Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday? | The Boneyard

Does UConn or South Carolina have more at stake on Big Monday?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Michele Voepel and Charlie Creme weigh in with their takes on Monday's game.

ESPN.com

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma didn't have much time to process Monday's loss to Oregon before being asked about another big nonconference matchup: next Monday's meeting vs. No. 1 South Carolina (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2/ESPN App) in Columbia."

"Against the really, really good teams like we've played, every time we make a mistake, they take advantage of it," Auriemma said. "We have to play more of a flawless game, and we haven't. We need to be tougher; that's the bottom line. "[South Carolina] has never beaten us, so what do you think that atmosphere is going to be like?"

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
There is a psychological aspect when you play a team you've never beaten. We had that issue with Tennessee for a long time, also. I'm expecting a great game on Monday night. I thought Arkansas was a classic trap game, tonight, but it ended up being a laugher. See you guys on Monday.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCONN needs the the win more than SC. They'll have a very weak resume if they go 0-3 against the big 3 of Oregon, SC and Baylor. If SC loses they're still likely a 1 seed. Even if they drop to a 2 they'll still play in Greenville. The main concern for SC is that if they drop they'll lose their #1 overall status and drop to #3 which means they theoretically are stuck playing against Baylor or Oregon prior to the title game. There's still a lot of season left to go but those 3 teams look like the clear cut top 3 in the nation right now.

Reaction Score
Oregon had never beaten UConn, South Carolina smells blood in the water. And Boston is healthy, grabbing 15 boards tonight and 18 points. UConn definitely needs a win more but we don’t do well against biggies like Boston.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn has more at stake. The huskies need to improve their tournament stock and they don't really have the opportunity to do that after Monday. According to Creme, SC could lose and still be a #1 just because we've already beaten so many Q1 teams.

That said, I don't expect SC to come into this game cocky at all. Our players are well aware of what UConn can do on the court.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this game or it is a 3 seed . Unless Meg and CW hit the shots in the big game for once this season then it will be another 20 point loss. SC will make it tough to get open looks and Liv is going to get pushed around by Boston.

Reaction Score
1581076122233.png

Reaction Score
I think South Carolina needs to prove they can beat UConn so I think the pressure is on Dawn to win. I do think South Carolina has the talent to win and being at home will make it difficult for the upset. Both of the two coaches are favorites for me so I am rooting for a close competitive game, I certainly will be watching.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well if the Houston Rockets could beat the big bad LA Lakers at Staples with small ball, maybe we can pop SC in their house.

Reaction Score
For the Big Dance, UConn has more at stake. If they lose, they will not move up from the #2 line and perhaps drop down to a #3 depending on what everyone else does. If SC loses, they will stay a #1 seed if they win the SEC. From a team perspective, this game is more important to us. We have to come out and play tough all game and prove to ourselves that we belong at this level. I think we will get a clue or two tonight if we are a different team now. From a coach's perspective, the new national coach will certainly want to beat her predecessor. From a fan's perspective, SC fans will want blood since they have never beaten us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The #1 overall seed gets you the easiest road to the FF, as it did for Baylor last season. A SC win sets them up to hold that spot right up through Selection Night. A SC loss likely moves the Gamecocks into the 4th #1 seed and a much tougher region.

Win or lose, UConn is likely to sit somewhere between the third #1 seed to the second #2 seed. Either way, that gets the Huskies a really tough matchup or two, to get back to their 13th straight FF.

The game is important to both teams, but, IMO, SC has more to lose. Add in the fact that Dawn has never beaten Geno, and there is the element of finally being able to prove to herself that she can beat the best coach in WBB.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The game is very important for UConn just from the standpoint that they will know they can beat a top team. Another loss to a top team and their confidence is going to dwindle. We have heard Geno say Liv is the Key. Well get her the ball more often. The other key is MW she has got to have a good game. In the big games she is shooting something like 21%. If that happens Monday nite...it may be a very long nite.

Reaction Score
Obviously the game is important for both teams but for different reasons. UConn needs a solid win for the tourney and we need to prove we can beat UConn... an interesting dynamic for sure

Reaction Score
I am sure Dawn wants this game badly (Couldn't help but want to break through vs Geno), but as she has done in the past I think she will quickly flush it.

I'd think the bigger pressure is on this UCONN team to do something that looks like UCONN.

I don't think South Carolina will be anything less than confident before and after this one. Either way. They've just been calm like that from the first game at College Park.

Reaction Score
I think this game means a lot more to us, frankly. Yes, we are 19-2, but those two losses, on ESPN, were baaaaaaad. I think to be a #2 seed we have to win this game on Monday, along with playing well and winning the rest of our games this year.

I think a #1 seed is completely out of the question. From a confidence standpoint, they have to win this, IMO. If we lose, which sadly I don't think it'll be close and we will, we will be a #3 seed in Portland. All of women's basketball from fans to analysts to coaches and committees, have been licking their chops waiting for this sort of year.

Reaction Score
Obviously the game is important for both teams but for different reasons. UConn needs a solid win for the tourney and we need to prove we can beat UConn... an interesting dynamic for sure
It will be very difficult to beat SC in Columbia in front of 18k rabid fans. They are big and we are not. They have defeated highly ranked teams and we have not. Geno is a better coach overall, but Dawn has emerged as a better recruiter lately, especially for size. Boston would have made the difference, but Dawn got her. Our best chance will be to shoot great and play a very fast paced game, but I'm not confident we can. I will figuratively live or die with UCONN but this team does not have the components of a champion this year. I would love to be proven wrong.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Most people are talking about NCAA seeding to answer this question. But in terms of confidence, UConn needs this win a lot more than South Carolina. The lack of confidence against Baylor and Oregon was just really striking to me. Geno himself said his players don't have the confidence to believe they can win these types of games. To say this is a major problem would be putting it lightly.

Reaction Score
From an NCAAT tournament perspective this game holds more weight for UConn since it is really their last chance to grab a #1 seed (unless the other #1 seeds suddenly lose to someone at the bottom of their conference). It might also be more of an emotional victory for UConn since they've been routed twice by other top 5 teams.

On the other hand, South Carolina has yet to beat UConn and this might be their best chance at doing so. I'm sure Dawn personally wants to get over the UConn hump. After that there's less intimidation the next time you play UConn. So in that sense it holds more weight for South Carolina for proving they can play with any team in the country.

Reaction Score
I think this game means a lot more to us, frankly. Yes, we are 19-2, but those two losses, on ESPN, were baaaaaaad. I think to be a #2 seed we have to win this game on Monday, along with playing well and winning the rest of our games this year.

I think a #1 seed is completely out of the question. From a confidence standpoint, they have to win this, IMO. If we lose, which sadly I don't think it'll be close and we will, we will be a #3 seed in Portland. All of women's basketball from fans to analysts to coaches and committees, have been licking their chops waiting for this sort of year.
And you better believe every single one of them will be saying how UConn shouldn't be at least a #2 seed even though they've only lost (as of right now) and only would've lost (if they lose to SC) to the top 3 teams in the country, which will likely also be 3 of the 4 #1 seeds (as of right now).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Most people are talking about NCAA seeding to answer this question. But in terms of confidence, UConn needs this win a lot more than South Carolina. The lack of confidence against Baylor and Oregon was just really striking to me. Geno himself said his players don't have the confidence to believe they can win these types of games. To say this is a major problem would be putting it lightly.

Well, winning at SC against the #1 team that is peaking and at full strength would give us incredible confidence but even a competative loss (single digits) with incremental improvement from our players would do a world of good confidence wise.

If we show up like deer in headlights, stand around in a prayer session and hope Crystal can make 15 3 pointers from half court, than we got a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom