Does this push ND to join a conf? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Does this push ND to join a conf?

Reaction Score
Maybe ND wants to give on of its former up and comers with a Broyles award a fresh chance?

Reaction Score
Just shows what’s important and to whom. He has more $$ than he knows what to do with, but more money is better I suppose if you stand for nothing else.
He wants to win a national championship or three. That may be all that is driving him right now. It was not happening at ND. He had his chances but he could not get it done there.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame joins a conference,it loses what make it special.

Remember when Miami football left the Big East. They haven't been relevant since. Neither has FSU. The move made them both irrelevant.

Beg to differ.

The Notre Dame lore is about its winning tradition, not about being independent. They have some great rivalries, but they can continue to play Michigan, USC and a third rival if they joined the ACC, they already have a part time ACC schedule as is so their schedule wouldn't change too much. Nothing is lost if they no longer play Navy.

The famous quote is "Win one for the Gipper" not "stay independent for the Gipper"

You would be right if ND annually played an old Big East like cupcake schedule to finish undefeated and earn a bid, but to their credit they don't do that.

Even as an independent they have had downward swoons when they were poorly coached. (Weiss, Faust and others)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least Randy finished the season out before he bailed on UCONN.
If only he bailed! That way we would have had a UConn man coaching UConn instead of a Maryland man just waiting for the game to end.

Reaction Score
Anytime I think of Louisiana I think of this clip. It's not the heat, it's the humidity. I don't think I could take it down there, growing up in New England.

100% When I first moved there in August from undergrad up here I literally thought I walked into hell on earth. You can walk around at 10:00 at night and sweat is pouring out of you. But after a good few months you adjust.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The head of the CFP committee said that Brian Kelly not being there would impact their final playoff ranking lmao this dude is gonna cost his former players a potential playoff spot just so he can go 8-4 in the SEC. Absolute scumbag.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yeah, have to admit, stuff back in the day was horrible when it came to the NC. Even though it is not the best system yet, having the playoffs attempts to better clarify a winner. Expanding them should help even more.
Yeah it was a shameless beauty contest. One can only hope for a somewhat inclusive expansion.

Reaction Score
I don’t think money was the big factor. I think kelly wants access to better athletes that are more readily available in the SEC which will give him a better opportunity to win a national championship
Lol. Doubling his salary? Yeah the money played a small part.

Reaction Score
Do you think that they would have, or even that they could have?
ND could have, but would not have.

Kelly flirted with other jobs since 2012. ND stuck with him after the 4-8 2015 debacle.

They just renewed his contract last year and gave him a big raise. He was making $7 million a year at ND.

ND is relatively cheap with coaches' salaries. I don't think Swarbrick would have matched LSU's offer.

Reaction Score
Just shows what’s important and to whom. He has more $$ than he knows what to do with, but more money is better I suppose if you stand for nothing else.
I don't get this. These universities have no loyalty to their coaches and fire them on a rotating basis once the boosters and fans get restless over some losses. Kelly is only secure at ND to the extent that he is in the playoff system just about every season. Absent that, the University will send him packing. The universities have no one to blame but themselves for this. They show no loyalty or patience. Consequently, the coaches want and get contracts with big guaranteed money.

This is pure speculation on my part, but it would not surprise me if ND is treading into NIL much more cautiously than LSU and the other SEC programs. Kelly is a smart guy and I have to believe he wants to be somewhere that can attract the best talent. I can only imagine the money that a place like LSU will throw at these kids.

Make no mistake about it, college football at this level is about one thing and on thing only......MONEY!

Reaction Score
Why is the ACC the only conference they would be able to join?
It's a clause that allows them the partial FB that other sports are ACC, if they ever join a conference, it has to be the ACC

Reaction Score
I like what Kelly did while he was there. He showed that ND is just a greedy and corrupt as any SEC team.
Are you saying they should be considered Notre Shame ? :eek: ;)
I will be very surprised if he is successful there. No sympathy for Kelly or ND here. I'll give him a internet fist bump though for kicking ND in the footballs while being the man he is.
Brian Kelly ....
Thanks Thank You GIF by Chippy the Dog

Reaction Score
From last year's reports, ND was still #6 in the nation in revenues.

ND had just renewed his contract for like the fourth time last year.

Jack Swarbrick said today that Kelly did not ask him to match LSU's offer.

To answer your question, ND is not going to make a change.
You and Texas Money well spent

Reaction Score
You and Texas Money well spent
Compare and contrast the records of the two schools the last five or last ten years.

P.S. Marcus Freeman will be named ND's head coach, probably by tomorrow.

Reaction Score
No chance this pushes them to join a conference. They can make their own schedule go undefeated and be included in the playoffs.

Well said. Plus ND does not have to share any of the money that they bring in from all of their endorsements. ND can enjoy the Independent status as long as they want to.

Reaction Score
Aren’t they in the ACC?? Kelly left for SEC, he will win in 2 years
They get a cut of the ACC deal as a basketball member.
Forget their football media deal it’s probably the less than any P5 conference.
However the media deal makes up only a minority % of their athletic revenue.
The last I looked the media deal was a paltry $15,000,000 for football.
other revenue accounted for over $100,000,000 additional
Their athletic department profit was $76,000,000 .
Those are 2019 pre Covid numbers.
Despite their media deal they’re in the top 5 most profitable schools.

Reaction Score
The B12 should make a run at Notre Dame.

Offer ND the same sweetheart deal they gave Texas. The B12 would give Notre Dame an easy path to the proposed 12 team playoff which might be appealing to them. Given that it would already have an easy conference path to the playoff ND could use the four non-conference games to play its traditional rivals (Michigan, Stanford, USC, Navy)
Maybe UCONN could join the B12 with ND if we agreed to always play them at Yankee Stadium for our home game. (ND is huge in NYC)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Offer ND the same sweetheart deal they gave Texas. The B12 would give Notre Dame an easy path to the proposed 12 team playoff which might be appealing to them. Given that it would already have an easy conference path to the playoff ND could use the four non-conference games to play its traditional rivals (Michigan, Stanford, USC, Navy)
Maybe UCONN could join the B12 with ND if we agreed to always play them at Yankee Stadium for our home game. (ND is huge in NYC)
Make that the Meadowlands. Irish alums in the NYC area could fill Yankee Stadium by themselves. If you are UConn, go where you can sell the most tickets. AND, it IS a football venue, not a converted baseball park. (This coming from a faithful member of the Pinstripe Evil Empire)

Reaction Score

Not going to happen (Notre Dame or UCONN to Big 12)

Remember, Dave Benedict is just thrilled to be in the Big East and has no intention of leaving. (His words, not mine)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom