Dolson IN THE LOW POST Imagin that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Got it.
I unfortunately missed the game today, couldn't resist Les Troyens

Who won? The Trojans or the Greeks? Actually, I listened to it on the radio while I watched basketball on TV with the sound down.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
OK - choosing to play Stef in the post as a response to not having Stewie is certainly reasonable, although neither Marisa nor Geno mentioned that when talking about their desire to get Stef more active down low today. But your reply to the OP mentioned double teams, a sagging/packed-in defense and defensive ability as items that--because they weren't present today--resulted in GA choosing to keep Stef in the lane more than she has been lately. At least that seemed to be your implication.

It's just logical that when you have two posts and one is not playing the remaining post will have to play in the post more. Did they have to mention that to make it valid?

I believe (just my opinion) that Geno would play her in the post as much as he could if the defense made that the best option. I am sure the shooting percentage is better inside.

If the defense double-teams Stef, that's not usually going to cause a coach to respond by bringing her to the high post, is it?

No, it forces Dolson to pass it out of the post as she did against GTown.

I'll be honest. I got a headache reading the rest of your questions.

I will just repeat this - It's a fluid situation sometimes dictated by the defense and what GA sees working best.

That is the beauty of Geno's offensive schemes. Dolson knows she has to flash to the post and then back to the key depending on the situation. Do they make the right decision every time? Of course not. But it works more often than not.

Reaction Score
Hector B. always advocated posting dem Trojans down low and Geno is finally catching on!

Reaction Score
I believe we will need to play a center (low post) against Baylor to occupy BG even if she doesn't score single point.

Reaction Score
I'm really not interested in your respect. My sarcasm is one of my better qualities.

I remember Perretta and I think that is one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've seen.

UConn looks for the first good shot in the 30 second clock. Villanova looks for the last good shot in the 30 second clock.
Sal,
Listen and learn and then you won't make such outlandish, uninformed statements that are not opinions but outlandish statements . Don't get mad get informed,
listen to doggydaddy

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
DD good points. Each team defends UConn differently. UConns offense must adapt and take the shots when available and where available. When Stef dosnt have an open shot underneath or is double teamed she needs to find the open man. Againest Griner Im sure she will be down low along with help when needed leaving somebody open for Baylor. Hopefully that open person for Baylor dosnt hit the outside shot often. Baylor is not shooting well as a team from trey range. On the other hand do you expect UConn to get alot of inside shots againest Griner? It will be more difficult then againest other teams because of Griners size, so I would expect Stef to take some outside shots and thank goodness for us she can hit'em. That should draw Griner out to defend her leaving the road to the basket open. If Griner dosnt come out Stef could have a big day.

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
Sal,
Listen and learn and then you won't make such outlandish, uninformed statements that are not opinions but outlandish statements . Don't get mad get informed,
listen to doggydaddy

Phil, your and Dogdaddy's hostile response seems unnecessary. Share your knowledge and opinions not your egos.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Phil, your and Dogdaddy's hostile response seems unnecessary. Share your knowledge and opinions not your egos.
I'm sorry you feel that way on how I responded to Sal. And you used your first post to do it.

I'm not sure why you didn't respond in kind to Sal, who I was replying to about Villanova. He started this thread to use what he thought was valid analysis on the Marquette game and Dolson playing the low post. And at the end of his post he said

"So to all the nay Sayers and my detractors * * * I guess I know a little bit about Bball after all."

Hostile? Ego driven? looks like it to me.

Reaction Score
Where all of the UConn players play is dictated by the defense. That's the whole offensive philosophy. Try to take advantage of what the defense is giving up, and recruit good enough offensive players to take advantage.

The first post down the court is expected to run to the front of the rim and try and get early post position. If that isn't there then the subsequent actions are dictated by the defense and that often results in Stef coming high as a pressure relief, and much of the offense runs through that pressure relief. Geno also doesn't assign one player to the high post and one to the low post. That again is dictated by the game and the defense.

What does change when Breanna Stewart or another post is in the game with Stef instead of four guards is that more often than not Breanna for example is going to be the first post down the floor so Breanna is running to the front of the rim, as she should, and Stef as the trailing post begins the possession in the high post. If the possession runs the two of them will likely exchange at some point as the defense dictates and that will happen quicker as Breanna understands the offense better, but Breanna is going to likely be in the low post to start the possession and that is simply the nature of who gets down the floor first. Long term I don't think it is in Geno or Breanna's best interest for him to tell her to just run to the 3-point line to get out of the way so Stef can try and score more low post points in January.

Yesterday Marquette was playing straight up man to man with very little reaching in and slapping at the ball, which is nothing like Georgetown's packed in zone and quicker players. It is also was nothing like the ball pressure of Notre Dame's defense. The defense dictates to a large degree.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I was a lurker for a number of years on the Boneyard, and admit to having had a one dimensional view of the game at one time. I have learned so much reading the posts on the Boneyard with respect to the play of the game, what the different teams bring to the table in terms of their strengths and weaknesses, the different offenses and defenses, and discussions of the execution of plays, what went wrong and possible reasons why, and what was beautifully executed. I learned this from the long time posters on this board. What I read in their posts, for the most part, made sense.

I don't always agree with what I read, but I always researched to vet out the merit of these posters. I now feel that I have a fairly good grasp of the game yet I know also that I will constantly be learning more each time out.

It is never as simple as what you see on the court - there are always factors, and many of the posters on this thread - ice, DD, Tonyc, Scotter (may have missed a few) keep trying to state this fact.

Someone in another thread now locked that appeared to state that there are long time posters here whom they feel are the elite. I don't agree. I learn from my knowledgeable colleagues, have no fear in offering a differing opinion, yet am open to learning new things and never afraid to admit I am wrong.

I am just throwing this out into the ether for what it is worth......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I have posted previously I felt that despite Stephie's passing ability she is a more valuable asset in the low post . So to all the nay Sayers and my detractors here is a Quote from Stephie herself and comments by coach.
“As Coach said we put an emphasis of getting the ball inside and our guards did a great job of delivering it to me and giving me good passes,” Dolson said. “I think we did a good job of getting the ball inside/out and having a good balance.”

Dolson finished with 20 points, most of them coming down low which opened up things for Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis to hit four 3-pointers and score a game-high 24 points.

“We talked a lot about that the last couple of days,” Auriemma said. “We made it a point the last couple of days to get Stefanie the ball as much as possible. We did and I think that created a whole other set of problems with Marquette. I thought the ball movement was great that first 20 minutes. We got the exact shot we wanted to get most every time down the floor. It has been a while since we have come out with that kind of focus to start games and it was good to see.”
I guess I know a little bit about Bball after all.
Well a couple things Sal. One, we didn't have Stewart this game, so yea, Dolson was always going to be in the low post more. It was kind of a given.

Second IIRC, Dolson scored on 2-3 jumpshots (well, shots anyway) from the high post. And I distinctly remember Dolson scoring on a pick and roll from the high post and on a dive from the high post. Sooooo, although they did work the low post with her, and it did work nicely, and she did a great job down low......she scored about half her points from the high post and she was below her average in rebounds.

Don't get too full of yourself.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well a couple things Sal. One, we didn't have Stewart this game, so yea, Dolson was always going to be in the low post more. It was kind of a given.

Second IIRC, Dolson scored on 2-3 jumpshots (well, shots anyway) from the high post. And I distinctly remember Dolson scoring on a pick and roll from the high post and on a dive from the high post. Sooooo, although they did work the low post with her, and it did work nicely, and she did a great job down low......she scored about half her points from the high post and she was below her average in rebounds.

Exactly, meyers, and part of the reason I went to the trouble of giving my post the exact times of certain plays, all of which orginated out of the high post position. I believe 12 points and several assists were all tallied out of play starting from a high post location. A couple of times she was, also, low along the baseline but not in a classic low post position. In almost every game Stef spends some time in the low post for the reason that scotter noted. I am not sure that she spent any longer in the low post against Marquette than usual, if so, it was very slight. Scoring in the paint doesn't mean that someone was playing in the low post. Stef, Kelly, CD regularly garner assists hitting cutters who score in the paint and break away lay-ups are, also, point in the paint, nor does getting an offensive rebound and putting it back up mean your were playing in the low post. I think the pregame comments alterred perception.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you feel that way on how I responded to Sal. And you used your first post to do it.

I'm not sure why you didn't respond in kind to Sal, who I was replying to about Villanova. He started this thread to use what he thought was valid analysis on the Marquette game and Dolson playing the low post. And at the end of his post he said

"So to all the nay Sayers and my detractors * * * I guess I know a little bit about Bball after all."

Hostile? Ego driven? looks like it to me.
I hate reading the back and forth arguments on this site and din't want to start a new one. I tried to explain why the high/low can and will work
but the person i was trying to educate took it personal. I mostly agree with your posts in explaining same but fear it has fallen on deaf ears.
Why is it our ego when we try to explain or answer why this dumb coach does what he does.I give up on Sal

Reaction Score
Not to full just tired of people saying negative things about my opinions as if I haven't been following the team since 95

Reaction Score
It's not your insights in to the game which are good. It's the Toot, toot, tooty you play for UConn Sal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom