Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ahem..... your forgot Stephon Castle before he's played a minute??
I think people look at Castle as a late riser. It wasn’t a heavily contested recruitment with the big name programs.

Which just speaks to the staffs eye for talent that they can identify a guy that was a top 10 talent super early.

Reaction Score
You're suggesting someone in the UConn camp texted Trilly Donovan?

That makes sense logistically, but that doesn't really answer why some assistant would DM a Twitter account or rather how does the same guy get all the scoops?

Not arguing against your reply.. legitimately don't understand - particularly if Trilly isn't involved in this in a "professional" capacity.
Possible

Reaction Score
Wonder if we’ll ever contend for top 10 recruits no matter how successful the program is? It’s crazy how many swings and misses we’ve had since Calhoun.
Feel like it really hasn't been that many? Can't think of any big time ones besides Diallo but I'm sure I'm missing a few. Top 10 guys are always going to be ultra competitive.

Reaction Score
Lol. Y’all act like the team didn’t have the Naismith trophy in storrs, the No. 6 ranked team in the nation playing next week and two lottery picks on the roster. Flagg is there for 8 months. Kid wants to go to duke.

There is literally nothing Flagg can do here that UConn hasn’t done before.

I just love him as A hoops player. and now I gotta watch duke games next year. Lol

Reaction Score

GIF by SkySlope

Reaction Score
The Laettner jersey did it for me, that’s how I knew. Why else would anyone have that lmfao it’s done
It’s like poison to us. Now if a family member had a shirt of sellers elbowing Laetner or Senor or even Pepe’s then I’d be pretty stoked.

Reaction Score
Wonder if we’ll ever contend for top 10 recruits no matter how successful the program is? It’s crazy how many swings and misses we’ve had since Calhoun.
JC missed his share as well.

Reaction Score
Lol. Y’all act like the team didn’t have the Naismith trophy in storrs, the No. 6 ranked team in the nation playing next week and two lottery picks on the roster. Flagg is there for 8 months. Kid wants to go to duke.

There is literally nothing Flagg can do here that UConn hasn’t done before.

I just love him as A hoops player. and now I gotta watch duke games next year. Lol
You don't have to watch any Dook games this year. Just wait a bit and watch him in the League next year. You'll be too busy watching UConn games this year anyway.

Reaction Score
Even if Flagg ultimately goes to Duke, I hope for his sake that nobody leaked info to a stupid twitter account. He's earned the right to announce his decision in the manner he wants to.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You don't have to watch any Dook games this year. Just wait a bit and watch him in the League next year. You'll be too busy watching UConn games this year anyway.
He doesn’t play at Duke until next year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t see that at all. I honestly dont see any UConn fans overreacting.
Nobody is overreacting, but anytime you bring up a negative fact, you suddenly hate the program and don’t believe in the coaches.

And to all the birds in my mentions chirping “WhAt AbOut CastLe” he wasn’t top 10 when we recruited him.

Reaction Score
There is currently a top-10 recruit in Storrs.
He wasn't top 10 when we recruited him, which is an important distinction.

Hurley's eye for talent could be good enough that we won't ever need to recruit guys that are top 10 when they commit to get elite talent. But I'd guess Castle is more of a winning lotto ticket than a repeatable trend. But there's always the tried and true 30-75 range and wait 2-3 years tactic that works even better than recruiting top 10 guys.

The most surefire loaded teams often have a mix of the two (like Villanueva on 2004).

Reaction Score
Even if Flagg ultimately goes to Duke, I hope for his sake that nobody leaked info to a stupid twitter account. He's earned the right to announce his decision in the manner he wants to.

I bet if Cooper had chosen UConn, he would have been able to do his announcement 100% on his terms. Scheyer already failing him as a coach. Hope he doesn’t stunt Coop’s development too much!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom