Does this team miss.. Josh Carlton? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does this team miss.. Josh Carlton?

Reaction Score
Team needs another guard who can handle the ball and run the offense for 10 mins a game, basically the role Gaffney was to play, not a back up big man who turns it over at a high rate, is not a great FT shooter and can be a black hole when the ball is dumped down to him.

Reaction Score
We wish him well. I would not change one word in what I typed.

We are playing different and Carlton would not have fit. For all the praise of Kelvin Sampson, he still is considered a dirtbag by my close friends at Indiana.
IU would be in a much much much better place if he never had to leave.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So hear me out here.... I know there were supposed to be a real shortage of minutes in the post with Adama, Akok, Whaley, Samson, Richie and every Tyler getting run at the 4. BUT, with the injury to Adama and the interior D the past two games, I think if Josh were still in national flag blue he would get some real run to bang with Watson and Lewis these past two games. I love what Whaley does as a team defender but I think he got a touch exposed by the bullying type of post player (who were allowed by the officials to go right through his chest). I'm probably wrong and I know that Josh couldn't hard hedge like Danny wanted but I always love how tough Josh played and while I know he gets more minutes as Houston I think it woulda been a nice piece to have for games like these past two. I think Samson is going to be a star, but clearly Danny doesn't think he is ready to play big east minutes yet. Hopefully once fully recovered, Adama can help lock down against the stronger post players. But I have to admit seeing Uconn get pushed around inside brought back some DeJuan Blair memories.
You lost me at , "So hear me out here..."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Of course he would help this team
Anyone who says no hasn't seen him play at Houston
He plays on a team with some very good basketball players, a team that would compete very well in the NBE and he is a solid contributor on a team that plays with an offensive plan and defense with tenacity. His court sense, footwork and BB IQ has grown at Houston.
Yeah he's a KO kid so he sucks - I know:eek:

If Josh Carlton is the answer, then “what ensures a first weekend exit” must be the question.

JC. himself, wont cause a first weekend exit but might be a piece that could help ensure UConn even gets invited. His experience alone counts more than some like to take into consideration.

Edit: The new current JC would help UConn but if he stayed I am bit doubtful

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Team needs another guard who can handle the ball and run the offense for 10 mins a game, basically the role Gaffney was to play, not a back up big man who turns it over at a high rate, is not a great FT shooter and can be a black hole when the ball is dumped down to him.
says someone else who hasn't seen him play at Houston

Reaction Score
says someone else who hasn't seen him play at Houston
Wrong.

Your entire "analysis" is based on Houston, outside of his "experience" and nothing about Josh's actual game. Want to try again, and dispute his FT shooting? His TO rate? Who is getting mins over? He is getting mins on Houston because they have no one else with anywhere close to his size on the bench, not because of his talent and production.

Clearly you watched one game, the Bama one, and missed the UVA, Wisky, and OK State game.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
For people saying Josh would help us, assuming AS was healthy whose minutes would JC take? Whaley's? Akoks? I don't see where the minutes come from.

Reaction Score
reading that name just sent me down a dark path
I'm with you:

carlton GIF

Reaction Score
If Josh Carlton is the answer, then “what ensures a first weekend exit” must be the question.

JC. himself, wont cause a first weekend exit but might be a piece that could help ensure UConn even gets invited. His experience alone counts more than some like to take into consideration.
So you don’t think UConn is going to make the tourney as is? His experience would be worthless mainly because he’d be sitting on the bench, pretty much like he did last year. I mean that might help if the arena is cold at least he could keep the seat warm for the next guy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Carlton is averaging 9 points on 60% shooting and 5 boards in only 18 mpg. Of course we could use him.

The deemphasis of centers is a result of a severe misunderstanding of analytics. I predict that teams will start using traditional centers again within the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
So hear me out here.... I know there were supposed to be a real shortage of minutes in the post with Adama, Akok, Whaley, Samson, Richie and every Tyler getting run at the 4. BUT, with the injury to Adama and the interior D the past two games, I think if Josh were still in national flag blue he would get some real run to bang with Watson and Lewis these past two games. I love what Whaley does as a team defender but I think he got a touch exposed by the bullying type of post player (who were allowed by the officials to go right through his chest). I'm probably wrong and I know that Josh couldn't hard hedge like Danny wanted but I always love how tough Josh played and while I know he gets more minutes as Houston I think it woulda been a nice piece to have for games like these past two. I think Samson is going to be a star, but clearly Danny doesn't think he is ready to play big east minutes yet. Hopefully once fully recovered, Adama can help lock down against the stronger post players. But I have to admit seeing Uconn get pushed around inside brought back some DeJuan Blair memories.
Actually in our biggest wins in Hurley‘s tenor Josh usually had a big inpack, Florida , Miami ,@Temple Cinncy, two years ago and USC last year are all games where Josh came up big
He had more trouble chasing the 6’6” mid major guys out at the perimeter. Especially when he was 260. Who could forget the Cinncy 7’0” eating 6’8” Whaley’s Lunch until Josh knock him on his ass . He lost his aggressiveness after that and it was an important win at the time. The game last year that ensured the tourney was USC he came out of mothballs and was 9-11 in our only real marquis win last year. Then promptly went back into mothballs.
The answer to the OP question is of couse we could use an experienced 5 especially when Whaley or Sonogo couldn’t go you seriously have to question the sanity of someone who disagrees with that statement. If we had him there is a chance we’re undefeated
Whaley out vs MSU
Sonogo out vs WVA, PC
You never know.
Now an honest appraisal:

Carlton was a luxury for us, a strictly matchup Big, not really well suited athletically to what Hurley wants his bigs to do. Overplaying usually got him into foul trouble. That role was unfair to the kid as un athletic as Josh. A very good rebounder but not mobile.
We could use him not only during Whaley/ Sonogo injuries but also when confronted by a legitimate power five.
I believe he had a talk with Hurley and I’m sure coach was honest. If your a players coach than you don’t screw loyal kids over by hording them. He was honest with both Adams and Carlton and their in better situations.
Adams is in one of the top MBA programs in the country forget basketball he will probably be a billionaire hedge fund manager
and Carlton is in a situation where he is playing which helps land a better deal somewhere. That’s how you treat loyal kids.
Josh went to a good team that needed a backup 5. I suspect he will get minutes come tourney time. They’re very banged up so he actually started a couple of games so he has been a savior for Houston I’m sure Sampson was elated to get an experienced kid. He is a regular in the rotation. True he wouldn’t of been getting significant minutes here . But his departure has left a hole maybe a minor one but still a hole. Maybe Johnson will fill the hole someday.

Reaction Score
Texas State is a legit contender to win the Sun Belt. They're not elite, but they're not Coppin State, either.
They’re a middling team that is not going to be able to play with the likes of Houston and their biggest player was giving up 3 inches and 20+ pounds to Carlton. I’m just making the point, these are the types of games where Carlton put up big numbers here as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They’re a middling team that is not going to be able to play with the likes of Houston and their biggest player was giving up 3 inches and 20+ pounds to Carlton. I’m just making the point, these are the types of games where Carlton put up big numbers here as well.
Can't you let him have this?

Reaction Score
We’re just going to leave the opponent out of that one, aren’t we?
I mean I was just pointing out he had a good game and Texas St is in the low 100s in kenpom. Usually people like to pull for guys that were formerly in the program.

He also had 14points 6rebounds and 3 blocks against Bama and was one of the better players on the court that game.

Reaction Score
Carlton is averaging 9 points on 60% shooting and 5 boards in only 18 mpg. Of course we could use him.

The deemphasis of centers is a result of a severe misunderstanding of analytics. I predict that teams will start using traditional centers again within the next 5 years.
Just to confirm, are you pro or anti big man? It’s been hard to tell with your posts on here

Reaction Score
We wish him well. I would not change one word in what I typed.

We are playing different and Carlton would not have fit. For all the praise of Kelvin Sampson, he still is considered a dirtbag by my close friends at Indiana.
I bet they are ND football fans and think their 2013 team should’ve beaten Cuse too lol. I think IU would’ve had a title if they kept him, he is one of the best coaches in the game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom