Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's the difference between getting an asset that you need now, that can make you money now. Or waiting, and adding that same asset at a later time when it has been potentially permanently devalued

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

I think some of you are overstating the importance of the money. If you look at our athletic department budget, it's around $60m, roughly the same as Clemson, WVU, Rutgers, Maryland, and the like. If you look up a level to those that spend in the $70m range you're looking at UNC, UVA, Indiana, Kansas and Illinois. $80m ADs include Kentucky, Nebraska, South Carolina, Louisville and Arkansas. Personally I don't see a huge difference between what product most of them put on the field. Obviously some are better than others, but I don't think the correlation between performance and money is as great as some people seem to think. Most of the schools that spend over $100m are top notch year in year out, but you also have exceptions like Tennessee. Iowa spends about $90m but you'll have a very hard time convincing me they have a more successful athletic department than WVU who spends 2/3 as much.

Obviously money helps, but aside from stadium expansion we've pretty much bought all of our toys already, so I don't think earning $15-20m less than Rutgers is necessarily going to be the death blow that some people seem to think it'll be. Besides, our revenue disadvantage shouldn't last for too long.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
UConn should just become the traveling gypsy team in football. We can remain in the Big East for all other sports, but we will be the 'fill-in' team for conferences. Ohio State on probation again????....Ok, then we take their spot in the B1G for one season. The next year...Auburn on probation again????...we are in the SEC for a year. Miami is suspended??? ACC.

We can just be the 'seat filler' for all of the big conferences going forward!:eek:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't get your question, really.

This isn't like the ACC has to pay UConn.

It's the difference between getting an asset that you need now, that can make you money now. Or waiting, and adding that same asset at a later time when it has been potentially permanently devalued.

There's no cost to you, the buyer. You get it now and have it add value, or you wait, and are forced to take that same product at a time when it adds less.

But they have to share their revenue pie with us, and they don't think we add as much to the pie as our slice consumes. They will hold slot #16 for ND for all eternity, or at least until the ND NBC contract is up. They do not believe that UConn is a realistic option for the B1G. They know that Cinci isn't. They probably assumed that the NNBE would keep us viable until they need us.

So here's how this could possibly help. The ACC needs a #15. UConn is literally the only choice left that isn't repulsive. They cannot allow us to become devalued. If the NBE disintegrates and we are MAC or CUSA bound, they might decide to pull the trigger.

Reaction Score

It's the difference between getting an asset that you need now, that can make you money now. Or waiting, and adding that same asset at a later time when it has been potentially permanently devalued.

There's no cost to you, the buyer. You get it now and have it add value, or you wait, and are forced to take that same product at a time when it adds less.

I had no question. I was just trying to make the theme of the thread sound like a TJ Maxx commercial. I think Delany should add us to this list of "finds": http://www.tjmaxx.com/category/maxx-finds/

Reaction Score
But they have to share their revenue pie with us, and they don't think we add as much to the pie as our slice consumes. They will hold slot #16 for ND for all eternity, or at least until the ND NBC contract is up. They do not believe that UConn is a realistic option for the B1G. They know that Cinci isn't. They probably assumed that the NNBE would keep us viable until they need us.
The B1G apparently believes otherwise. Had the ACC not up, the ACC would have been fun. But they royally up. They could have been the B1G/Pac-12 of the east coast.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have to go to B1G fanbase message boards and sell ourselves. I've already started at scout.com and there have been interesting responses. Michigan fans, how many actually graduated from the school??

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2364

Yeah that will do it!.. Bless you, you are doing the lords work.

Reaction Score

So here's how this could possibly help. The ACC needs a #15. UConn is literally the only choice left that isn't repulsive. They cannot allow us to become devalued. If the NBE disintegrates and we are MAC or CUSA bound, they might decide to pull the trigger.

ND is simply never going to join the ACC. They will lie, lie, lie to make it seem so because it allows them the preserve the very thing they most want: independence and easy schedules that land them in the playoffs.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Does MSG look to get out of the deal they have with the BE?

If the Big10 wants part of NE, they will want more than UNJ & MD.

If the ACC realizes that being the best hoop league is will what keep them relavant they may want to have more than Cuse, BC & Pitt. Adding a school within 150 miles miles of NYC & which is pretty good at hoops should interest them.

Does the BE hoop teams need UConn & Cincy to keep crediblity with MSG?

Hoping one or all of these hold some truth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We have to go to B1G fanbase message boards and sell ourselves. I've already started at scout.com and there have been interesting responses. Michigan fans, how many actually graduated from the school??

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2364
Yes because we all know that the decision makers at these universities are the rank and file members of their schools' message boards.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Whether you're serious or not, it worked for Maryland.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah that will do it!.. Bless you, you are doing the lords work.
And the guy in your poster persecuted the lords followers.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If we're the last team left in the BE, do we get all the exit fees? New stadium?
I wish!!! Unfortunately the whole point of the Catholics voting to dissolve the conference is a way for them to get out of exit fees. If they leave after SMU, Memphis et al join, then they'd have to pay up.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I thought about this in terms of the big 12. Acc and BiG are planting flags for NYC viewers with RU and SU. Tell the big 12, we will move one home game a year to met life stadium. They can showcase Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, whoever they like in NYC once a year.

Its a far fetched, but what theory on this board isn't?

You must not be on twitter...your theory is already in the works according to the Yoda:

Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda
Fun idea I heard, UConn to B12 & they agree to play 2 home games/year at MetLife Stadium (NYJ/NYG home). Networks would love NYC exposure.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You must not be on twitter...your theory is already in the works according to the Yoda:

Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda
Fun idea I heard, UConn to B12 & they agree to play 2 home games/year at MetLife Stadium (NYJ/NYG home). Networks would love NYC exposure.
oof. Talk about being out on an island. Anything is better than our current situation, but.... this would be real tough to swallow.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
oof. Talk about being out on an island. Anything is better than our current situation, but.... this would be real tough to swallow.

Presumably Yoda is just trying to keep up with Dude, but if this ever were offered, Herbst would accept in a NY minute...I dont see a down side to playing the likes of Texas at Met Life for a few years...it would serve in part to grow our fanbase, even if it meant diehards like us were slightly inconvenienced twice a year...

Reaction Score
Presumably Yoda is just trying to keep up with Dude, but if this ever were offered, Herbst would accept in a NY minute...I dont see a down side to playing the likes of Texas at Met Life for a few years...it would serve in part to grow our fanbase, even if it meant diehards like us were slightly inconvenienced twice a year...

image.jpg

But I'm in...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ND is simply never going to join the ACC. They will lie, lie, lie to make it seem so because it allows them the preserve the very thing they most want: independence and easy schedules that land them in the playoffs.

Yeah Notre Dame rode an easy schedule to NC game this year. They were number one in the computers from October because of their easy schedule.

Reaction Score

We could play Texas on the moon and I wouldn't be inconvenienced.

Reaction Score
Yeah Notre Dame rode an easy schedule to NC game this year. They were number one in the computers from October because of their easy schedule.

First, computers are for the birds. Look at Sagarin. Second, ND had a tough, great schedule this year. They deserve to be there. I thought we were talking about ND in the future. ND's recent history is weak weak schedules.

Michigan and USC are tough each year. Sometimes Michigan St. is tough. Outside of that, they schedule weak teams. This is not a SEC, Big12 and Big10 type schedule. This year they added Oklahoma and played a good Stanford team. That made for a very tough sched. Usually, there is no extra Oklahoma, and until the last 2 or 3 years, Stanford has been awful.

Reaction Score

I am seldom on Twitter. Two games would be a bit tough but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Reaction Score

what he's suggesting is that you can get Uconn and Cincy and probably pay them half a share each. Given the circustances, Uconn and Cincy may agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom