Does this push ND to join a conf? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Does this push ND to join a conf?

Reaction Score
Remember, Dave Benedict is just thrilled to be in the Big East and has no intention of leaving. (His words, not mine)

Yeah "Just thrilled" until a full time ACC or B1G offer comes in, then we bolt in a nano second. (don't kid yourself otherwise)

And if ND were to take a sweetheart deal and join the B12 and solidify them again as a power conference we would probably go there too (assuming the money was good, 20 million plus per year)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah "Just thrilled" until a full time ACC or B1G offer comes in, then we bolt in a nano second. (don't kid yourself otherwise)

And if ND were to take a sweetheart deal and join the B12 and solidify them again as a power conference we would probably go there too (assuming the money was good, 20 million plus per year)
If we were ever invited to a P5 conference (we won’t be) it would be the ACC. Big 12 would not be looking at UCONN.

The ACC teams might start getting poached by the big 12 and then I can see a UCONN invite. But the ACC will be a G5 at that point.

Reaction Score
Not going to happen (Notre Dame or UCONN to Big 12)

Remember, Dave Benedict is just thrilled to be in the Big East and has no intention of leaving. (His words, not mine)
No intention of leaving. LOL. If the right opportunity came along, UConn would leave the New Big East faster than Kelly left Notre Dame (a place he had no intention of leaving, his words). UConn would leave mid-season if the ACC or the Big 10 called. For the B10 they’d leave midway through the first half of the first league game if that was the condition of entry. They’d probably wait until half time for the ACC. Maybe not for the B12. They’d play out the year for that. No intention of leaving…LOL!

Reaction Score
No intention of leaving. LOL. If the right opportunity came along, UConn would leave the New Big East faster than Kelly left Notre Dame (a place he had no intention of leaving, his words). UConn would leave mid-season if the ACC or the Big 10 called. For the B10 they’d leave midway through the first half of the first league game if that was the condition of entry. They’d probably wait until half time for the ACC. Maybe not for the B12. They’d play out the year for that. No intention of leaving…LOL!
Talk to our AD

Reaction Score
The B12 should make a run at Notre Dame.

Offer ND the same sweetheart deal they gave Texas. The B12 would give Notre Dame an easy path to the proposed 12 team playoff which might be appealing to them. Given that it would already have an easy conference path to the playoff ND could use the four non-conference games to play its traditional rivals (Michigan, Stanford, USC, Navy)
Maybe UCONN could join the B12 with ND if we agreed to always play them at Yankee Stadium for our home game. (ND is huge in NYC)
ND has zero desire to join any football conference (why this hasn't sunk in over the past twenty five years is amazing to me).

Also, ND is contractually bound to join the ACC if it ever does join a conference for football (part of the GOR/ACC Network deal).

Why would ND want to join the Big 12, even if the playoffs don't expand (which they will) ?

Why wouldn't it just join the ACC since it has 24 other sports playing there or breach that contract for the $85 million or so it would get for joining the Big Ten if it ever surrendered independence?

Reaction Score
Compare and contrast the records of the two schools the last five or last ten years.

P.S. Marcus Freeman will be named ND's head coach, probably by tomorrow.
Freeman has never even won a Broyles Award. pfffft.

Reaction Score
IBM and GE still make plenty of money. But are they dinosaurs?

TJT

Reaction Score
Just the new landscape these days - Notre Dame and Oklahoma are stepping stone jobs.

Reaction Score
Talk to our AD
lol what is he supposed to say. Yep we're in the Big East, but only because it's our best option at the moment. If the ACC comes along wink wink - you know you want us! we're out in a minute. The Big East would kick us out.

Reaction Score
Just the new landscape these days - Notre Dame and Oklahoma are stepping stone jobs.
From Kelly's perspective, it's much easier to recruit at LSU. The Tigers last three head coaches have won national titles. He's a better coach than the last two. Nick Saban isn't going to coach Alabama forever. Oh... and it's a sweet contract.

From LSU's perspective, they'd pay an up and coming head coach $4 to $7 million. Hard to argue that a proven commodity like Kelly isn't worth $10 million.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Big 12 would not be looking at UCONN.
That depends upon what happens to it, where are the revenue stream is after Oklahoma and Texas leave and whether you can revives it’s now moribund football team. We know that the last time the big 12 looked at expansion Connecticut was one of the top candidates, with the only drawback being it’s horrific geographic fit.

That said, I’m not sure that Connecticut would except a big 12 invite. The new big 12 is likely to distribute not greater than 20 million a team. Any new additions are likely to be phased into that. For Connecticut, joining the “little 12“ smells an awful lot like the American. I don’t see us doing it. For us the only two big 12 P5 conferences that makes sense are the ACC, because of geography, or the Big Ten, because of revenue and prestige. Of those two, I think only the ACC is a somewhat realistic possibility, and even at that, it’s not particularly likely unless it loses current members.

Reaction Score
I believe that when we left the AAC we abandoned any chance at a P5 invite. We should have followed the same path as Cincinnati. It’s likely that only two conferences will survive with somewhere between 48-64 teams. The competition for college football is the NFL. The NFL contract is 16 billion per year versus a total of 4 billion for the P5 conferences.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
If we were ever invited to a P5 conference (we won’t be) it would be the ACC. Big 12 would not be looking at UCONN.

The ACC teams might start getting poached by the big 12 and then I can see a UCONN invite. But the ACC will be a G5 at that point.
Would be pretty comical after the last decade of gut-wrenching agony if the ACC ends up getting raided and ends up backfilling to basically the old Big East's footprint

Reaction Score
Do you mean AAC, not ACC?

The ACC is solid for another 15 years...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I believe that when we left the AAC we abandoned any chance at a P5 invite.
I don't really agree with that. Rejoining the Big East has helped get men's BB back in a good place. Our football could make a better schedule as an independent than in the AAC, and isn't that all the AAC was good for was scheduling? I believe we're more attractive now than when we left the AAC. If HC JM turns this around as we all hope, we are way more attractive. Our problem is location which really limits us to 2 possible conferences.
I just don't see what being aligned with the AAC did to enhance us.

Reaction Score
I don't really agree with that. Rejoining the Big East has helped get men's BB back in a good place. Our football could make a better schedule as an independent than in the AAC, and isn't that all the AAC was good for was scheduling? I believe we're more attractive now than when we left the AAC. If HC JM turns this around as we all hope, we are way more attractive. Our problem is location which really limits us to 2 possible conferences.
Yep, were not UC Cincy. Different area that makes since for B12. Different access to talent and admissions.

Reaction Score
This. It is much more prestigious to be a good independent than a good AAC team in football. BYU and ND were always the big ones. There is a place for us to use our brand name and basketball prowess to help boost our football team once it starts winning. An independent and ranked UConn football team, in conjunction with ranked men’s and women’s basketball teams from the Big East, is far more compelling than a middling group of teams in the AAC. I feel a weight off my shoulders that I never have to say that UConn is in the AAC again to anyone that asks. I’m proud to say we are in the Big East and football is Indy. If the person wishes to pursue the discussion further, I get to tell them how well we are scheduling, about the facilities etc. We don’t have to talk about what schools are in the AAC, how we ended up there etc. That was so embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Our football program is in the toilet. If we were still in the AAC we might be playing in the Military Bowl v BC or Fenway v UVA with a 6-6 or 7-5 record. No recruits wanted anything to do with an independent UConn. Games against Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, USF, ECU and Memphis were all quality opponents in a conference with bowl tie ins. We’re a laughing stock in major college football.

Basketball can succeed in any conference, just look at Gonzaga and Loyola-Chicago. I like the Big East, but it’s not like the old Big East. Don’t forget baseball was better off in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Our football program is in the toilet. If we were still in the AAC we might be playing in the Military Bowl v BC or Fenway v UVA with a 6-6 or 7-5 record. No recruits wanted anything to do with an independent UConn. Games against Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, USF, ECU and Memphis were all quality opponents in a conference with bowl tie ins. We’re a laughing stock in major college football.

Basketball can succeed in any conference, just look at Gonzaga and Loyola-Chicago. I like the Big East, but it’s not like the old Big East. Don’t forget baseball was better off in the AAC.
What are you talking about? We’d be exactly the same as we are. Randy couldn’t win any games. The change that was needed has been made. Now we’ll win games.

Reaction Score

I think you have it backwards: basketball players from the East Coast (i.e. our recruiting hotbeds) and our fans wanted nothing to do with the AAC and EVERYTHING to do with the Big East.

Football started degrading after RE-1 left and tanked over the past 5 or so years and our football fans wanted nothing to do with the AAC and would rather sign up for schedule with some of our traditional rivals (from the Big East football conference and other geographic rivals) and some national names/pay day games.

We applied for the Big12 expansion charade and learned that we weren't viewed favorably enough.

So our only hope to resurrect/protect basketball and give the football fans and its program a chance to re-boot, was to go independent which if done correctly could position us to be attractive enough to the P5 in the future.

It's become pretty clear that staying in the AAC was a death spiral on so many levels because the top AAC football schools were going to jump ship and leave us with the leftovers and the handful of schools brought in as back-fills for the departed (i.e. Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF).

I think almost everyone now agrees that we're so thankful to have left the AAC when we did (though many of us were calling for it a few years before it happened).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom