Don Brown to UMass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don Brown to UMass

Reaction Score
It was no fluke that UMass beat us by 2 TDs. They gave Army a game on the road yesterday. With Brown they will get sigfnificantly better. Even with Mora and a new staff it may be a while before we can overtake them if they actually get him. I hope we don't come to regret hiring Mora vs Brown.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he was considered, he was the MD DC. Whipple for sure.
Bad job by us, but not surprising. Every wrong move that could be made, has been made.

Reaction Score
It was no fluke that UMass beat us by 2 TDs. They gave Army a game on the road yesterday. With Brown they will get sigfnificantly better. Even with Mora and a new staff it may be a while before we can overtake them if they actually get him. I hope we don't come to regret hiring Mora vs Brown.
This is really laughable. That program has no upside and they refuse to spend any money on football. Not going to worry about UMass.

Reaction Score
Eh, UCONN had a better team but UMASS wanted it more. If Brown goes there they’ll win some games like Whipple did. Four to maybe five games. I work at UMASS and what boggles my mind is UCONN has invested so much more but not much more success.

Reaction Score

silly

It is great for us ... and UMass if we both have solid Programs and Don Brown + Jim Mora succeed. Are you the kind of guys that regret the girl the day after your married?

Mora has what was sketched out for us. My biggest concern is something we need to find in the next few weeks - Northeastern US recruiting + capacity to fluidly embrace the transfer portal. Let me make one guarantee ( with no evidence): We will get better QB play than UMass from now through the next few years.

Reaction Score

Looks like brown just wanted to be a head coach again bad. Wanted UConn, UConn said no. I think if Brown was 60 he woulda been hired here. It’s going to be interesting. I think Mora is gunna need to learn the area way quicker than normal bc brown could potentially kick his behind on the trail here Initially. Was a nice hire by Umass. I favor Mora still bc I think he can really reel in some nice talent and is more progressive offensively.

Reaction Score
Mora will have more support anyways. I’m sure Charlie Baker ain’t calling him. He could give a F about UMASS.
Yeah probably why brown wanted UConn. He wants the support. He’s gunna want a nice assistant pool. Facilities. Etc. UConn already had that. But that being said, good for him for not backing down from that challenge.

Reaction Score
Yeah probably why brown wanted UConn. He wants the support. He’s gunna want a nice assistant pool. Facilities. Etc. UConn already had that. But that being said, good for him for not backing down from that challenge.
Nothing to lose. Either it works out and names successor or retires

Reaction Score

-> Brown will get an increase in salary from what former UMass HC Walt Bell made during his tenure but it will still likely be less than what he would have made at Arizona. The fact that Brown turned down that raise to come back to Massachusetts and take over a program desperate for direction certainly speaks to the desire he has not only to be a head coach but to succeed at UMass.

Word is that the compensation pool for the assistant coaches Brown will hire has also been raised from the previous staff but only in the neighborhood of $500K total. <-

Reaction Score

-> Brown will get an increase in salary from what former UMass HC Walt Bell made during his tenure but it will still likely be less than what he would have made at Arizona. The fact that Brown turned down that raise to come back to Massachusetts and take over a program desperate for direction certainly speaks to the desire he has not only to be a head coach but to succeed at UMass.

Word is that the compensation pool for the assistant coaches Brown will hire has also been raised from the previous staff but only in the neighborhood of $500K total. <-

What a lack of investment

Reaction Score

I was at West Point Saturday - UMass put up a good fight, although most of the Army folks thought that Army might have been looking past UMass towards Army/Navy.

Reaction Score

$500K total? Wow.

Reaction Score
If we are really worried about our ability to outcompete UMass on the field or in living rooms, we really need to reassess wth we are doing. This hire was about so much more than beating some regional red-headed stepchild. This is about getting back to where we were 10-15 years ago, not beating the 1 program no conf wants.

Reaction Score
I’m now thinking that has to be a typo/or the way it was written… when they hired Bell it was in the neighborhood of $1.5m +/- so maybe he means it increases $500k from that previous level?

Agreed - that just doesn't make any sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom