Donovan Clingan thread - already off topic and not worth reading unless you are CL82, his fans, or are at work or too drunk to do anything else | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan thread - already off topic and not worth reading unless you are CL82, his fans, or are at work or too drunk to do anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1624916503428.png

Still early, but good to see.

Reaction Score
My Boneyard brothers, I have a request. Can somebody break his game down, @Ricker , @husky429 , @Burnsbros23 , anybody else who feels like they know. CT Gatorade I know, but is he just bigger than his opponents or does he have serious game, serious potential? What does he do well?

Reaction Score
He has incredible mojo. Get that man over to the JJ Starling thread!!
Let's not bury the guy yet. Bossi's 6 is a only a hunch. I hope DC comes here but recruiting is fluid so take the cb with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
Flip ain’t coming here.
Swapping Flip with Karaban, still gives UConn the #1 class for 2022 (granted it's June about to be July) -- could be a massive week on the trail. It would be a score of 58 which is usually a top 20 class. Add one more guy to Floyd Jr., Clingan, and Karaban to get it up to 4 guys and it's a top 10 class again.

Reaction Score
My Boneyard brothers, I have a request. Can somebody break his game down, @Ricker , @husky429 , @Burnsbros23 , anybody else who feels like they know. CT Gatorade I know, but is he just bigger than his opponents or does he have serious game, serious potential? What does he do well?

This is what I posted before. It was his first game vs a legit, big time AAU big.

Donovan Stats:

6 PTS
9 REB (3 offensive)
2 AST

2 TO
1 STL
2 BLK

1/13 FG (8%)
4/9 FT (44%)

Vince Stats:

15 PTS
5 REB
0 AST

1 TO
0 STL
2 BLK

5/12 FG (42%)
5/8 FT (63%)

Overall: Spartans were clearly outclassed in this one talent-wise. They’re scrappy and tough, but opponent was just bigger and more talented. They could make runs shooting the ball and getting easy buckets the spartans just couldn’t.

On the two big men: Neither of the top 50 bigs in this game inspired me with their play TBH. Neither looked as dominant as I’d expect from someone with their ranking… They basically did all their work when the other big wasn’t playing. I guess it’s different than guards though. Bigs take a long time to develop.

On Donovan:
Atrocious from the field today. Footwork and athleticism severely limit him at both ends. Not a shooter at all, despite what people are saying. Haven’t seen it in a game yet.

IQ seems to be improving with his better competition over the summer. Positional defense and when to contest shots is better than I’ve seen before. Rebounding was solid, really solid. A couple of TOs but they weren’t bad for someone who passes the ball as much as he did. Really excited about his potential as a passer out of the post. Desperately needs an SnC program. I think he’s a guy who will need 18 months or more to change his body and be ready for our level of competition. Needs a PG or redshirt year IMO. High potential with his size and passing ability at the college level.

My train of thought when watching:

Early foul… too slow gave up the and 1 on help

Good block on his matchup early on.

Clearly not as athletic as this other 7 footer or most anyone else on the floor… just looks awkward running and moving more than the other players. He’s also humongous, so it’s not so surprising.

Decent passing out of the post. made the right read, does look a little awkward with it though. Not used to this kind of pressure… he does the weird wagging the ball thing instead of actually making actual pass fakes kids do in middle school.

Seems to drop a bunch of passes, but he also gets A LOT of passes, so I’m not sure if the % is actually bad.

Legit 7’2 or 7’3 if this other kid is really 7’. He’s noticeably taller and thicker.

Rebounding was pretty good defensively… better than I expected considering the height and athleticism of Vince Ichukwu. He did a good job boxing out his match even when he didn’t get the board.

Was THIS close to a nasty putback, but didn’t get high enough to put it in. Wouldn’t been a highlight play.

I think he looks to be contesting at the rim with some more IQ this game than I’ve seen before. Helping early, taking calculated risks. Less waving his arm down at guards and getting the auto-foul from refs.

Doesn’t rebound outside his area. Not mobile going for the ball.

Cannot defend perimeter well.

His passing is MUCH better than Vince’s. Much better. Probably better than Sanogo’s at this point too.

Sitting A LOT of time. 3 or 4x per half. I think it’s a conditioning issue.

I thought his positional defense on Vince Ichukwu was pretty good. Mostly kept him from getting lobs/backdoors and such after he went 3/4 early in the game on those. Both of them defended the other quite well, but both are also very limited offensively.

Looks decently comfortable in handoff/passing situations at the top of the key. His team runs that a lot--very similar to what we do with Sanogo or Whaley.

He had one GREAT pass late in the game. Popped it over his defenders shoulder to a cutting teammate.

Both bigs got a bunch of foul shots, but not many on each other… mostly the smaller guys needing to foul them when they get a mismatch in the post.

Donovan has a habit of claiming he didn’t foul people when he clearly smashed them on the arm on the fast break, and probably could’ve gotten an intentional call… it’s weird. Pick your battles kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom