Don Brown to UMass | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Don Brown to UMass

Reaction Score
Looks like brown just wanted to be a head coach again bad. Wanted UConn, UConn said no. I think if Brown was 60 he woulda been hired here. It’s going to be interesting. I think Mora is gunna need to learn the area way quicker than normal bc brown could potentially kick his behind on the trail here Initially. Was a nice hire by Umass. I favor Mora still bc I think he can really reel in some nice talent and is more progressive offensively.

Mora is just a better fit at this moment. Brown is an OUTSTANDING coach. They will be better and UCONN will benefit from having 2 NE programs getting better.

Remember DB said he thought charisma is an important part of being our HC, I actually think we can get back the sellouts and State to follow our FB team; that's important - plus the recruiting. Don Brown won't have that kind of impact in Central & Western Massachusetts; let alone Boston. This is great.

Reaction Score
RE 2.0 D. Brown 2.0 Can Pasqualoni 2.0 be far behind ?
Brown has been fairly successful everywhere he's been. He'll have them at least respectable by time his contract is up. P died by his OC choice, but if Brown could bring him as a position coach then that defense is going to be Top 10 in a few years. Edsall only succeed at UConn his first go around. This time (and I had to say it) it was an utter failure in terms of everything.

Reaction Score
Brown has been fairly successful everywhere he's been. He'll have them at least respectable by time his contract is up. P died by his OC choice, but if Brown could bring him as a position coach then that defense is going to be Top 10 in a few years. Edsall only succeed at UConn his first go around. This time (and I had to say it) it was an utter failure in terms of everything.
You think UMass is going to have a top 10 defense???

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Oh crap, now UMass got a P5 invite over UConn? Recruiting for UMass is going to get quite the bump in the PAC12! Those rivalry games with USC and Oregon will be epic.

UConn can just never catch a break!

/s
E58DFDD3-E2F5-402B-BFEE-C49B73B9A86D.png

Reaction Score
You think UMass is going to have a top 10 defense???
P as a Dline coach and he still can probably recruit so yeah I do. Plus they play a bunch of nobodies that will inflate their stats

Reaction Score
Good lord, this is what happens when u suck for a decade - dreams of don brown hiring p (whom he bagged out on here) and them both leading a top 10 d while grabbing blue plate specials on Amherst.

Reaction Score
Good lord, this is what happens when u suck for a decade - dreams of don brown hiring p (whom he bagged out on here) and them both leading a top 10 d while grabbing blue plate specials on Amherst.
That isn't a dream. Brown has had a top defense at literally every stop he's been at. And P is a well respected defensive coach at all levels that can recruit CT well. UConn didn't exactly have world beating talent when Brown was here, but he still had a top 10 defense in the country. And that was with an offense almost as inept as our current. Defensively UMass will be strong by the end of next year because Brown knows how to maximize the talent on the team on that side of the ball.

Reaction Score
That isn't a dream. Brown has had a top defense at literally every stop he's been at. And P is a well respected defensive coach at all levels that can recruit CT well. UConn didn't exactly have world beating talent when Brown was here, but he still had a top 10 defense in the country. And that was with an offense almost as inept as our current. Defensively UMass will be strong by the end of next year because Brown knows how to maximize the talent on the team on that side of the ball.
He had a lot of draft picks on his defense here. 2 corner backs, Gratz and Wilson, Sio Moore at LB, Shamar Stephen at DT. He will have to workout really well to get talent like that up there.

Reaction Score
He had a lot of draft picks on his defense here. 2 corner backs, Gratz and Wilson, Sio Moore at LB, Shamar Stephen at DT. He will have to workout really well to get talent like that up there.
Thanks for bringing a few facts to fantasy land. I like DB, but keep in mind - we didn’t win with him, we couldn’t hold leads, UM couldn’t win with him and AZ makes us look ok. I hope he does well, I’m just not confusing fantasy w/reality.

Reaction Score
Thanks for bringing a few facts to fantasy land. I like DB, but keep in mind - we didn’t win with him, we couldn’t hold leads, UM couldn’t win with him and AZ makes us look ok. I hope he does well, I’m just not confusing fantasy w/reality.
Other good players like Byron Jones and Yawin Smallwood.

Reaction Score
Count me among what I am sure is a small number of UConn loyalists who believe that a stronger UMass football program helps UConn football.

It would be great if UConn football had a local rivalry game each season.
IF we both remain independent. It only makes sense to play each other yearly. Gives a game that fans of both schools can travel to fairly easy and if both UConn and UMass at least look competent then that helps both schools because then the game becomes a rivalry.

Reaction Score
He will get his type of players. Transfers. Players that might not be highest rated but are fast and hit hard. He gets the most out of his players and he did at UConn.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Brown to UMass is good for them. His D was great until the red zone. Then it was swiss cheese. In today's day and age, he needs great athletes to run it. Not sure UMass is going to be turned around as easily as people think. There are lots and lots of challenges and he still needs to get a decent offense going to.

Reaction Score
Byron Jones, Melafonwu, Adams, too. His defenses were always predicated on both corners being able to cover man to man very well enabling other members of the D to exploit number advantages.

Reaction Score
Brown to UMass is good for them. His D was great until the red zone. Then it was swiss cheese. In today's day and age, he needs great athletes to run it. Not sure UMass is going to be turned around as easily as people think. There are lots and lots of challenges and he still needs to get a decent offense going to.
Yup, this is been the problem with Donald Brown's defenses. His defenses are really good at preventing teams from getting into the red zone and fun to watch, but they do not hold up in the red zone. Still, he should be able to turn around UMass defense and I would love to have him at UConn as DC.

The stats at Michigan bear that out:

2016: Yards allowed: #1, RZ scoring %: #3, RZ TD %: 15
2017: Yards allowed: #3, RZ scoring %: #64, RZ TD %: #69
2018: Yards allowed: #2, RZ scoring %: #129, RZ TD %: #90
2019: Yards allowed: #11, RZ scoring %: #35, RZ TD %: #122
2020: Yards allowed: #84, RZ scoring %: #118, RZ TD %: #114

Same RZ problem at UConn:

2011: Yards allowed: #51, RZ scoring %: #69, RZ TD %: #52
2012: Yards allowed: #9, RZ scoring %: #111, RZ TD %: #58

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yup, this is been the problem with Donald Brown's defenses. His defenses are really good at preventing teams from getting into the red zone and fun to watch, but they do not hold up in the red zone. Still, he should be able to turn around UMass defense and I would love to have him at UConn as DC.

The stats at Michigan bear that out:

2016: Yards allowed: #1, RZ scoring %: #3, RZ TD %: 15
2017: Yards allowed: #3, RZ scoring %: #64, RZ TD %: #69
2018: Yards allowed: #2, RZ scoring %: #129, RZ TD %: #90
2019: Yards allowed: #11, RZ scoring %: #35, RZ TD %: #122
2020: Yards allowed: #84, RZ scoring %: #118, RZ TD %: #114

Same RZ problem at UConn:

2011: Yards allowed: #51, RZ scoring %: #69, RZ TD %: #52
2012: Yards allowed: #9, RZ scoring %: #111, RZ TD %: #58
the question begs will he have the athletes to make his D work. The UConn D he had and the Michigan D had the athletes. UMass doesn't have many athletes on D. Additionally, unless he is HC/DC - he will be spread around the whole team. Whomever his D coordinator will have to be in the weeds for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom