Does this change your ranking? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does this change your ranking?

Reaction Score
Massey uses previous years stats until a team hits 10 games, which is about now this year. And the lack of inter-conference opponents may reduce the predictability of Massey, something they have done very well over the years. As for humans and what they know or think they know ??? History is filled with tragedies due to "what humans knew".

The polls start the year as a 100% subjective opinion and once the pecking order is established preseason a team moves slowly up or down, because voters are reluctant to admit they were dead wrong about a team they started at 10th so that team stays on the ranked list while teams left off in preseason don't climb unless the teams ahead lose.
This is a crazy season and teams seem to be playing very inconsistently. Stanford has been living in hotels for a month now. That has to be a strain.
The teams that can keep their focus and peak late will be there. Who they are is another question at this point.
Massey is usually much more reliable than this year. However, the start with the previous year’s stats is a flaw. Human pollsters know when 3 first rounders have moved on and adjust according to what they see in the pipeline.

massey’s algorithms are more unreliable In this crazier year than normal especially regarding the PAC. To start with, we don’t really know how good the conference was at the end of last year because there was no tournament. Second, the PAC has played only one team OOC that is higher ranked than about number 60 and the remainder are ranked below 100. Yet, the computer keeps them at super high SOS.

not saying Massey is a bad system but it is worthless this year regarding the PAC.

I did prefer the briefly used football BCS system that combined Massey with the polls. A balance of humans and algorithms seems the best TO ME.

Reaction Score
I am hoping for next year that no other team is capable of being within 10 points, and 90% of opponents are defeated by 20+ points.
if all the current players return and UConn adds the recruiting class as signed it's going to be difficult for any team not named Oregon, South Carolina or Stanford to stay on the same court with next year's team........

Reaction Score
Interesting that some of the folks offering up the strongest criticism of the team are the ones saying UConn is top 3.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arkansas will be a big resume boost too assuming UCONN wins and Arkansas doesn't completely tank.
I've been ripping on Arkansas all season, but now I guess I should be glad they're so overrated (and I better not end up with egg on my face) :D :cool:

Reaction Score
I thought they were one of the top 4 teams in the country before Tenn, but after the last 2 games, I would put them in the #5 thru #8 group. Its clear, this team will only go so far as Paige takes them. ONO & CW are what they are - wildly inconsistent & soft. EW is consistent, but she's more a Robin than a Batman. The depth that I thought they had, has all but disappeared. They just lack the size & physical presence to win 3 tough games in a row from E8 to Title game. I hate using the term "soft", but thats exactly what they seem against the bigger, better teams. But, they have shot at #12 if they get the breaks.

Reaction Score
I thought they were one of the top 4 teams in the country before Tenn, but after the last 2 games, I would put them in the #5 thru #8 group. Its clear, this team will only go so far as Paige takes them. ONO & CW are what they are - wildly inconsistent & soft. EW is consistent, but she's more a Robin than a Batman. The depth that I thought they had, has all but disappeared. They just lack the size & physical presence to win 3 tough games in a row from E8 to Title game. I hate using the term "soft", but thats exactly what they seem against the bigger, better teams. But, they have shot at #12 if they get the breaks.
Taurasi led a far less talented team to a championship her senior year. Don’t know if a freshman Bueckers can do the same, but wouldn’t say it’s impossible.

Reaction Score
Nope. Neither up nor down. I rank teams 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. Then, I consider teams that have a shot of cracking that top 16. Tenn is a team that has a shot at cracking that Top 16.

I have UConn in the 1-4 category until they lose. SCar, Louisville and NC State round out the top 4. Stanford I have in the 5-8 category because they have played nobody outside their own conference and none of their conference mates have played anybody outside the conference.

UConn played a decent team and struggled a bit after a long layoff. Not unexpected. Unlike Stanford, they have proven that they can beat a decent team outside their conference. The same goes for one loss SCar that has beaten a number of decent teams in and out of conference.
The problem with this analysis is that Stanford doesn’t have to go out of conference to have quality competition. Sorry, but if UConn were in PAC-12, they’d have at least one, if not two losses.

Reaction Score
Taurasi led a far less talented team to a championship her senior year.
Maria Conlon, Ashley Battle, Morgan Valley, Ann Strother, Barb Turner, Willnet Crockett, and Jessica Moore are far less talented than this year's team (- Paige) ?

Reaction Score
They are worse because of their injuries to Paige and Anna. Until they come back and show they are healthy then they are worse.

The victory by itself was very impressive:

They have had no rhythm this season while the other team got 3 more games in. Played away from home with basically a new team from last year in which their star player 1st time in a big nat'l game on tv shot as bad as she could possibly shoot while being hurt late in which they were starting to pull away while Liv gave them nothing offensively (maybe that can be expected? But I doubt it.). In addition Anna might've been hurt - and might've been hurt for quite some time, and yet they still won against a pretty good team.

Reaction Score
The problem with this analysis is that Stanford doesn’t have to go out of conference to have quality competition. Sorry, but if UConn were in PAC-12, they’d have at least one, if not two losses.

I doubt this very much unless you are counting today's game with no Paige and no Anna.

Reaction Score
I doubt this very much unless you are counting today's game with no Paige and no Anna.
No doubt about it, just look at the number of ranked teams in PAC-12, plus unranked teams capable of taking down a No. 1 team, as Colorado, a good but very, maddeningly so, inconsistent team, did. Tennesse, ranked 25, nearly beat UConn. In the NFL the line is on any given Sunday, in the PAC-12 it’s a daily possibility. And don’t forget how Oregon took UConn to the cleaners last year.

Reaction Score

I don’t really disagree about one loss but . . .

you say that the PAC has quality competition and I agree to some extent BUT how good? We don’t know because they haven’t played a single tournament quality team outside their conference in over a full year. Not one! BYU (Massey #66) is the highest ranked OOC opponent for the entire conference this year.

yes, I think UConn would probably have a crap night loss per year if they played in ANY power 5 conference due to the grind of playing against higher quality talent night after night during the meat portion of their schedule. Farts happen. Historically, UCONN might have a less gaudy record throughout Geno’s reign but would probably have as many rings. This year, we don’t really know how good UConn is due to loss of the Baylor and Louisville games.

discussing with you. Not arguing against you.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that Colorado team should be top 10!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No doubt about it, just look at the number of ranked teams in PAC-12, plus unranked teams capable of taking down a No. 1 team, as Colorado, a good but very, maddeningly so, inconsistent team, did. Tennesse, ranked 25, nearly beat UConn. In the NFL the line is on any given Sunday, in the PAC-12 it’s a daily possibility. And don’t forget how Oregon took UConn to the cleaners last year.

So Stanford lost to Colorado, ranked 50, but it was close and UConn beat Tenn, ranked 25 and it too was close so you conclude that Stanford is the better team because wins and losses are meaningless and all that matters is the strength of the conference?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont know if any team is prepared to play this season. We are seeing what is happening under these circumstances. Its not normal conditions. No fans, quarantines which result in no practice, scheudules being made up because of postponements so more time off with postponements as well as cancellations. I dont think any teams are ready as they should be at this point in the season. It almost seems like most of the top teams can be beat by lesser teams and its beginning to show. If you cant practice and dont play games on a regular basis your not gonna play up to you potential

Reaction Score

You're reasoning I think extremely off-base. As Alydar points out Tennessee rated higher rated and you are sort of knocking UCONN for winning - despite the fact btw UCONN was up by nine before their best player had to leave the floor all-the-while you're desperately trying to build up Colorado? Exaggerate Colorado all you want. The same Colorado that got beat by the mighty Denver Pioneers.

And then the fact you are trying to bring up last year as if it has any meaning? I don't agree with what you are trying to sell here. I think you are highly exaggerating. :) Yes UCONN could have lost one game - any night UCONN can lose against a quality team but it was your tone that I replied to. And imo you showed your true colors (which is fine. IMO you have a bias as we all do to some degree.) by mentioning Colorado while minimizing the Tenn win, while bring up last year- as if last year has any meaning. It is mind-boggling that you brought up last year.

Reaction Score
So Stanford lost to Colorado, ranked 50, but it was close and UConn beat Tenn, ranked 25 and it too was close so you conclude that Stanford is the better team because wins and losses are meaningless and all that matters is the strength of the conference?
Tennessee is better than #25 in my mind and many other analysts agree. They are also destroying Kentucky

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
South Carolina barely beat LSU a team that is rated #65 by Massey. Tennessee is crushing a Kentucky a team that is rated above them by Massey. Louisville is barely beat a team that is rated #43 by Massey. Standford lost to Colorado a team that was rated #49 at the time of the loss. While UConn has had only one game that was won by less than 10 points, on the road against the 25th ranked team, rated #17 by Massey. Their average victory margin over the 10 games is 35.6 points and people on this thread are screaming the world is coming to an end because we have had some sloppy games. Yes this isn't a typical year with the postponements and cancellations, but they have so far survived and beaten all opponents. Will they lose a game, maybe, but that won't be the end of the world or even the season unless the loss is in the NCAA tournament. I'm thankful that there is a season, that I get to see UConn play, where I I'm allowed to submerge myself in watching these young ladies grow as team as well as a person. Every team out there that is playing has flaws, so I will sit back, watch the Huskies, and pray that they get to play all the games left on the schedule and go on to win #12. If I come across as being a little upset, I want you all to know that our Son who is considered an essential worker tested positive yesterday, currently he has no symptoms, feeling fine, and is self quarantined at his home for the next 10 days.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're reasoning I think extremely off-base. As Alydar points out Tennessee rated higher rated and you are sort of knocking UCONN for winning - despite the fact btw UCONN was up by nine before their best player had to leave the floor all-the-while you're desperately trying to build up Colorado? Exaggerate Colorado all you want. The same Colorado that got beat by the mighty Denver Pioneers.

And then the fact you are trying to bring up last year as if it has any meaning? I don't agree with what you are trying to sell here. I think you are highly exaggerating. :) Yes UCONN could have lost one game - any night UCONN can lose against a quality team but it was your tone that I replied to. And imo you showed your true colors (which is fine. IMO you have a bias as we all do to some degree.) by mentioning Colorado while minimizing the Tenn win, while bring up last year- as if last year has any meaning. It is mind-boggling that you brought up last year.

Throw out the record books when Denver faces Colorado.... its a rivalry game.

Reaction Score
South Carolina barely beat LSU a team that is rated #65 by Massey. Tennessee is crushing a Kentucky a team that is rated above them by Massey. Louisville is barely beat a team that is rated #43 by Massey. Standford lost to Colorado a team that was rated #49 at the time of the loss. While UConn has had only one game that was won by less than 10 points, on the road against the 25th ranked team, rated #17 by Massey. Their average victory margin over the 10 games is 35.6 points and people on this thread are screaming the world is coming to an end because we have had some sloppy games. Yes this isn't a typical year with the postponements and cancellations, but they have so far survived and beaten all opponents. Will they lose a game, maybe, but that won't be the end of the world or even the season unless the loss is in the NCAA tournament. I'm thankful that there is a season, that I get to see UConn play, where I I'm allowed to submerge myself in watching these young ladies grow as team as well as a person. Every team out there that is playing has flaws, so I will sit back, watch the Huskies, and pray that they get to play all the games left on the schedule and go on to win #12. If I come across as being a little upset, I want you all to know that our Son who is considered an essential worker tested positive yesterday, currently he has no symptoms, feeling fine, and is self quarantined at his home for the next 10 days.

Hope for speedy recovery for your son, although 3/4 of your post deserves a "like"....didn't see it appropriate to hit the like button on this.

Reaction Score
Throw out the record books when Denver faces Colorado.... its a rivalry game.

Years ago on the men's side in Jim Calhoun's 1st few years one game we were at Hartford Civic Center and we beat Hartford in a thriller. When we were NIT type team - we said the same thing apparently you are suggesting Colorado is saying now-- "throw out the record books."

We saw what subsequently happened afterwards. UCONN became a Nat'l Power and Hartford was / remained - Hartford.

So yeah throw out the record books- Colorado is still Colorado like UCONN was way back when they struggled to beat Hartford. That's the problem for Colorado. Denver is still a rival and yet it shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Massey is usually much more reliable than this year. However, the start with the previous year’s stats is a flaw. Human pollsters know when 3 first rounders have moved on and adjust according to what they see in the pipeline.

massey’s algorithms are more unreliable In this crazier year than normal especially regarding the PAC. To start with, we don’t really know how good the conference was at the end of last year because there was no tournament. Second, the PAC has played only one team OOC that is higher ranked than about number 60 and the remainder are ranked below 100. Yet, the computer keeps them at super high SOS.

not saying Massey is a bad system but it is worthless this year regarding the PAC.

I did prefer the briefly used football BCS system that combined Massey with the polls. A balance of humans and algorithms seems the best TO ME.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t really disagree about one loss but . . .

you say that the PAC has quality competition and I agree to some extent BUT how good? We don’t know because they haven’t played a single tournament quality team outside their conference in over a full year. Not one! BYU (Massey #66) is the highest ranked OOC opponent for the entire conference this year.

yes, I think UConn would probably have a crap night loss per year if they played in ANY power 5 conference due to the grind of playing against higher quality talent night after night during the meat portion of their schedule. Farts happen. Historically, UCONN might have a less gaudy record throughout Geno’s reign but would probably have as many rings. This year, we don’t really know how good UConn is due to loss of the Baylor and Louisville games.

discussing with you. Not arguing against you.
If you’re looking at UConn’s history, the Big East before the breakup was a powerful conference. Norte Dame, Louisville, Rutgers (in the good old days), Syracuse, St John’s, et al. it was a rock fight every night and for a couple years there were Home and homes with Pat Summit-led Tennessee yet UConn had two triple digit win streaks.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So today LVille almost lost to a non top 25 tea. SC almost lost to unranked LSU. UConn beat number 25 Tenn at Tenn. Stanford lost 2 straight. So what does that say about the rankings Hey I still have UConn number 1.

Reaction Score
Great comments MSGRET. I share your feelings 100%.

Best wishes to your son for a complete recovery. I am confident that he is strong enough and positive enough(like you) to get through this. Please thank him for the difficult work he does and keep us posted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom