Does this team miss.. Josh Carlton? | The Boneyard

Does this team miss.. Josh Carlton?

Reaction Score
So hear me out here.... I know there were supposed to be a real shortage of minutes in the post with Adama, Akok, Whaley, Samson, Richie and every Tyler getting run at the 4. BUT, with the injury to Adama and the interior D the past two games, I think if Josh were still in national flag blue he would get some real run to bang with Watson and Lewis these past two games. I love what Whaley does as a team defender but I think he got a touch exposed by the bullying type of post player (who were allowed by the officials to go right through his chest). I'm probably wrong and I know that Josh couldn't hard hedge like Danny wanted but I always love how tough Josh played and while I know he gets more minutes as Houston I think it woulda been a nice piece to have for games like these past two. I think Samson is going to be a star, but clearly Danny doesn't think he is ready to play big east minutes yet. Hopefully once fully recovered, Adama can help lock down against the stronger post players. But I have to admit seeing Uconn get pushed around inside brought back some DeJuan Blair memories.

Reaction Score
Carlton would be unhappy. He was useful last year in a number of games ... because some teams - often lower tier mid major - had guys he should match and then dominate. We would not put JC in rotation for much this year.

I notice you didn't report how he is doing in Houston

Reaction Score
Without reading that text wall:

Yes, last night were some very very specific circumstances where Carlton would have helped -- a more physical defender in the post than Whaley or Akok on a night where Sanogo was killing us on both ends and basically unplayable.

But those are very rare circumstances and Sanogo (hopefully) won't look that bad for long.

Reaction Score
Do I miss Josh Carlton and do I think he would help this team? Absolutely.

He would bring the team an experienced, thick body to play behind Sanogo.

I'm also not surprised he's playing better at Houston (9p, 4.8r, 59.5 fg% in 18 mpg). They're a better team and have a better offense, which allows Carlton to be more efficient.

However, it's not like I'm like "man, I wish he stuck around". It was his choice to take a grad transfer year elsewhere and I totally understand his decision and I'm also glad he's playing well on an excellent team where he has a more defined role than what he would have at UConn this year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Carlton would be unhappy. He was useful last year in a number of games ... because some teams - often lower tier mid major - had guys he should match and then dominate. We would not put JC in rotation for much this year.

I notice you didn't report how he is doing in Houston
here's the recent record for the coach who snapped up josh in a nanosecond.
27-8, 33-4, 23-8, and 28-4 and final four last year. hmmmm.....
currently, josh is 9 and 5 in 18 minutes. production with a capital "P."
for a 10-2 team. apparently, that coach wants josh to shoot a bit more.
'lower tier and mid-major?' u musta missed the usc game, and what he did against what i consider to be the best player in last year's draft.
josh is gonna get paid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, he would help. He was always our best post defender and post offensive player until Sanogo arrived. But, he can't hard hedge, and that leaves him out of position in Hurley's defense. If DH was willing to adapt to him and he was willing to be a backup, he would certainly be able to help.

Reaction Score
So hear me out here.... I know there were supposed to be a real shortage of minutes in the post with Adama, Akok, Whaley, Samson, Richie and every Tyler getting run at the 4. BUT, with the injury to Adama and the interior D the past two games, I think if Josh were still in national flag blue he would get some real run to bang with Watson and Lewis these past two games. I love what Whaley does as a team defender but I think he got a touch exposed by the bullying type of post player (who were allowed by the officials to go right through his chest). I'm probably wrong and I know that Josh couldn't hard hedge like Danny wanted but I always love how tough Josh played and while I know he gets more minutes as Houston I think it woulda been a nice piece to have for games like these past two. I think Samson is going to be a star, but clearly Danny doesn't think he is ready to play big east minutes yet. Hopefully once fully recovered, Adama can help lock down against the stronger post players. But I have to admit seeing Uconn get pushed around inside brought back some DeJuan Blair memories.

Do you miss him?

Reaction Score
Houston seems to be working out for him and I'm really happy for him. His minutes and his numbers are up from last year. He also put in his time at UCONN and was sorta kicked to the curb as a senior. I know this sorta evades your actual question, but I don't miss him for those reasons. Because the change of scenery appears to be working for him.

Reaction Score
Did anyone ask the team?

Would he have helped during Sanogo's absence, including last night where his minutes were limited and he was rusty? Heck yes. But he didn't want to come back to be in the wall behind a panel that said "break only in event of emergency." And that is where he would have been placed.

This. /endthread

Reaction Score
Yes if only for the reason that if he was playing some would complain he’s taking minutes from Johnson and if he wasn’t playing there would be complaints about her w much better we’d be with him in the lineup

Reaction Score
here's the recent record for the coach who snapped up josh in a nanosecond.
27-8, 33-4, 23-8, and 28-4 and final four last year. hmmmm.....
currently, josh is 9 and 5 in 18 minutes. production with a capital "P."
for a 10-2 team. apparently, that coach wants josh to shoot a bit more.
'lower tier and mid-major?' u musta missed the usc game, and what he did against what i consider to be the best player in last year's draft.
josh is gonna get paid.

We wish him well. I would not change one word in what I typed.

We are playing different and Carlton would not have fit. For all the praise of Kelvin Sampson, he still is considered a dirtbag by my close friends at Indiana.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom