Does this push ND to join a conf? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does this push ND to join a conf?

Reaction Score
Is he supposed to stay there for life? God forbid someone makes a career change, especially with a giant amount of money involved.
Or he wants a new challenge - it happens. LSU will admit anyone - Notre Dame won’t - will be interesting to see what Kelly can do at LSU. He has been a winner everywhere he has coached.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame joins a conference,it loses what make it special.

Remember when Miami football left the Big East. They haven't been relevant since. Neither has FSU. The move made them both irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I've never ever believed that ND would join a conference.

BUT, when another school can lure your HC away, you know you're no longer top dog. I presume Kelly is leaving for more $. I had been surprised to learn that ND's contract with NBC is not that lucrative. Does this tip some alums to be in favor of a conference?

Probably not. But gonna be a lot of soul searching in So Bend in the weeks ahead.
No. Conference affiliation had nothing to do with it, money did. LSU is going to pay Kelly nearly $15 million a year.

Being in a conference did not save Oklahoma from having its head coach poached as well, did it?

Everyone associated with ND knows about the NBC contract (to be renewed in 2025) and has for quite some time.

The NBC deal is more about exposure as an independent than the money. It just has to be enough money, ND is less dependent on TV money than most schools. Donor money dwarfs that at ND. The big donors often threaten to withhold money if ND drops independence.

ND was paying Kelly $7 million a year on a contract just extended and was to run for three more years.

Kelly had been flirting with other jobs since 2012. ND wasn't going to double his pay after just negotiating/extending his contract.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is no longer independent. It has to play 5 ACC games a year and has a bowl tie ins via the ACC. Of course it has its own unique status but it is no longer purely independent.

Reaction Score
I’ve had lots of contact with LSU—been to games, tailgates, practices—and have to agree with Giddyup that Kelly’s an odd cultural and personality fit. I’m friends with several boosters who’ve been chummy with several former coaches during their tenures. Last night I asked whether they were pleased or puzzled by the choice of Kelly. The answers were mostly he’s now my coach and has my full support. One said “ Not sure yet but try to imagine Ed Ogeron fitting in in South Bend. “

Reaction Score
No. Conference affiliation had nothing to do with it, money did. LSU is going to pay Kelly nearly $15 million a year.
You misunderstood. I never said his leaving was a result of conference affiliation; but it is (partially) a result of the money that comes with the conference. ND is no longer the biggest, richest school. And that was one reason they lost their coach, an unthinkable event even 10 years ago.

So my question is, now that they're getting outbid for a coach, do they have enough $$ to keep up with the Joneses. And if they don't, do they feel a need to make a change?

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but then why did their coach just leave for more money?
I don’t think money was the big factor. I think kelly wants access to better athletes that are more readily available in the SEC which will give him a better opportunity to win a national championship

Reaction Score
93, 99, 13 please list FSU's 5 other national championships.
5 are unclaimed, which means they were given by some ranking agency that even FSU thought it would make them look stupid to accept, so they didn't.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
5 are unclaimed, which means they were given by some ranking agency that even FSU thought it would make them look stupid to accept, so they didn't.
And 93 was a sham. Same record as ND and lost to the Irish head to head, I was at the game in South Bend. #1 vs. #3. It was the de facto NC game.

Reaction Score
Anytime I think of Louisiana I think of this clip. It's not the heat, it's the humidity. I don't think I could take it down there, growing up in New England.

Reaction Score
And 93 was sham. Same record as ND and lost to the Irish head to head, I was at the game in South Bend. #1 vs. #3. It was the de facto NC game.
Yeah, have to admit, stuff back in the day was horrible when it came to the NC. Even though it is not the best system yet, having the playoffs attempts to better clarify a winner. Expanding them should help even more.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Let's hope Kelly can coach at LSU without killing anyone

I was just about to post myself....at least at LSU he can kill a student manager or two each year and not have to worry about any media push back as long as they are in the SEC Championship game.:eek:

Reaction Score
I don’t think money was the big factor. I think kelly wants access to better athletes that are more readily available in the SEC which will give him a better opportunity to win a national championship

Reaction Score
I was just about to post myself....at least at LSU he can kill a student manager or two each year and not have to worry about any media push back as long as they are in the SEC Championship game.:eek:
You left out covering up a rape and other assaults by FB players.

Reaction Score
ND has become a national joke every time it gets into the CFP. They generally have 1 or 2 tough games per season. This year they missed playing MI and MSU. They almost lost to VA Tech.

Yeah the old alums care about independence and mystique, but I bet they also care that ND has not won a championship in a very long time and that they have been perpetual under performers in the post season. A conference may give them an easier path to the playoff and if conferences expand their schedules to include 1 more in league game, their path gets even tougher as an independent. Fewer major game options every year for an independent that will have playoff implications. They only had one this year and they lost it.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Being in a conference did not save Oklahoma from having its head coach poached as well, did it?

Everyone associated with ND knows about the NBC contract (to be renewed in 2025) and has for quite some time.

The NBC deal is more about exposure as an independent than the money. It just has to be enough money, ND is less dependent on TV money than most schools. Donor money dwarfs that at ND. The big donors often threaten to withhold money if ND drops independence.

ND was paying Kelly $7 million a year on a contract just extended and was to run for three more years.

Kelly had been flirting with other jobs since 2012. ND wasn't going to double his pay after just negotiating/extending his contract.
ND has become a national joke every time it gets into the CFP. They generally have 1 or 2 tough games per season. This year they missed playing MI and MSU. They almost lost to VA Tech.

Yeah the old alums care about independence and mystique, but I bet they also care that ND has not won a championship in a very long time and that they have been perpetual under performers in the post season. A conference may give them an easier path to the playoff and if conferences expand their schedules to include 1 more in league game, their path gets even tougher as an independent. Fewer major game options every year for an independent that will have playoff implications. They only had one this year and they lost it.
I hate ND. After cheering for UCONN my next favorite thing to do in college sports is cheer for whoever is playing ND. The best part about them is that they are on the slide to irrelevance in football. Conference has nothing to do with it. The best players will not play there when there are more attractive options. Plus, we beat them on their home field.

Reaction Score
I’ve had lots of contact with LSU—been to games, tailgates, practices—and have to agree with Giddyup that Kelly’s an odd cultural and personality fit. I’m friends with several boosters who’ve been chummy with several former coaches during their tenures. Last night I asked whether they were pleased or puzzled by the choice of Kelly. The answers were mostly he’s now my coach and has my full support. One said “ Not sure yet but try to imagine Ed Ogeron fitting in in South Bend. “
Geaux Irish.

Reaction Score
If Cincinnati wins and makes the playoffs it will obviously come at the expense of a power five blue blood. Then there will be incentive from the power five to increase the playoff likely to 12 teams. If that happens Notre Dame will remain independent forever.

Reaction Score
Or he wants a new challenge - it happens. LSU will admit anyone - Notre Dame won’t - will be interesting to see what Kelly can do at LSU. He has been a winner everywhere he has coached.
He wants more money, this stuff isn't confusing. He will make 9.5 million per year over 10 years in salary at LSU, Lincoln Riley will probably be making even more at USC. Kelly was making something like 2.7 million in salary at ND.

Reaction Score
ND is $loaded so I'm not sure conference payout is that big a factor. The Big 12 would be a consideration if it were looking for an easier road to the playoffs.

LOL. Just as a matter of academic perception, there is zero chance ND would want to go to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If Cincinnati wins and makes the playoffs it will obviously come at the expense of a power five blue blood. Then there will be incentive from the power five to increase the playoff likely to 12 teams. If that happens Notre Dame will remain independent forever.
Until 4 SEC teams including 2 with one more loss than ND get in over ND due to strength of schedule or because they lost in the championship game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom