Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And you better believe every single one of them will be saying how UConn shouldn't be at least a #2 seed even though they've only lost (as of right now) and only would've lost (if they lose to SC) to the top 3 teams in the country, which will likely also be 3 of the 4 #1 seeds (as of right now).
Who has UConn beaten to prove they should be a #2 seed?

Reaction Score
In terms of making the Final Four, this game is important only in terms of how it helps either team improve. SC appears to be peaking while UConn is up and down. If Geno can use this game to find a formula that helps the team play more consistently, mission accomplished. UConn will have a tough bracket no matter what.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this game or it is a 3 seed . Unless Meg and CW hit the shots in the big game for once this season then it will be another 20 point loss. SC will make it tough to get open looks and Liv is going to get pushed around by Boston.

If UConn loses Monday, they’re on a slippery slope that could very easily find them a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
South Carolina wants this game more than UConn. They need to beat UConn in order to build confidence and obtain respect. After Oregon toppled UConn, they now feel that they can do it too. This either can work for them or make then so confidant that they will make mistakes. UConn, well, who knows? They need changes and they need improvements. They need to play like UConn. For UConn, it is going to be ball movement and shooting at about 52 to 54 percent to win and holding SC to 39 per cent shooting. Rebounding and defense!

With this team, you just don't know who is going to show up and what kind of team is going to take the court.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Our two losses were us not firing on all cylinders. Against Baylor we had 3 players shoot 1/14 and we were down 1 pt late in the 4th qtr. Against Oregon we lost the 2nd qtr by 3 3rd qtr by 2 and 4th Qtr by 3. Not bad looking at it that way. IMO what we need is more players involved in the scoring and not becoming dependent on any player which puts to much pressure on a player. Now with that said CD handles the pressure pretty well. So everybody else needs touches and be in position to shoot. Run plays for different players and we just might catch defenses off guard making it easier to score. We have the players, but in those two games we didnt all come together. IMO when were on we are a NC team. To sum it up T.E.A.M. which means Together Everyone Achieves More.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this game or it is a 3 seed . Unless Meg and CW hit the shots in the big game for once this season then it will be another 20 point loss. SC will make it tough to get open looks and Liv is going to get pushed around by Boston.

Possibly a 3 seed but far from a guarantee. If DePaul and Tennessee finish strong it wont look as bad for UCONN. I don't see them being jumped by Gonzaga if they win out in AAC play. Out of other #2 seed contenders, they'd need 3 to surpass them out of:

-UCLA could easily drop both Oregon games and tonight's game at Stanford. They're probably favored to lose all 3 besides maybe Oregon State.

-Oregon State also has both Arizona schools, Stanford, and UCLA. If they drop 2 of those, I think the Huskies stay ahead.

-Maryland looks solid right now, the game vs Iowa will be big. If they hold on there and win out besides maybe Big Ten tournament, they likely get a 2.

-Mississippi State likely catches a break and avoids playing Tennessee, A&M, and Kentucky all without their star player and likely AA candidate. They'll probably jump up to a 2 if they only lose to SC in the tournament.

-NC State has had some close calls thus far, wouldn't be shocked if they drop a game or 2 outside of Louisville.

Realistically, I think Maryland and Mississippi State are well positioned to finish ahead of the Huskies if SC takes care of business next week. Toss up between UCLA/Oregon State/NC State.

Honestly, UCONN's non-conference this year isn't doing them any favors since it is so imbalanced. They play the top 3 teams in the nation but only three games against teams ranked 4-50 on Massey scale. So out of a possible 32 games, they'll only face 3 top 50 teams outside of the top 3 on the year. Doesn't provide good opportunity for UCONN to differentiate itself from the other teams in the 4-15 range.

By comparison to UCONN's 6 top 50 games, Maryland has 17, Stanford has 14, and even Mississippi State has 9. I know UCONN has it tougher playing in the AAC, but it would've benefitted the program big time to play better OOC teams than Cal, Oklahoma, Temple, Virginia, Dayton, Seton Hall, etc.

Reaction Score
SC by double digits. Huskies will do well to make Elite Eight (doubtful IMO).

Plebe

Reaction Score
By comparison to UCONN's 6 top 50 games, Maryland has 17, Stanford has 14, and even Mississippi State has 9. I know UCONN has it tougher playing in the AAC, but it would've benefitted the program big time to play better OOC teams than Cal, Oklahoma, Temple, Virginia, Dayton, Seton Hall, etc.
Temple was not an OOC game.

Reaction Score
I think it is a must win for UConn to get the 2 seed. Realistically, I see no chance of beating SC monday. Boston will destroy Liv even on an off night. I see nothing at all stopping SC from getting 40 points in the paint. If Meg, Crystal, Anna and CW are hitting, then maybe they have a shot. That, tough tough defense and their offense scoring 80-85 will be needed. Tall order. In the end, not sure a 2 or 3 seed will matter much. I just don't see this team getting to sweet 16 (well, maybe the sweet 16, but doubtful any further.) I hope I'm wrong and the stars align starting tonight vs Memphis.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Notre Dame being so down this year really hurts UConn. I don't think any of those teams you listed were expected to be particularly good (also Vandy), but the Huskies avoid playing directional schools and 250 or 300+ RPI teams in OOC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Notre Dame being so down this year really hurts UConn. I don't think any of those teams you listed were expected to be particularly good (also Vandy), but the Huskies avoid playing directional schools and 250 or 300+ RPI teams in OOC.
It's easy to say that ND being down hurts UConn, but if ND was as good as last year that might've been another blowout loss.

The NCSOS of #3 doesn't hurt UConn's RPI but what does hurt is not having more games in the 5-50 range. Beating teams 51-100 is meaningless when you're trying for a #1 seed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's easy to say that ND being down hurts UConn, but if ND was as good as last year that might've been another blowout loss.

true

Reaction Score
Who has UConn beaten to prove they should be a #2 seed?
Their wins agains Tenn and DePaul are good and their only losses are to #1 (projected) seeds. Typically I wouldn’t say this is #2 seed worthy, but with the parity in WCBB this year (if you’d like to call it “parity”) I don’t see many teams that have better resumes thus far. Louisville? Lost to Florida State and Ohio State and beat Oregon ~ equal. NC State? Lost to UNC and beat Florida State and Maryland. Stanford beat Oregon State, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. Lost to Texas and Oregon. Of every team I’m listing, they have to most potential to jump over UConn in overall ranking due to their remaining schedule and the potential to beat Oregon, Oregon State, and UCLA. Maryland has losses to Northwestern and Iowa (bad) but close losses to NC State and South Carolina (good). They’ve beaten Michigan (2x) and Indiana (2x) which are quality wins.

#3 seeds that might move up?
Oregon State? Lost to ASU, Stanford, and Oregon twice with their best wins being DePaul and Arizona. Unless they beat Stanford, Arizona, and UCLA in their next matchups with each they likely won’t move up. Mississippi State has losses to West Virginia, Stanford, and South Carolina (only by 2), and unless both Chennedy Carter (Texas A&M) and Rhyne Howard (Kentucky) are back for those respective matchups, Mississippi would have to beat South Carolina in the SEC tournament to make a significant leap. UCLA has games against Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford (plus the pac12 tournament) so they would leap frog any #2 team if they win those games and have a significant showing in the pac12 tournament. However, their losses to USC and Arizona are worse than either of UConn’s losses. Gonzaga is the last current #3 seed and they really can’t move up unless any of the teams ahead of them give them some significant help (because of the teams they play in their conference and their lack of a signature win [Missouri State being their signature win as of right now]).

Reaction Score
UCONN needs the the win more than SC. They'll have a very weak resume if they go 0-3 against the big 3 of Oregon, SC and Baylor. If SC loses they're still likely a 1 seed. Even if they drop to a 2 they'll still play in Greenville. The main concern for SC is that if they drop they'll lose their #1 overall status and drop to #3 which means they theoretically are stuck playing against Baylor or Oregon prior to the title game. There's still a lot of season left to go but those 3 teams look like the clear cut top 3 in the nation right now.
Has another team in the country scheduled games against Oregon, South Carolina and Baylor? While having the number one seed would be nice it still doesn't matter where you start. Where you end, yes.

Reaction Score
I think neither team has that much to lose, and a lot to gain. They are both playing with house money because neither were really that expect to be competing for a championship this year, but both are in the mix regardless due to every team slipping at one point or another and honestly both teams have been better than expected to the objective eye. It's pretty much a wash. SC can gain take a good chunk of prestige from winning and UConn and deny them that and remind everyone they are still at the top of totem poll as a program which would feel real good as well.

Reaction Score
I think it is a must win for UConn to get the 2 seed. Realistically, I see no chance of beating SC monday. Boston will destroy Liv even on an off night. I see nothing at all stopping SC from getting 40 points in the paint. If Meg, Crystal, Anna and CW are hitting, then maybe they have a shot. That, tough tough defense and their offense scoring 80-85 will be needed. Tall order. In the end, not sure a 2 or 3 seed will matter much. I just don't see this team getting to sweet 16 (well, maybe the sweet 16, but doubtful any further.) I hope I'm wrong and the stars align starting tonight vs Memphis.
I think UConn fans deserve a year of not worrying about finding a team that can actually challenge their girls and year of being the mindset that having it all come together at Tourney time is all that really matters even if they lose a game here and there to some really good teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Has another team in the country scheduled games against Oregon, South Carolina and Baylor? While having the number one seed would be nice it still doesn't matter where you start. Where you end, yes.

Agreed. The path to get there though is a LOT more difficult if UCONN is a 2 or 3 seed in one of their regionals, as they'll essentially be playing a road game against one of the big 3, rather than facing them on a neutral site.

Reaction Score
If UConn loses against SC, they'll be a 3-seed. They have beaten no one to deserve anything higher. That's the reality of playing in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I am going with the opposite approach. Neither team has much riding on this game Monday. If our beloved UConn squad gets a win against South Carolina, the spin will be "This is an up and down season! UConn battled hard but this is a case of an open season with no dominant teams." If South Carolina wins, the spin will be "UConn is facing a down year, so this win by South Carolina, great as it is, just shows that this season is wide open."

Let's go, Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I’m praying MW is on her laptop watching game film of Bre Beals defensive tactics. I’m almost certain she will be face guarded the entire night. We need Meg to score 20+

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom