Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First, computers are for the birds. Look at Sagarin. Second, ND had a tough, great schedule this year. They deserve to be there. I thought we were talking about ND in the future. ND's recent history is weak weak schedules.

Michigan and USC are tough each year. Sometimes Michigan St. is tough. Outside of that, they schedule weak teams. This is not a SEC, Big12 and Big10 type schedule. This year they added Oklahoma and played a good Stanford team. That made for a very tough sched. Usually, there is no extra Oklahoma, and until the last 2 or 3 years, Stanford has been awful.

Ok computers are for the birds.

Notre Dame played 10 BCS teams. Their non BCS games were BYU and Navy.

When you play @USC, @Oklahoma, Miami at a neutral site, Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, BYU...

Only delusional biased fans of another program could possibly denigrate that schedule. It's not up to Notre Dame to require that Boston College and Purdue put credible teams on the field.

Reaction Score
We have to go to B1G fanbase message boards and sell ourselves. I've already started at scout.com and there have been interesting responses. Michigan fans, how many actually graduated from the school??

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2364[/quote]
there's only 10,000 threads... just so I don't have to check every one, is there a particular thread that you could point out in which Uconn is discussed?

Reaction Score
I wish!!! Unfortunately the whole point of the Catholics voting to dissolve the conference is a way for them to get out of exit fees. If they leave after SMU, Memphis et al join, then they'd have to pay up.
but who gets the pile of cash that the BE has collected from, Pitt, Syr, UofL, Rutgers, WVU, and Uconn (just kidding, but wouldn't that be a nice issue to discuss on this board)...

Reaction Score
Ok computers are for the birds.

Notre Dame played 10 BCS teams. Their non BCS games were BYU and Navy.

When you play @USC, @Oklahoma, Miami at a neutral site, Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, BYU...

Only delusional biased fans of another program could possibly denigrate that schedule. It's not up to Notre Dame to require that Boston College and Purdue put credible teams on the field.

Absurd response to what I wrote.

Idiocy at its best.

Next time I won't give credit to ND for a tough schedule, just because you like to counter everything I write. I'll write that ND's schedule was easy so you can credit me with writing that it was tough.

And some day you'll crawl out of the rabbit hole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Idiocy at its best.

Next time I won't give credit to ND for a tough schedule, just because you like to counter everything I write. I'll write that ND's schedule was easy so you can credit me with writing that it was tough.

Don't you two realize you agree?

Reaction Score
there's only 10,000 threads... just so I don't have to check every one, is there a particular thread that you could point out in which Uconn is discussed?
Create one. I posted about UConn in one thread and no one responded as if it is not possible. Join posts that are going.

Reaction Score

Ths was buried in a thread last night where it may have gotten lost:

>>"My apologies if this has been posted but I read some encouraging chatter in the OSU board. Two posters (KyleSLamb and BurdsEye) were making well presented cases to at least include us in the B1G expansion discussion. They were pretty effective actually among your usual "Oh please god not UCONN!" or "what do they bring?" The two posters answered them in a very factual and measured way. I enjoyed the read. Look for the "Keep an eye on....UCONN" heading. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=89

Again, sorry if it's been posted.

TheRogers, Yesterday at 10:56 PM Report#38UnlikeReply"<<

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

>>"My apologies if this has been posted but I read some encouraging chatter in the OSU board. Two posters (KyleSLamb and BurdsEye) were making well presented cases to at least include us in the B1G expansion discussion. They were pretty effective actually among your usual "Oh please god not UCONN!" or "what do they bring?" The two posters answered them in a very factual and measured way. I enjoyed the read. Look for the "Keep an eye on....UCONN" heading. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=89

There's some good nuggets of truth in that thread sprinkled liberally with ignorance... but these are the challenges we face today.

Reaction Score
There is kyleslamb on this board, too. One in the same? Kyle?

Reaction Score
thanks for posting that medic. I feel better reading that thread than our own board. Go figure.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hmmm. I looked up @kyleslamb on twitter, that seems to be a different Kyle S. Lamb (or he just doesn't tweet about CR stuff)

Reaction Score
A couple keep mentioning B1G insiders (one named Nevada) posting on their premium board who say there isn't a chance in hell UConn gets in (same for BC and Cuse). This has been repeated by insiders in many different places.

That being said, Louisville joining the ACC and Rutgers joining the B1G was similarly laughed at just recently, and denied by such insiders. Do I think that means anything? No. But, to quote the great Jim Calhoun, "Never Say Never." I think even Fishy wouldn't go that far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Idiocy at its best.

Right. They historically have played one of the most difficult schedules in the country. They currently have one of the most difficult schedules in the country. They will continue to play one of the most difficult schedules in the country.

Reaction Score
Right. They historically have played one of the most difficult schedules in the country. They currently have one of the most difficult schedules in the country. They will continue to play one of the most difficult schedules in the country.

Last couple decades one of the weakest. And this year they added two really good BCS schools to make it one of the most difficult. Stanford is not going to maintain this level. They'll revert soon to Stanford historically, and then once again, ND will have a half conference sched. + USC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And the guy in your poster persecuted the lords followers.

Warde Manuel? ...oh wait, Nero? I'm sorry. I keep confusing the two for some reason.

CL82

Reaction Score
If we're the last team left in the BE, do we get all the exit fees? New stadium?
Ah, so there is a master plan. Herbst is a genius.

CL82

Reaction Score
Posted: 12/8/2012 11:02 AM
Re: Keep an eye on...UCONN

If we are taking only about football tradition, then yes there are other teams that fit better. If we are talking about which university might be the next addition based on a bigger, strategic picture, then UCONN is a reasonable choice. UCONN was also on B1G's radar two years ago.

- Academics - UCONN ranks higher than some B1G schools and continues to climb. Currently 63 in the US News & World Report rankings, recent reports suggest they will mover closer to being a top 50 national university in the coming years.

- Research - They are expanding investment in research at a fast rate and are building a $1.1B lab at a university facility. An AAU offer will be forthcoming in the next 1-3 years with or without a B1G invite.

- Rivalries - UCONN has natural regional rivalries with Maryland, Rutgers and ties to Penn State. They also have Michigan, Maryland and Virginia on their upcoming football schedules. In mens and women basketball they have history with many schools in the B1G.

- Revenue - Their athletics programs generated over $65M in revenue, which I believe ranks in the top 40 in the country. While not up there with Michigan and Ohio State, they rank higher than some B1G teams. Also, it's important to note that only 20% of that revenue comes from football (only Kansas generates a smaller percentage at 19%). This is more of an opportunity than a liability. Also, their Media rights deal accounts for only $3M-$4M annually, if they had a $17M deal on the books like the ACC, they would probably be in the top 25 in revenue. A B1G offer would grow that revenue substantially in the coming years.

- TV Market - Hartford is the 30th ranked market in the nation and UCONN gets a large chunk of the New York and Boston markets, which puts them on par with many larger markets. The New York Times lists UCONN is the fourth most popular college football team in New York City behind Rutgers, Notre Dame and Penn State. Their recent ratings on SNY cable are off the chart. Having no pro teams in Connecticut contributes to this. Also, there is a significant number of B!G Alumni in the New York/Boston area that would watch their teams compete on TV or at a live event. Lastly, UCONN is gaining traction with Fox's YES network (which has been tied to the B1G's Eastern expansion).

- Culturally - UCONN culture is closer to Wisconsin, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State than GT/FSU/Clemson.

- Football - UCONN doesn't have the tradition that B1G schools have, but in the last ten years they've gone to a 5 bowl games including the Fiesta, won a share of their conference twice, beat Notre Dame, South Carolina and others. A B1G invite would help in recruiting, both in terms of players and coaching. In addition, they are as competitive as some B1G teams including Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue (recently), Illinois, and Northwestern (generally). An Eastern division with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland UCONN, and Virginia would be competitive.

- Notre Dame - There's lots of reasons why UCONN was discussed as a package to the ACC with Notre Dame. Delaney realizes this. Notre Dame wants an East Coast presence, playing at UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland & Virginia would help provide that. Playing at Florida State or Georgia Tech, not so much.

- Basketball - UCONN is a national brand in basketball, both Mens and Women, and would elevate B1G basketball. They also have many rivalries with the B1G including Michigan State.

- Olympic Sports - UCONN competes at a high level in numerous sports including soccer (NC), field hockey (NC), baseball, hockey, etc.

- UCONN is a Land-Grant University

- It takes UCONN off the table as an academic/athletic/tv market contingency for the ACC

Lastly, I know the focus is on football, but if the B1G has the strongest financial footprint, it will continue to be relevant in football, even in smaller markets.

:)

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't know who burdseye is but I could hug 'em.

C'Mon....

burdseye is HFD, sober and all-cleaned up. My sources even tell me Warde commandeered the Men's BB academic advisor to proof read and spell check Dan 's work.

Reaction Score

Thanks for that post, great read I read another 10 pages after that.

What I learned from the thread after that: There are actually a couple pro UConn to B1G supporters and other than that the general concensus is that if the B1G was to go past 16 it could do much worse than UConn. After reading that post I'm generally much more optimistic than I have been recently after hearing the recent catholic schools dissolution rumors.

Edit: Oops some one posted it before I refreshed the page :\

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How the hell was this not trumpeted from the mountain tops the past month?

All we got was WM 'I think we're better but I'm biased'.

Come on, UConn.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Posted: 12/8/2012 11:02 AM
Re: Keep an eye on...UCONN

If we are taking only about football tradition, then yes there are other teams that fit better. If we are talking about which university might be the next addition based on a bigger, strategic picture, then UCONN is a reasonable choice. UCONN was also on B1G's radar two years ago.

- Academics - UCONN ranks higher than some B1G schools and continues to climb. Currently 63 in the US News & World Report rankings, recent reports suggest they will mover closer to being a top 50 national university in the coming years.

- Research - They are expanding investment in research at a fast rate and are building a $1.1B lab at a university facility. An AAU offer will be forthcoming in the next 1-3 years with or without a B1G invite.

- Rivalries - UCONN has natural regional rivalries with Maryland, Rutgers and ties to Penn State. They also have Michigan, Maryland and Virginia on their upcoming football schedules. In mens and women basketball they have history with many schools in the B1G.

- Revenue - Their athletics programs generated over $65M in revenue, which I believe ranks in the top 40 in the country. While not up there with Michigan and Ohio State, they rank higher than some B1G teams. Also, it's important to note that only 20% of that revenue comes from football (only Kansas generates a smaller percentage at 19%). This is more of an opportunity than a liability. Also, their Media rights deal accounts for only $3M-$4M annually, if they had a $17M deal on the books like the ACC, they would probably be in the top 25 in revenue. A B1G offer would grow that revenue substantially in the coming years.

- TV Market - Hartford is the 30th ranked market in the nation and UCONN gets a large chunk of the New York and Boston markets, which puts them on par with many larger markets. The New York Times lists UCONN is the fourth most popular college football team in New York City behind Rutgers, Notre Dame and Penn State. Their recent ratings on SNY cable are off the chart. Having no pro teams in Connecticut contributes to this. Also, there is a significant number of B!G Alumni in the New York/Boston area that would watch their teams compete on TV or at a live event. Lastly, UCONN is gaining traction with Fox's YES network (which has been tied to the B1G's Eastern expansion).

- Culturally - UCONN culture is closer to Wisconsin, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State than GT/FSU/Clemson.

- Football - UCONN doesn't have the tradition that B1G schools have, but in the last ten years they've gone to a 5 bowl games including the Fiesta, won a share of their conference twice, beat Notre Dame, South Carolina and others. A B1G invite would help in recruiting, both in terms of players and coaching. In addition, they are as competitive as some B1G teams including Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue (recently), Illinois, and Northwestern (generally). An Eastern division with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland UCONN, and Virginia would be competitive.

- Notre Dame - There's lots of reasons why UCONN was discussed as a package to the ACC with Notre Dame. Delaney realizes this. Notre Dame wants an East Coast presence, playing at UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland & Virginia would help provide that. Playing at Florida State or Georgia Tech, not so much.

- Basketball - UCONN is a national brand in basketball, both Mens and Women, and would elevate B1G basketball. They also have many rivalries with the B1G including Michigan State.

- Olympic Sports - UCONN competes at a high level in numerous sports including soccer (NC), field hockey (NC), baseball, hockey, etc.

- UCONN is a Land-Grant University

- It takes UCONN off the table as an academic/athletic/tv market contingency for the ACC

Lastly, I know the focus is on football, but if the B1G has the strongest financial footprint, it will continue to be relevant in football, even in smaller markets.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104