Does your spouse/SO like or enjoy sports, especially UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does your spouse/SO like or enjoy sports, especially UConn?

Well?

• Total voters

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
My girlfriend is ambivalent to sports in general but gets a kick out of watching me and my friends pull our hair out during UConn games. Mostly she tells me I'm a bad fan because I spend most of the time yelling that we suck and its not like the old days. Thankfully she is supportive of me watching or traveling to any UConn sporting event.

Reaction Score
My wife is between the first two. She’ll go see ECU but she aint watching them on tv.
Is your daughter playing/interested in sports yet? I’m wondering if I can go the @Horatio route and get her (the wife) into it by selling her on the need to educate herself lest she makes a fool out of herself on the sidelines. Unfortch it looks like at least my son is going to follow in his short mother’s (4’11) footsteps.

Reaction Score
My wife will watch some UConn baseball in small doses. She left in the third when we went to ECU last weekend in game 2. She does enjoy games at DDF because I can bribe her with beer. She says she is game for MBB so we will try that next season.

But she thinks I am nuts for going on the boneyard so often.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is your daughter playing/interested in sports yet? I’m wondering if I can go the @Horatio route and get her (the wife) into it by selling her on the need to educate herself lest she makes a fool out of herself on the sidelines. Unfortch it looks like at least my son is going to follow in his short mother’s (4’11) footsteps.

Yeah travel soccer. She won’t watch a UConn game if you pay her.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that my wife has read this post before me. She keeps me up-to-date on all UConn sports, reads the Boneyard. Hey we went to a UConn baseball game yesterday. Season ticket holder for men's and women's basketball, football. We go to UConn hockey games together. Watch and go to Red Sox games in between UConn seasons.

Reaction Score
My wife is a big sports fan, especially when it comes to UConn sports. She loves UConn basketball, especially the women. To give you an idea about UConn baseball, Chris Jones is her favorite baseball announcer on any level.

As you can expect from the above post, my wife is a huge baseball fan. Loves the New York Yankees, and we are season ticket holders to the Connecticut Tigers minor league baseball team in Norwich. She often has to attend night meetings for work, but if the meeting ends on time she will zoom up to the stadium afterwards if a Tiger game is still in progress. She was in absolute heaven a few years ago when Chris Jones spent one summer as the lead radio broadcaster for the Tigers. When I first met her in 1983, she was also an avid Hartford Whaler fan.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife likes the Red Sox and somehow became a Patriots fan. But she doesn’t care about anything else and things my level of interest is unhealthy. Especially when I prioritize sports over other things.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My wife loves going to Spring Training. We used to be 20-game ticket holders for the Pirates. She's a season ticket holder for Pitt football. Used to go to a number of Pitt hoops games. Misses not having UConn in the same conference. Thinks the first weekend of March Madness is the best day of the year. Doesn't care at all about NBA, Nascar, MMA or wrestling, is a fair weather Pens fan, enjoys following the triple crown races in horse racing, has been to the Olympics and the Masters.

So yeah, she's a sports fan and OK for a wife.

Reaction Score
Choices are tough. There's a huge gap between "all sports thoroughly" and "sometimes for big events.
I was thinking the same. My wife likes sports but not to the same extent I do. She watches and goes to games with me but her life doesn't revolve around games like mine does. We have 2 boys so there is ALWAYS sports on our TV.

I remember within a year after we got married there was a family wedding on her side and UConn was playing in an NCAA tournament game. I said we either had to figure out how to watch the game or we would be going late. She was not happy but I told her we knew each other for 4 years before we got married so she knew exactly what she was getting into.

Reaction Score
My wife has an encyclopedic knowledge of Georgia football and follows the Braves (but doesn’t watch every game or anything).

She thinks my UConn fandom is cute, but she fundamentally does not understand caring about college basketball.

At least she “gets” sports, though.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My wife has zero interest in sports. But she does have an innate, if irrational, hatred for female sports reporters. I'll have a game on and a female voice will draw her into whatever room I watching in, to voice her displeasure/disgust with female sports analysts/reporters.

Reaction Score
GF was a soccer player in college and likes sports to a degree. Does not understand the obsession with ucmbb or basketball in general. She has more patience with coaching than fanhood.

Calls the boneyard my "boyfriends."

Reaction Score
I'm sure that my wife has read this post before me. She keeps me up-to-date on all UConn sports, reads the Boneyard. Hey we went to a UConn baseball game yesterday. Season ticket holder for men's and women's basketball, football. We go to UConn hockey games together. Watch and go to Red Sox games in between UConn seasons.
I can't believe you only have 25 posts on here. Crazy UConn fan. And you're retired. What else do you have to do? :)

Reaction Score
Great thread. We have seasons tix for UConn men’s BB at XL and my wife goes to about half of the games in her Ray jersey :) (my 10 year old goes to the other half of schedule in his Kemba Jersey). And we catch a women’s BB game here and there through the season. So, UConn BB is definitely a thing we do together. Other that that she she doesn’t care much about other sports. Although, I must say she does admire Brady, Belichick and the Pats for what they have been able to do over the years.

Reaction Score
My wife was never remotely into sports until she met me (grew up as one of 4 girls, and her dad wasn't big into sports -- they all did music).

I usually get her to watch the big games, and she vaguely knows what's going on during them, though she sometimes falls asleep. I appreciate the effort.

Reaction Score
Wife is a Texan...football fan. As is her whole family. And fairly knowledgable....can argue the calls, discuss the scheme.

She will watch other sports to be companiable but doesn't have real enthusiasm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom