Does UConn Have A Sports Psychologist? | The Boneyard

Does UConn Have A Sports Psychologist?

Reaction Score
I’m not being facetious.
Geno said postgame that they make 20 of 24 three pointers in practice, but they can’t make a shot
in a game. He found this very disconcerting. (I think we all do.)
What is this all about? Would a sports psychologist be helpful?

Reaction Score
Great thread/question. A sport psychologist would be effective particularly for this program, given its prodigious past, rarified success, elite standard, & exacting, matter-of-fact head coach.

Reaction Score
I would focus on why they perform in practice but not in a game. It's a different mental state. I knew guys who looked like scratch golfers practicing but could never switch their mind to performance mode. They could sink five 10 foot putts in a row practicing and then take 3 putts on the course. My guess is that in practice they aren't worried about missing, focusing on execution and repetition but in a game it's one shot. That slow and long stroke that ONO has is perfect for breaking down under stress.

I've played golf for over 40 years and took practice very seriously. When you have my modest talent you look everywhere for answers and I found that improving my mental approach easily produced the biggest game improvements.

Reaction Score
I would focus on why they perform in practice but not in a game. It's a different mental state. I knew guys who looked like scratch golfers practicing but could never switch their mind to performance mode. They could sink five 10 foot putts in a row practicing and then take 3 putts on the course. My guess is that in practice they aren't worried about missing, focusing on execution and repetition but in a game it's one shot. That slow and long stroke that ONO has is perfect for breaking down under stress.

I've played golf for over 40 years and took practice very seriously. When you have my modest talent you look everywhere for answers and I found that improving my mental approach easily produced the biggest game improvements.
On the practice green only the first shot counts. On the driving range, a shot that looks decent could be in the woods if hit from the tee. You can fool yourself in golf by practicing. I know, I do it all the time :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this about hitting shots in practice but not in a game. Transferring what you do in practice to a game takes time. I was at the Arkansas game and saw Liv hitting shot after shot moving around the horn. She was shooting from the 3 pt line. Just now shes starting to make more long range shots. It comes down to doing it under the pressure of a game. Players have a tendency in games to rush their shots or force their shots because they make them in practice they think they can make them in games. It take poise and awareness and most importantly confidence in that you can do it. Confidence comes from making them in a game so keep shooting .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn does in fact have a sports psychologist. His name is Geno Auriemma. He’s been working overtime ever since the ND game.

Reaction Score
UConn does in fact have a sports psychologist. His name is Geno Auriemma. He’s been working overtime ever since the ND game.
Actually, their psychologist has been sitting on the bench since Dec 5th.,She's been giving emotional support to her teammates and trying to assist Geno and crew in any way she can.
Watching these debacles unfold when she can't play is probably eating her up inside. Guess Azzi is HER psychologist.
PB is an extremely ambitious and success oriented athlete. She probably takes these losses and struggles as a personal affront and a rebuke for her being off the court for so long. As if she can help not being healthy enough to play.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the FG percentage for everybody will go up a notch or two upon her return to the lineup.
"90% of this game is half-mental"
Although seeing her back in the game is probably the # 1 Valentine's Day gift on everybody's list, I just hope she doesn't try to fix it all by herself or overdo it physically. Nika seems to be throwing herself around like a Tasmanian Devil. She's trying too hard.

sun

Reaction Score
What works for one player may not work for another.
Their deficiencies are probably on the individual level.
I've been involved in sports where inconsistent competitors would say that they used up all of their good shots in practice.
But the really good competitors would be consistently good in competition.
Geno has said that some things can't be taught, but can only be learned through experience.
I think that the assistant coaches should be tasked with helping players work through their slumps.
Maybe they can bring in former players to give helpful advice that worked for them.
Helping them to analyze their mechanics and technique.
And then there's the spiritual side of being a competitor where a person needs to find there personal inner secret to success, what works for them.
For some it might be a ritual, or some kind of a personal sacrifice, or both.
We've all read about the crazy sounding rituals that some great athletes have practiced.
UConn players are probably too young to have developed such strong superstitions.
Wiki has a section that mentions Wade Boggs and all of his superstitions.

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Jerry West said he once saw Stephen Curry make 97 out 100 three point shots in practice, including 77 in a row. It's just going to be different in a game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I’m not being facetious.
Geno said postgame that they make 20 of 24 three pointers in practice, but they can’t make a shot
If the season continues as is, Geno will need more than a few sessions. A good shrink may determine why his underclassmen don't develop faster without game minutes. :rolleyes: Perhaps the men practice players don't pressure the UCONN women on the perimeter as well as UCONN's opponents do.

Reaction Score
If the season continues as is, Geno will need more than a few sessions. A good shrink may determine why his underclassmen don't develop faster without game minutes. :rolleyes: Perhaps the men practice players don't pressure the UCONN women on the perimeter as well as UCONN's opponents do.
That’s just it: they weren’t being pressured on the perimeter.
They were facing a 40 minute zone defense and they couldn’t hit the side of a barn.
(It got so bad in the late fourth quarter that they stopped passing the ball to Caroline.
Paradoxically everyone else was reluctant to shoot.)
Anyway, we’ve seen enough of this to know that something is wrong. Is it mental?
There have been some flippant responses to this, but seriously would a sports
psychologist be an additional viable tool to address whatever the problem is?

Reaction Score
Oldude,
Geno may be a great motivator, but I’m not sure that he is equipped to deal with such issues as performance
anxiety.
In addition this group of kids has had a lot thrown at them the last two years.
There is only one kid on this team who seems to be impervious to all this and I
think she may be from another planet.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude,
Geno may be a great motivator, but I’m not sure that he is equipped to deal with such issues as performance
anxiety.
In addition this group of kids has had a lot thrown at them the last two years.
There is only one kid on this team who seems to be impervious to all this and I
think she may be from another planet.
My post was somewhat tongue and cheek. But to your point, in his long coaching career Geno has learned a few things from dealing with many great players who put extraordinary pressure on themselves, including DT. I think he understands that everyone reacts differently to pressure. To some it’s like oxygen. They need it to survive. For others it’s toxic. Knowing when and how to push, and when to back off is a critical element of any coach’s ability to succeed.

Reaction Score
Geno and I are about the same age.

Sports psychologist my butt. They just need more focus in practice. Then run the plays in the games like they do in practice. It's been working for a quarter century. No need for new-fangled mumbo jumbo.

And get off my lawn!

Reaction Score
Is is just our players? I've taught in college for 25+ years and have noticed the last few years that students (particularly the cohort of young people reaching college age during the pandemic) just don't focus/read/listen deeply. I have to say that the effort level for many of them is not that great.

Geno has said that this group is difficult/doesn't listen well/doesn't get the plays/etc. I am not surprised at all.

Reaction Score
Geno and I are about the same age.

Sports psychologist my butt. They just need more focus in practice. Then run the plays in the games like they do in practice. It's been working for a quarter century. No need for new-fangled mumbo jumbo.

And get off my lawn!
I wouldn’t even go near your street.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not being facetious.
A couple, actually.

SPORTS MEDICINE SERVICES
PHONE: (860) 486-0404/FAX: (860) 486-5277
MAILING ADDRESS: 505 JIM CALHOUN WAY, UNIT 3204 STORRS, CT 06269
Dr. Deena CasieroDirector of Sports Medicine, Head Team Physiciandeena.casiero@uconn.edu
Dawn Shadron, LCSWDirector of Student-Athlete Counseling and Mental Health Servicesdawn.shadron@uconn.edu
Dr. Chelsea MoralesAthletics Multicultural Mental Health Clinicianchelsea.morales@uconn.edu
Dr. Samantha MorrisAthlete Mental Health Clinician (Psychologist)samantha.r.morris@uconn.edu
Dr. Matt HallTeam Physician mahall@uchc.edu
Dr. Allison SchaferTeam Physicianschafer@uchc.edu
Dr. Robert ArcieroOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Kathy CoynerOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Michael JoyceOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Augustus MazzocaOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Anthony AlessiTeam Neurologist
Dr. Dave PalozejTeam Optometrist
Dr. Kenneth LaroTeam Dentist
Jodie MitchellAdministrative Assistantjodie.mitchell@uconn.edu

Reaction Score
A couple, actually.

SPORTS MEDICINE SERVICES
PHONE: (860) 486-0404/FAX: (860) 486-5277
MAILING ADDRESS: 505 JIM CALHOUN WAY, UNIT 3204 STORRS, CT 06269
Dr. Deena CasieroDirector of Sports Medicine, Head Team Physiciandeena.casiero
Dawn Shadron, LCSWDirector of Student-Athlete Counseling and Mental Health Servicesdawn.shadron
Dr. Chelsea MoralesAthletics Multicultural Mental Health Clinicianchelsea.morales
Dr. Samantha MorrisAthlete Mental Health Clinician (Psychologist)samantha.r.morris
Dr. Matt HallTeam Physicianmahall@uchc.edu
Dr. Allison SchaferTeam Physicianschafer@uchc.edu
Dr. Robert ArcieroOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Kathy CoynerOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Michael JoyceOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Augustus MazzocaOrthopedic Team Physician
Dr. Anthony AlessiTeam Neurologist
Dr. Dave PalozejTeam Optometrist
Dr. Kenneth LaroTeam Dentist
Jodie MitchellAdministrative Assistantjodie.mitchell
More than the roster

Online statistics