Dog or cat? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dog or cat?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So ignoring the pet hating sociopaths for a minute, here's my breakdown --

Easier to clean up after (that includes vomit, by the way. Medium-sized dog puke is pretty much like a toddler vomiting in their bed. Cat puke is much more manageable, though they do throw up more often)

The pet-hating sociopaths rest their case.

We'll now argue the merits of owning a toddler.

1) Pro - they can make a perfectly acceptable lobster roll.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well, if we're gonna be sharing photos, here's 100 lbs of an animal who looks like a typical dumb, friendly Golden Retriever, but whose Great Pyrenees side will scare the living crap out anyone who approaches its vague and portable definition of "territory", and who in a typical day, will shed enough fur to choke a dozen cats, obeys commands only when he's damned well ready to, terrifies the neighbors, barks for extended periods at imagined threats a mile away, and will guarantee you can't join the gig economy as an Uber driver due to all the hair in the backseat.

View attachment 45923

Cisco is 5 and has been with us more than 2 years now, because when we were checking him out at his foster home, he hopped into our car and would not leave. And yes, the bastard did eat my burger last weekend when I went to get more cole slaw.
But he's undeniably good looking.

Reaction Score

Dog pros --

more likely to be a "social" companion
more easily trained
if trained, less likely to destroy furniture
great wingman if you're single

Dog cons --

You have to get it exercise. If you're in an apartment, that means walking it. And it means walking it regardless of the weather. That sounds good until it's -5 and windy.
You can't leave it home all day.
Pet dander in the house is worse.
Simply more expensive to own
If you have hardwood floors, prepare to deal with them being scratched.

Cat pros --

Lower maintenance
Generally calmer once they reach adulthood
You can (and should) get more than one -- two dogs is a lot for most people
Easier to clean up after (that includes vomit, by the way. Medium-sized dog puke is pretty much like a toddler vomiting in their bed. Cat puke is much more manageable, though they do throw up more often)

Cat cons --

Less "social" in the sense that they're not waiting at your door to greet you and jump in your arms when you come home. Greater chance (probably 30%) that he/she will just want to be left alone. But most cats are still very affectionate.
They will claw your furniture to he!!. There's nothing you can do about it.
More of your visitors will be allergic (at least that's my experience).

Most is correct. Cat puke is worst because it's constant. They are difficult to manage what food of the month they like and what the will keep from leaving everywhere in the house. Dogs never puke unless they get sick which is rare.

Dogs are a great wingman even if you're not single too. I know what you mean as far as single man stuff but all in all the dog is good for more stuff. Also a dog will go on hikes and long walks so in turn as you get older with them you force yourself to make them happy and keep exercising for yourself as well. Come home from work crappy day he makes you happy no matter and then instead of hitting the couch you go for a 3-5 mile jaunt to make you both feel better.

Love my cats and I get the smell stuff but way overrated. No doubt cats if you take care of litter better but not by enough to give them the edge. Of course I'm a bit bias and defensive right now I guess LOL b ut a dog if you can and you have the area to do what they need to be happy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My cat frequently met me at the top of the stairs when I came home from work, then sit in my lap while I took off my shoes. I have to admit I got a kick out of it every time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
get a grizzly bear. not one of those namby-pamby black bears, and its too warm for the polar kind. easy to take care of since they sleep half the time. hunt more deer and get a bigger freezer. home security? heck, you've just solved neighborhood security, and im guessin that your neighbors will willingly kick you some cash for, oh, a variety of reasons. as an extra benny, you don't have to comb them, and they laugh at thunder. proally gonna need a bigger box of those cannachews for pets tho.

Reaction Score
Nope. Just nope.

I've had both dogs and cats. The amount of cleaning necessary to keep your house from smelling like dog is about 58495723489054235894 times what is necessary to spend 45 seconds scooping a litter box once a day, and replacing the litter weekly. When my parents had a dog (husky) when I was young, it drove my incredibly clean mother nearly insane as she was vacuuming every room in the house daily just to keep the fur under control.

As an adult, when I walk into a dog owner's house, I immediately know it's a dog owner. I don't notice it with cat owners unless they're slobs.

a) I think you overestimate the amount of people who routinely clean litter boxes. Or who push that once a day scoop to maybe every other day. And maybe push that weekly replacing to every 9-10 days.

b) That doesn't count for people who's cats whiz outside the box. There ain't nothing getting rid of that. Ever. And its 10 times worse on a hot, humid day.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That doesn't count for people who's cats whiz outside the box. There ain't nothing getting rid of that. Ever. And its 10 times worse on a hot, humid day.
When we were looking for houses the realtor brought us to what I refer to as the cat lady house. It was empty and apparently clean to the eye but the smell of cat urine was like being hit in the face with a shovel as soon as you walked through the door.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
To play off the other pet thread. I'm thinking of getting either a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats equally and am a bit conflicted on what to get. Since I live in an apartment in the city if it was a dog I would lean towards non active breeds, bulldog and pug come to mind....I've always loved Beagles and Jack Russell's but they need to run and explore, living in a city apartment wouldn't be fair to them. A cat is certainly a lot easier. Any recommendations on good apartment dog breeds, non barkers and what cat breeds tend to have the best/most fun personalities?

You're single and live in NYC and you want to burden yourself with a pet? Live life. Soon you'll get married, then have kids, then die. Enjoy life now while you can.

If you must have a pet, get a fish tank.

Reaction Score
Geezus man, you deserve a break.
I will tell you. I am an ordinary guy given an extraordinary opportunity to live up to the vow I made well over 30 years ago. Honestly some days I regret it. Other days I am able to make her smile, and that makes the moment worth it. It is obviously not easy, and frankly I am the only one with any memories...but somehow I manage to keep moving forward.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I will tell you. I am an ordinary guy given an extraordinary opportunity to live up to the vow I made well over 30 years ago. Honestly some days I regret it. Other days I am able to make her smile, and that makes the moment worth it. It is obviously not easy, and frankly I am the only one with any memories...but somehow I manage to keep moving forward.

You are a giant. Ain’t nothing ordinary about you.

Reaction Score
A dog is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. A cat will spend it's days plotting to kill you. My daughters say "The cat is not trying to kill you, dad." But I know better. I've looked in its eyes...

Unfortunately, the cat has powerful allies.
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 1.14.57 PM.png

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Get a pet rock and name it Fido.

A dog or cat are basically equal. They both taste like chicken.

Reaction Score

Dog pros --

more likely to be a "social" companion
more easily trained
if trained, less likely to destroy furniture
great wingman if you're single

Dog cons --

You have to get it exercise. If you're in an apartment, that means walking it. And it means walking it regardless of the weather. That sounds good until it's -5 and windy.
You can't leave it home all day.
Pet dander in the house is worse.
Simply more expensive to own
If you have hardwood floors, prepare to deal with them being scratched.

Cat pros --

Lower maintenance
Generally calmer once they reach adulthood
You can (and should) get more than one -- two dogs is a lot for most people

Cat cons --

Less "social" in the sense that they're not waiting at your door to greet you and jump in your arms when you come home. Greater chance (probably 30%) that he/she will just want to be left alone. But most cats are still very affectionate.
They will claw your furniture to he!!. There's nothing you can do about it.
More of your visitors will be allergic (at least that's my experience).

Cats do not claw your furniture if you train them (basically, spend a week yelling at them whenever they scratch your furniture) and provide scratching posts/pads/whatever. They can throw up a lot, but it's usually small and trivial to clean especially if on solid surfaces.

Reaction Score
You're single and live in NYC and you want to burden yourself with a pet? Live life. Soon you'll get married, then have kids, then die. Enjoy life now while you can.

If you must have a pet, get a fish tank.
Much easier to maintain. Also much more intelligent than people think. Even my 2 inch blue-spotted sunfish seem quite intelligent.

Ant colonies look fun but no way would I want to have to manage one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Can we please stop sticking to the OP's question and somehow get to how bad cats and dogs are Ollie's fault?
There are thousands of confused cats and dogs in Connecticut right now who were named Ollie and now wonder why their owners are calling them Loser.

Reaction Score
To play off the other pet thread. I'm thinking of getting either a dog or cat. I like dogs and cats equally and am a bit conflicted on what to get. Since I live in an apartment in the city if it was a dog I would lean towards non active breeds, bulldog and pug come to mind....I've always loved Beagles and Jack Russell's but they need to run and explore, living in a city apartment wouldn't be fair to them. A cat is certainly a lot easier. Any recommendations on good apartment dog breeds, non barkers and what cat breeds tend to have the best/most fun personalities?
Live in Manhattan and have 2 Brussels Griffons. Great apt dogs and they don't shed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom