Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday?

Reaction Score
CT has more at stake regarding this season I guess - although y'all could lose to us even badly and then go on a winning streak right to the Final Four, and no one in the national media would question whether you belong there or not. USC has more at stake regarding program status - a win Monday won't swing the series lead over to us, but seems like if we truly want to be included with the top programs we're in during this "era", then we should at least beat each of them once, first.....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For the Big Dance, UConn has more at stake. If they lose, they will not move up from the #2 line and perhaps drop down to a #3 depending on what everyone else does. If SC loses, they will stay a #1 seed if they win the SEC. From a team perspective, this game is more important to us. We have to come out and play tough all game and prove to ourselves that we belong at this level. I think we will get a clue or two tonight if we are a different team now. From a coach's perspective, the new national coach will certainly want to beat her predecessor. From a fan's perspective, SC fans will want blood since they have never beaten us.

This explains it well. Tournament wise, very little at stake for SC regardless of result.

In the grand scheme of things, SC needs to beat UConn to show that they can. And SC fans want this win bad. So if anything, it has meaning for the program mostly. A symbolic win, same as it was Oregon.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Our team this year #3 Seed is on the mark. Rewatched Oregon game under talented them and out talented Memphis. If we lose by less than 30 to SC and play well it will be a moral victory. Simply don’t have the type of players to be competitive with the top teams. Need to significantly increase BB IQ and toughness, need to get to being a team that can out execute, be physical and out hustle opponents with extreme confidence in order to overcome lack of front court size and beat top teams. This has not developed this year. If Olivia, Christyn and Meg had Crystal’s mental toughness this would be a much better team and possibly overcome limited front court size with unparalleled teamwork.

Reaction Score
The team I watched against Memphis was so completely different from the team I watched play them earlier in the year and I credit that to a far greater focus. I think the loss to Oregon was a much greater wake up call than the one to Baylor. It is one thing to lose to a really good team while knowing that you had the opportunity to win. It is another to look back on and realize you were never in it. Can we beat S.C.? I'm not really sure but I do believe that we (1) Can win the game, and, (2) Even if we lose the game will not be out of hand and we will make the case that we do belong with the top teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Going to be a sellout or awful close. About 800 tickets left.

the real answer to this question is that neither team really has much to lose.

Reaction Score
It is just another game to see where both teams see what they need to work on. It also is not a rivalry game so there is no bad blood between them. Even if SC wins it still won't be a rivalry yet. Baylor and Oregon both had experience on their side. SC has Harris and Harrigan so it will be interesting.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this game or it is a 3 seed . Unless Meg and CW hit the shots in the big game for once this season then it will be another 20 point loss. SC will make it tough to get open looks and Liv is going to get pushed around by Boston.
Every time I hear the word Boston I get sick to my stomach and think of what might have been. Still can’t believe we lost out on her. Wasn’t it the last or second from the last day of the early signing period that she announced she was going to South Carolina? Everyone had her UConn bound. Imagine a front court of her and ONO playing together. I wonder what changed her mind?

Reaction Score
Every time I hear the word Boston I get sick to my stomach and think of what might have been. Still can’t believe we lost out on her. Wasn’t it the last or second from the last day of the early signing period that she announced she was going to South Carolina? Everyone had her UConn bound. Imagine a front court of her and ONO playing together. I wonder what changed her mind?

imagine this South Carolina team with ONO and C. Williams?

Actually, my what if recruit is Rickea Jackson.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Are we gonna have to hear this bellyaching for another 3 whole years?
Maybe one day people will learn not to pay attention to the self-appointed experts on the Boneyard.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
imagine this South Carolina team with ONO and C. Williams?

Actually, my what if recruit is Rickea Jackson.
Yes, that would be wonderful.
Tell ya what, let's make UConn play with only 4 players. Would that be okay with you?

Reaction Score
Isn't that what UCONN is already doing? Ohh Snap.

DeliriousRealisticFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Reaction Score
There is a psychological aspect when you play a team you've never beaten. We had that issue with Tennessee for a long time, also. I'm expecting a great game on Monday night. I thought Arkansas was a classic trap game, tonight, but it ended up being a laugher. See you guys on Monday.
How have we had that issue with Tennessee. We beat them the first time we played them.

Reaction Score
Michele Voepel and Charlie Creme weigh in with their takes on Monday's game.

ESPN.com

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma didn't have much time to process Monday's loss to Oregon before being asked about another big nonconference matchup: next Monday's meeting vs. No. 1 South Carolina (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2/ESPN App) in Columbia."

"Against the really, really good teams like we've played, every time we make a mistake, they take advantage of it," Auriemma said. "We have to play more of a flawless game, and we haven't. We need to be tougher; that's the bottom line. "[South Carolina] has never beaten us, so what do you think that atmosphere is going to be like?"

You could look at Notre Dame's record in the ACC; those also-ran teams have been licking their chops to finally put one on the Irish. No different with SC, no greater incentive required for Dawn's team, never beaten Uconn, a full house and a national TV audience to rattle the rafters in Columbia. ESPN has beaten the revenge drum.
And Geno has set the stage, telling everyone who will listen that his rag-tag bunch doesn't have a prayer down there. So for once, we're the underdogs, but if everyone plays hard, plays inspired defense, shoots lights out, and stays away from fouls, the Huskies could have fun tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom