Does tonight’s loss cost UCONN a #1 seed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does tonight’s loss cost UCONN a #1 seed

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not so sure it's a wash. There have been years where it was determined to be unfair to a 1 seed to have a 2 seed in the same region that has a geographical advantage. They typically like to make sure no 2 seeds stay in their home regions. UConn as a 2 seed could mean an automatic relocation to another region.

Get ready to travel.
Last year Oregon was the #2 seed in Spokane, where ND was the #1 seed.

I don't think the committee minds having a #2 seed with a geographical advantage.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last year Oregon was the #2 seed in Spokane, where ND was the #1 seed.

I don't think the committee minds having a #2 seed with a geographical advantage.

2006 Bridgeport. (UCONN) 2008 New Orleans (LSU) Those two are notable examples.

Reaction Score
This is a year in who remembers when where I am not looking ahead at seeding. Team has a lot of questions to still answer. The 1st year in a long time that we don't have that player that can take over a game attitude-wise (Rizzotti, Elliott, Taurasi, Cash, etc). I'm not sure we have anyone with that type of personality on this year's team which puts us a little bit more at risk. Pheesa, Lou & CD all bring great things to the court but their personalities don't bring swagger - that's why I liked CD's "outburst" a few games ago. Who remembers Taurasi at Tennesse punching the padding on the back board post & saying after the game "at that point I just needed to punch something orange"??????

Plebe

Reaction Score
UConn drops to 2-seed, faces uphill climb to return to No. 1

The big question is why UConn falls off the top line with a loss to another elite team when Notre Dame didn't drop from a No. 1 seed after Sunday's loss to North Carolina, a team with far weaker credentials.​
It comes down to a team's overall résumé. Who teams lose to matters, but not without regard to wins and the total impact of a season. Despite its loss to UNC, Notre Dame still boasted the top RPI and strength of schedule in the country. UConn is No. 7 and No. 20, respectively.​

Reaction Score

The big question is why UConn falls off the top line with a loss to another elite team when Notre Dame didn't drop from a No. 1 seed after Sunday's loss to North Carolina, a team with far weaker credentials.​
It comes down to a team's overall résumé. Who teams lose to matters, but not without regard to wins and the total impact of a season. Despite its loss to UNC, Notre Dame still boasted the top RPI and strength of schedule in the country. UConn is No. 7 and No. 20, respectively.​
Well there is certainly the possibility that Oregon could still lose a few PAC-12 games...I guess it matters to which teams The Ducks were to lose, and if on their home court or not. But, even so, I think MSU has the inside track to a #1 seed, if no PAC-12 team is a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Well there is certainly the possibility that Oregon could still lose a few PAC-12 games...I guess it matters to which teams The Ducks were to lose, and if on their home court or not. But, even so, I think MSU has the inside track to a #1 seed, if no PAC-12 team is a #1 seed.

Ore has possibly 7 tough games -- Utah, @Stan, Ore St, @Ore St, @AzSt., and then the PAC semis/finals. If they go 5-2, they are a #1.

Reaction Score
Ore has possibly 7 tough games -- Utah, @Stan, Ore St, @Ore St, @AzSt., and then the PAC semis/finals. If they go 5-2, they are a #1.
I think that depends...... if OSU wins out, including the PAC-12 championship, OR, Oregon loses to Arizona and/or Cal, I'm not sure MSU isn't #1 seed assuming they roll through the rest of the season undefeated. Granted, that is a lot of "ifs", but with all the parity this season, there is still a long way to go.

Reaction Score
I think that depends. if OSU wins out, including the PAC-12 championship, OR, Oregon loses to Arizona and/or Cal, I'm not sure MSU isn't #1 seed assuming they roll through the rest of the season undefeated. Granted, that is a lot of "ifs", but with all the parity this season, there is still a long way to go.

Huh? If Ore St wins out, that means Ore has at least 3 more losses. I said if Ore loses 2 times, they get a #1.

Reaction Score

As long as they apply this RPI business against MD I can live with it.

Reaction Score
I’m perplexed how UConn could be off the #1 seed line based on results with a loss to #3 and a loss to #8 while ND has lost to UConn and an unrankes team and UConn. I don’t think by the eye test that UConn deserves a #1 seed unless they can consistently play like they did at ND, but based on records and results, I don’t see how they could be moved? It likely won’t matter anyway. Let’s be any seed and play the underdog for once and prove they deserve the legacy they’ve grown....

Plebe

Reaction Score
I’m perplexed how UConn could be off the #1 seed line based on results with a loss to #3 and a loss to #8 while ND has lost to UConn and an unrankes team and UConn. I don’t think by the eye test that UConn deserves a #1 seed unless they can consistently play like they did at ND, but based on records and results, I don’t see how they could be moved? It likely won’t matter anyway. Let’s be any seed and play the underdog for once and prove they deserve the legacy they’ve grown....
A team's résumé is defined primarily by wins, not losses. The committee has consistently shown that a quality win helps a team more than an unexpected loss hurts it.

Notre Dame has 5 RPI top 25 wins (RPI ranking in parentheses):
Louisville (3), Marquette (10), Iowa (11), Gonzaga (13), Drake (15)
(Notre Dame also has a high-quality win over Oregon State, whom the committee will regard more highly than their current #37 RPI ranking would suggest.)

Compared to 3 RPI top 25 wins for UConn:
ND (1), UCF (16), Cal (22)

People are making way too much of ND's loss to an "unranked" team—at least in terms of its impact on seeding. The committee can and will be very cognizant of the fact that ND was missing a key starter for that game, provided that Jackie Young returns to the team and is available for the postseason.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A team's résumé is defined primarily by wins, not losses. The committee has consistently shown that a quality helps a team more than an unexpected loss hurts it.

Notre Dame has 5 RPI top 25 wins (ranking in parentheses):
Louisville (3), Marquette (10), Iowa (11), Gonzaga (13), Drake (15)
(Notre Dame also has a high-quality win over Oregon State, whom the committee will regard more highly than their current #37 RPI ranking would suggest.)

Compared to 3 RPI top 25 wins for UConn:
ND (1), UCF (16), Cal (22)

People are making way too much of ND's loss to an "unranked" team—at least in terms of its impact on seeding. The committee can and will be very cognizant of the fact that ND was missing a key starter for that game, provided that Jackie Young returns to the team and is available for the postseason.

Probably already mentioned in this thread.... but ND has games against Miami (26), FSU (13) NC State (3) Duke (94), and Syracuse (10) .... along with possible ACC tournament matchups vs Louisville, and Syracuse/NC State again. They still could lose another game and get a #1 seed.... probably.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Probably already mentioned in this thread.... but ND has games against Miami (26), FSU (13) NC State (3) Duke (94), and Syracuse (10) .... along with possible ACC tournament matchups vs Louisville, and Syracuse/NC State again. They still could lose another game and get a #1 seed.... probably.

Ha what does that fine print say after NC State (3)?

Just curious: What do your numbers in parentheses signify? If they're supposed to be RPI ranking, those numbers aren't matching what I'm seeing...

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

Just curious: What do your numbers in parentheses signify? If they're supposed to be RPI ranking, those numbers aren't matching what I'm seeing...
Triad's numbers initially threw me for a loop as well. They are the RealTimeRPI Power Ratings

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I thought they were the number of wings he would need to eat to console himself if Duke lost to that team. :)
Do you have any idea how much Cheerwine and/or hard cider it would take to wash down 94 wings? I shudder at the thought!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
94? the worst number I saw was 26 for mia?
94 Is Duke's rating in Realtime RPI Power Ratings. It is nearly non-legible in his post, but if you highlight the area right after NC State, you can see it more clearly.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Katy can't get open

This is pedantic, I know, but she's a senior. It's "Katie Lou."

And some of you really don't understand strength of schedule? And that AP rankings don't mean anything to the committee?

Whatever seed puts UConn as far away from Baylor as possible is fine with me.

Reaction Score
My take on all this is that they have been playing games in the conference with teams that are far below the talent of UCONN and when they play a team in the top echelon of the country, they have not been challenged enough previously and despite feeling that they are ready for the game, they don't rise up to the better competition. The AAC is a drag on their season. these teams have to get better to give UCONN the competition they need to face the Louisvilles,Baylor, and the like.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
My take on all this is that they have been playing games in the conference with teams that are far below the talent of UCONN and when they play a team in the top echelon of the country, they have not been challenged enough previously and despite feeling that they are ready for the game, they don't rise up to the better competition. The AAC is a drag on their season. these teams have to get better to give UCONN the competition they need to face the Louisvilles,Baylor, and the like.

Nah. I mean, it's the same conference as when Stewie was here.

Yes, the AAC does hurt them but only in terms of RPI.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

94 Is Duke's rating in Realtime RPI Power Ratings. It is nearly non-legible in his post, but if you highlight the area right after NC State, you can see it more clearly.

Oops.... i was looking at the wrong numbers.... I thought 94 seemed kinda low for the RPI

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought they were the number of wings he would need to eat to console himself if Duke lost to that team. :)

that might be an idea for next thursday night. in the case of a loss...... of course not 94 wings..... perhaps a wing for each point Duke loses by if that nightmare happens. Head bang

Do you have any idea how much Cheerwine and/or hard cider it would take to wash down 94 wings? I shudder at the thought!

Back in my younger days..... a large soda was suitable for 20 wings... plus a 1/2 pound burger and fries... ..... so perhaps a 2 liter plus a 20 oz would do the trick :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom