well he would do against college competition down the road. How is this difficult?

I agree and haven't seen him play, but what large public HS team has a 6'2" center? That's crazy. When I was at Manchester my friend's brother was a small forward at 6'4". I coached RI Catholic middle school hoops (girls) and still in every tournament the boys 7th and 8th grade teams had guys at least 6'4".

Reaction Score
I agree and haven't seen him play, but what large public HS team has a 6'2" center? That's crazy. When I was at Manchester my friend's brother was a small forward at 6'4". I coached RI Catholic middle school hoops (girls) and still in every tournament the boys 7th and 8th grade teams had guys at least 6'4".

I agree, sounds crazy to me too. My cousin plays at one of the smallest public schools in the state and he's like 6'3". I find it hard to believe the big public schools aren't fielding taller teams.

DB24MTN

UConn 2019 NCAA Champions
Reaction Score
28 points, 18 rebounds and 11 blocks. Guess that's not good enough? Geez. You guys are tough

I was looking at it from a perspective that the next tallest guy on the court was 6'2". I was also definitely being tough because he had such an advantage over everyone else that I had to look for things he could improve on. That being says he does A LOT of things well and he has three more years of development which is scary. He's going to be a beast, hopefully it's for the good guys.

DB24MTN

Reaction Score
I agree, sounds crazy to me too. My cousin plays at one of the smallest public schools in the state and he's like 6'3". I find it hard to believe the big public schools aren't fielding taller teams.

Trust me, I was shocked as well considering Greenwhich is what, 2000+ strong? They had one of the smaller teams I've seen. It could also just be the fact that he was standing next to a 7' 15 year old that made him look so small, but regardless his matchup was not very big.

DB24MTN

Reaction Score

Heres the dunk. I overreacted to it as I posted in real time but as ucjoet said it brought the house down. Exactly what you like to see.I rarely see high school players dunk (I dont watch prep) so this was very exciting for me.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What he has done during the summer with AAU should be where you would judge him more than playing in the CCC in Connecticut. He will always be the tallest player on the court this season. Sometimes a young players wants to be playing with friends because soon enough he won't be

Reaction Score
Shawn McFarland is at the game tonight and posting some video as the game happens

Reaction Score
Went to see Clingan tonight vs Wolcott. Tallest kid on the other team was probably 6’0 at best. First half they looked to throw the ball into him consistently and he showed good one dribble power moves to the right. Defensively he was blocking any layup attempt and the other team stopped taking any shots inside the arc. Second half the team didn’t look inside very much but the other team was overmatched. Overall a performance you would expect watching a 7 footer play in the CCC.

Oliver Wolcott??

Reaction Score
It's not his top 5; he's only a sophomore. I believe it's just the 5 schools who have offered him so far. I am pretty sure there are a few other high majors interested, but I haven't heard of any more official offers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not his top 5; he's only a sophomore. I believe it's just the 5 schools who have offered him so far. I am pretty sure there are a few other high majors interested, but I haven't heard of any more official offers.

Surprised BC isn’t there.

Reaction Score
I hate what AAU and preps have done to high school basketball. Class S had some D1 players back in the day. It’s a shame. CT high school basketball used to be excellent at all levels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul