Does tonight’s loss cost UCONN a #1 seed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does tonight’s loss cost UCONN a #1 seed

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Unless they lose another game, I don't think so. At worst, they will get the highest 2 seed, which is looking like ND again. The last 1 seed with probably be the loser of the ACC tournament (ND/Lou) or it could be Stanford or Oregon
I don't believe that they use the S-curve when they select 2-seeds, but rather the G-curve (geography). Assuming that ND is the lowest ranked 1-seed now (which is debatable), that wouldn't guarantee that they head to Albany, as Louisville will probably end up there or Greensboro. The Irish would still probably head to Chicago and perhaps face Miss St, as their 2-seed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Teams that have won it all as a #2 seed or lower:
  • Tennessee (2), 1987
  • Louisiana Tech (2), 1988
  • Texas Tech (2), 1993
  • North Carolina (3), 1994
  • Tennessee (3), 1997
  • UConn (2), 2004
  • Baylor (2), 2005
  • Maryland (2), 2006
  • Texas A&M (2), 2011
It's happened at least twice in each of the first 3 decades of the NCAA tournament. To keep that streak alive, it'll have to happen again this year :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know they won’t leave Albany.. NCAA won’t do that. But I think losing tonight will cost them a number 1 seed. Sadly The AAC is horendus. UCONN has to get out of this conference.. I think future recruiting is going to affect it.. players want to play in a good conference to be challenged night in and night out. Louisville played great .. UCONN just doesn’t have enough depth .. Geno and company has to do a better job in recruiting .. next year is going to be a very very long season.. truth hurts .. this UCONN team just doesn’t have anything after the starting 5. It all starts with the horrible conference ... kids are looking away .. Geno needs to bring in players in the off season and sign players for 2020 or sadly the dynasty is coming to a end. I will be shocked if UCONN makes it to a final four.. elite 8 at best.
All things come to an end. It came to an end for the UCLA men, a dynasty under John Wooden. This, too, shall end. The women's game is finally getting broadly more competitive. Look at the upsets this season, already ( eg North Carolina beat Notre Dame ). It is great for the game, but not so great for UCONN lovers. Tonight, Louisville was clearly the better team. It was a role reversal; we played like Louisville for the past 16 years and they played like UCONN.

We have a strange situation, in that our two all world freshman ( and an all world sophomore ) are not playing like previous all world, young UCONN stars. Williams has become scary bad. When she missed her initial 8-10 footer, I figured she was done for the night... Loss of confidence. Then, later, she launches an " open look" air ball. Something is amiss. It seems as if the ND game was a myth.

ODO can't do much of anything. She gets her shot stuffed by someone who is about half her height. Misses lay-ups. And I will wager this; not one person in the free world expected her open 10 foot jump shot to go in. It never even occurred to me that it might.

Pheesa is not an outside shooter, either. So, if they make it impossible for Katy to shoot, it is all on Crystal. And Crystal has to do everything else. Walker missed about 6 put backs, right? She did rebound well, but that mattered little when our offense was so useless. There is little to say here, except that we lost to a better team. We can't find a scapegoat either ( exams, travel, weather, freshman malaise, the competition in the AAC, etc ).

We are not that good and don't want to admit it.

Reaction Score
IMHO when UCONN plays the top competition, such as L'ville, they need their seniors to play like seniors!
I think that the combination of Lou and Pheesa having off nights, and yes I know Lou scored 16 and Pheesa got 20, but the eye-test had them having an off-night! Too many missed inside shots that they usually make! CW hitting the "freshman wall" when the seniors are off their feed puts more pressure on Megan and Crystal Dangerfield along with the bench to make up the difference and right now only Crystal Dangerfield and MW are scoring consistently!
L'ville played a great game and forced many misses, congrats to them!
UCONN misses Gabby & Kia to lock-down the opposing hot shooter(s), Durr and Evans tonight. Crystal Dangerfield can't lock them down for the whole 40 minutes like those 2 did!
I still feel that potentially it's there for UCONN but they have to get their act together now not later!

Reaction Score
This last years class had not real standout clear cut #1 player. I think everyone at Uconn had too high of expectations from CW. She is a good solid player but not a superstar that can carry a team like many envisioned her. She is the type of player who will take advantage of opportunities but not so much create them when facing serious defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Christyn will be a megastar. She was, in fact, the consensus #1 player last year. She just needs more time. Stewie had a major clunker of a game on February 18 of her freshman year and still became the Final Four MOP. Christyn can turn things around. The question is when.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I don’t understand how UConn drops to a two seed after losing to the #3 ranked team, when ND stays as a 1 seed after losing to UConn and an unranked team???
ND Got pounded at home by a team in foul trouble, while playing dirty trying to hurt U Conn, then a bad loss to a bad team

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I think Christyn will be a megastar. She was, in fact, the consensus #1 player last year. She just needs more time. Stewie had a major clunker of a game on February 18 of her freshman year and still became the Final Four MOP. Christyn can turn things around. The question is when.
Stewie was a clunker until the NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
IMHO when UCONN plays the top competition, such as L'ville, they need their seniors to play like seniors!
I think that the combination of Lou and Pheesa having off nights, and yes I know Lou scored 16 and Pheesa got 20, but the eye-test had them having an off-night! Too many missed inside shots that they usually make! CW hitting the "freshman wall" when the seniors are off their feed puts more pressure on Megan and Crystal Dangerfield along with the bench to make up the difference and right now only Crystal Dangerfield and MW are scoring consistently!
L'ville played a great game and forced many misses, congrats to them!
UCONN misses Gabby & Kia to lock-down the opposing hot shooter(s), Durr and Evans tonight. Crystal Dangerfield can't lock them down for the whole 40 minutes like those 2 did!
I still feel that potentially it's there for UCONN but they have to get their act together now not later!
Megan shot 3-13 what game were you watching

Reaction Score
Yes, we are a #2 seed and we can't move to a #1 unless Louisville loses to anyone but ND and Oregon loses to anyone but Stanford. Baylor and ND won't lose another game this season.
I won’t be too confident and say that ND wont lose another game. They’ll likely see Louisville in the ACC tournament and that’ll be a tight one I’m sure. Just as Baylor has Texas twice and possibly a third time in the Big 12 tournament. Let’s just see how things shape up.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, we are a #2 seed and we can't move to a #1 unless Louisville loses to anyone but ND and Oregon loses to anyone but Stanford. Baylor and ND won't lose another game this season.

ND still has some perilous road trips this year: NC State, Syracuse, Miami. And if they match up against Louisville in the ACC playoffs that rematch will be a battle, but one that could toughen up both teams for the subsequent NCAA Big Show. (However, like most Irish fans, quite happy to see Jackie Young is back...;))

BTW, Stanford lost to Cal last night so that conference is going to keep adding variations to Mr. Creme.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of right now I'd say yes. But depends on what else happens.
I could see Lou as the #1 in Albany.
This actually would not be a bad draw. Albany would essentially be a home game and I could see us beating Louisville at home. Rather see us play them on a somewhat local court than somewhere down the line that would draw their fans.

Reaction Score
True...but Christyn has had many clunkers. Mostly clunkers. She is not the same player we saw against ND. Where is that supremely confident..." I was born for this " ..... player? And she is not 6'4" with an enormous wingspan.

Reaction Score
I won’t be too confident and say that ND wont lose another game. They’ll likely see Louisville in the ACC tournament and that’ll be a tight one I’m sure. Just as Baylor has Texas twice and possibly a third time in the Big 12 tournament. Let’s just see how things shape up.
It doesn't matter what seed we become. If we play like we played against Louisville, we are going to go out of the tournament against any quality team.

Reaction Score
I know they won’t leave Albany.. NCAA won’t do that. But I think losing tonight will cost them a number 1 seed. Sadly The AAC is horendus. UCONN has to get out of this conference.. I think future recruiting is going to affect it.. players want to play in a good conference to be challenged night in and night out. Louisville played great .. UCONN just doesn’t have enough depth .. Geno and company has to do a better job in recruiting .. next year is going to be a very very long season.. truth hurts .. this UCONN team just doesn’t have anything after the starting 5. It all starts with the horrible conference ... kids are looking away .. Geno needs to bring in players in the off season and sign players for 2020 or sadly the dynasty is coming to a end. I will be shocked if UCONN makes it to a final four.. elite 8 at best.
We have one more " test " game...against South Carolina. True, they are not what they were either, but they are hot right now and UCONN is not. But another game where Chrysten is replaced by Mikala, where Megan misses nearly every shot under the hoop, where Katy can't get open....where we are out rebounded and out defensed...and the party is over. In fact, we just have to look at this team as one which, if it can put together a few perfect games in a row, can surprise and beat anyone. But the starting five have to each excellent. It won't work if only two or three starters are dominating. And, frankly, I don't se how we ever beat a " big " team.... like Baylor...unless we are shooting about 60% from the arc. And everyone is launching threes. We were dominated by the "big" players on Louisville.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Not much difference, they will get to play the no1 seed (other than ND/LV/Baylor ) who would be the no. 2 seed in uconn’s region had UConn won tonight. So it is a wash

Not so sure it's a wash. There have been years where it was determined to be unfair to a 1 seed to have a 2 seed in the same region that has a geographical advantage. They typically like to make sure no 2 seeds stay in their home regions. UConn as a 2 seed could mean an automatic relocation to another region.

Get ready to travel.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not so sure it's a wash. There have been years where it was determined to be unfair to a 1 seed to have a 2 seed in the same region that has a geographical advantage. They typically like to make sure no 2 seeds stay in their home regions. UConn as a 2 seed could mean an automatic relocation to another region.

Get ready to travel.

To Albany

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom