Dom Amore: Sophomore Andre Jackson embracing the challenge, responsibility of being ‘that guy’ for post-pandemic UConn men | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: Sophomore Andre Jackson embracing the challenge, responsibility of being ‘that guy’ for post-pandemic UConn men

Reaction Score
Andre as a 35% 3pt shooter transforms this team.

Try 30%. He doesn't even need to be that good at shooting to change the dynamic. His defender literally didn't need to guard anything but lobs and putbacks last year... give this kid a 1-2 dribble drive to the rim, and a 3 point shot off the catch, and we have a winner.

A 6'7 point-forward that can lead the break, rebound, defend, and jump out of the gym is a game-changer. Allows Cole to play off-ball and hit 3s for us. Park Hawkins and Polley in the corners, and then you have a HUGE area in the paint to let Sanogo operate.

Spacing is everything. We can always use more.

Reaction Score
AJ being 100% healthy and clearly motivated to be one of the leaders on this team as a soph.--With other mature players on team like IW/AS/RJ/TM .. Points to a great summer for skill development and SnC.

He is a smart kid with a great BB IQ and work ethic. I am not as worried about him figuring out his stroke as others seem to be. You can point to his percentages last year while playing in a support role and playing hurt most of the year

He can score in different ways and trust me..No one knows more than him that the improvement of his perimeter shooting will be a key component to his value at the next level. Sounds like he's putting in the time needed to get it done.

Already forgotten about last year. Let's turn the page. DH has.

Anyone who has played BB at any level knows that the more you see the ball go in the hoop.. The greater your confidence and self-belief becomes. I'm betting on AJ to break out this year.

Reaction Score
I love this. So nice to see him embracing that role. Knowing he's the guy. I'm not sure Bouknight really did, even if he was. So now the question on those makes, how many misses are there to get those makes? Let's get that number down.

Andre as a 35% 3pt shooter transforms this team.
Let's get him to 20 or 25% first from 3. I'm not even sure it's an exaggeration to say Andre Jackson shooting 35+% from 3 would be the best player in the Big East and one of the better players in the country

Reaction Score
Y’all are trippin. Instead of being happy he’s working hard we have ANOTHER thread over run by OT non sense about god damn sleep schedules.... it’s the SAME people every topic, every time. If you think I’m talking to you then you are an offender. Maybe find a friend or three...
Y’all are trippin. Instead of being happy he’s working hard we have ANOTHER thread over run by OT non sense about god damn sleep schedules.... it’s the SAME people every topic, every time. If you think I’m talking to you then you are an offender. Maybe find a friend or three...
How anyone could read that article and come away with anything even slightly negative is mind boggling

Reaction Score
Andre can impact the game in so many ways. It sounds like he is putting in the work to really improve his shot, and if he can improve his handle a little bit as well he will be a vastly different player as a sophomore. Next year should be an exciting season despite the loss of Bouk. Lots of talent and a nice blend of experience and incoming freshmen.

Reaction Score
This. I think it’s really a reflection too as to why we didn’t lose anyone with a significant role on the team to the portal, unlike other schools. Dan has a real special connection with this team. In turn, they seem to really want to perform for him.
Hurley is authentic, for better or for worse at times. But there’s no denying he’d go to war for his players. There’s no one way to build a program, but I can appreciate how Hurley doesn’t try to be something he’s not. He’s never been a big transfer guy: recruit, retain, develop, that’s his M.O. That strategy can absolutely still work at a high level. Hearing guys like Andre acknowledge that tells me he’s got the whole team buying into that mindset. Well see how it shakes out, but I’m expecting a big jump from Andre and the team to put together a good showing.

Reaction Score
Absolutely on point @Chin Diesel , this is the truth of the matter. The big upside to Andre is his potential for having a complete game; the IQ, court vision, passing, open floor, ball handling, driving, ability to guard a bigger opposing point right through the 4 spot, aggressiveness, leadership, rebounding, all these things that make for quality minutes on the floor.

Sounds like he is working hard on his shooting, I hope the rest of the team follows his example.

I agree with both of you on this however if he can't find ways to score outside of dunks and cutbacks, his full skill set will not be as impactful (..for 8893 lol). He needs to be able to hit shots of some sort and make the defenses concern themselves with that. Then his drive and dish ability will be even much more respected.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Andre is The Answer.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Try 30%. He doesn't even need to be that good at shooting to change the dynamic. His defender literally didn't need to guard anything but lobs and putbacks last year... give this kid a 1-2 dribble drive to the rim, and a 3 point shot off the catch, and we have a winner.

Hes got to finish off the bounce going to the rim too. Almost as important or maybe even more so than being a mild 3 point threat. Andre's handle is decent , we know his passing and court vision/awareness is off the charts good. It was easy to see last year why he was an ineffective 3 point shooter. What flummoxed me was his few forays into the paint off the bounce where he couldnt get a layup off, or if he got it up it wasnt even close going in. Someone like him should be eating guys alive if he gets a step on them in the paint. Otherwise other teams can just play him for the paint dump off. He needs to posterize some people off the bounce this year, not just from alley oops or breakaways. Then he is a threat.

Reaction Score
Hes got to finish off the bounce going to the rim too. Almost as important or maybe even more so than being a mild 3 point threat. Andre's handle is decent , we know his passing and court vision/awareness is off the charts good. It was easy to see last year why he was an ineffective 3 point shooter. What flummoxed me was his few forays into the paint off the bounce where he couldnt get a layup off, or if he got it up it wasnt even close going in. Someone like him should be eating guys alive if he gets a step on them in the paint. Otherwise other teams can just play him for the paint dump off. He needs to posterize some people off the bounce this year, not just from alley oops or breakaways. Then he is a threat.
It's cause he couldn't get a step on anyone when they were sagging off and already in the paint whenever he was defended.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It's cause he couldn't get a step on anyone when they were sagging off and already in the paint whenever he was defended.
It’s true. But he did get there from time to time. And he had shooters to kick to even if he couldn’t shoot tge 3 , which sometimes opened up driving lanes. And results were as bad as the 3 ball . I can say this though, he didn’t try and force it off the bounce. He made decent decisions on when to go, But the small sample size says that when he made the right decision to go there was still a finishing issue.

I guess my point is Im not waiting around for AJ to be a knockdown 3 shooter. I’m skeptical no matter how many reps. He’s gotta take advantage of his god given tools. And to me that’s utilizing his athleticism.

Reaction Score
It’s true. But he did get there from time to time. And he had shooters to kick to even he couldn’t shoot, which sometimes opened up driving lanes. And results were as bad as the 3 ball . I can say this though, he didn’t try and force it off the bounce. He made decent decisions on when to go, But the small sample size says that when he made the right decision there was still a finishing issue.

I guess my point is Im not waiting around for AJ to be a knockdown 3 shooter. I’m skeptical no matter how many reps. He’s gotta take advantage of his god given tools.
Don't disagree with your observations.. IMO. He was never given the "green light" to create his own stuff-- deferring to Bouk and others. Also think he was never 100% healthy last year.

This year you'll see a different dude.

Reaction Score
It’s true. But he did get there from time to time. And he had shooters to kick to even if he couldn’t shoot tge 3 , which sometimes opened up driving lanes. And results were as bad as the 3 ball . I can say this though, he didn’t try and force it off the bounce. He made decent decisions on when to go, But the small sample size says that when he made the right decision to go there was still a finishing issue.

I guess my point is Im not waiting around for AJ to be a knockdown 3 shooter. I’m skeptical no matter how many reps. He’s gotta take advantage of his god given tools. And to me that’s utilizing his athleticism.
I think improving his handle so that he can take guys off the dribble is even more important than becoming a real shooter. With his athleticism, if he improves his handle a bit he should be able to take guys to the hole regularly.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I agree with your take A dubs. He needs more than athleticism but it's clear he's working on his skill and he's got some solid skill right now.

Getting to the rack and finishing with just his god given ability and current skill set should get him 10-12 points and 4-5 assists a game as a primary creator. If he gets a semi-consistent jumper he can be a 16-18 ppg guy.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with your observations.. IMO. He was never given the "green light" to create his own stuff-- deferring to Bouk and others. Also think he was never 100% healthy last year.

This year you'll see a different dude.
We could use it. He’s a plus defender who can guard 1-4 who will only get better under Hurley on that end. Just need a few points.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The Pistol reference is nice, but I'd really rather see him trying to emulate Elgin Baylor.

Reaction Score
The Pistol reference is nice, but I'd really rather see him trying to emulate Elgin Baylor.
Have hesitated to say this before but had a former biz associate(now deceased) who was on the LSU team with Pistol.. Some funny stories.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
“Definitely, I think the fact he didn’t go out and try to get someone out of the portal is a good thing. We had enough players. We had the talent. We had the guys to go out and be a really good team. I use that as a daily motivation, thinking that if he is banking his career on me, then I have to live up to that standard.”

That quote speaks volumes, I’d bet other players feel the same. Confidence in young athletes is key, no better way to build confidence then the coaches showing they fully trust in their own players.
This. I think it’s really a reflection too as to why we didn’t lose anyone with a significant role on the team to the portal, unlike other schools. Dan has a real special connection with this team. In turn, they seem to really want to perform for him.

Same was true when DH came here from URI. No one left.

The players feed off that confidence that Hurley was just as confident with the Jimmy's and Joe's on the roster as he was with the X's and O's on his coaching staff.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Emulating Pistol's work ethic and how often and the ways he worked on his handle and shot is about as good as you can get. The dude had a rock in his hand since the crib.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kemba had a similar jump shot issue where he dropped the ball to his knees before shooting. Became a much different story when he started bringing the ball straight up. Hopefully that’s what AJ is practicing. Practice all kind of shotmaking and not just 3s too!

Reaction Score
We need someone to step up and be one of the three scorers on this team. We know Cole and Martin can be 12-14/gm guys but I truly believe that's their ceiling. Jackson or Hawkins would make the most sense filling that role.

Reaction Score
We need someone to step up and be one of the three scorers on this team. We know Cole and Martin can be 12-14/gm guys but I truly believe that's their ceiling. Jackson or Hawkins would make the most sense filling that role.
Hawkins already posseses these skills. Needs to work on handle which will allow him to better create his own shot. But shooting ability is already there. Jackson has a much bigger gap to close. Confidence is also a major factor. He can practice and change his form. But what I know is there is a big difference between doing it in a gym with nothing on the line and game time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom