Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up? | The Boneyard

Does the Big East's instability actually make Connecticut a better pick up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Think about it. Any conference can now offer us pretty much any terms and we'd jump at them. Hey Delaney want to limit our B1G share to 5 million for 10 years? No problem, we're in. It seems like we are like a low p/e stock right now -a good pick up for the intelligent investor. Any takers out there? Anyone? Bueller?

Reaction Score
I thought about this in terms of the big 12. Acc and BiG are planting flags for NYC viewers with RU and SU. Tell the big 12, we will move one home game a year to met life stadium. They can showcase Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, whoever they like in NYC once a year.

Its a far fetched, but what theory on this board isn't?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I thought about this in terms of the big 12. Acc and BiG are planting flags for NYC viewers with RU and SU. Tell the big 12, we will move one home game a year to met life stadium. They can showcase Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, whoever they like in NYC once a year.

Any conference that wants TV revenue growth would be wise to invite UConn. We have footprints within NYC, Boston and our own CT market. I honestly have no idea how the we are sitting on the sidelines when schools with MUCH less to offer academically, athletically, and market wise are in super conferences. SO frustrating.

Reaction Score
No exit fee! No waiting period! Need annother team, we could be there by Monday. As compensation to BB schools, we will donate GDL to teach them the true art of playing zone

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

There is nobody in Big 12 country that gives a rat's ass about NYC. However, we certainly should agree to this with the B1G, who would value it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And Dairy Bar gift certificates for Christmas every year.

And speaking of that, how the heck is it possible that the DB doesn't have a stand at The Rent? That's just foolish.

I know. I posted something in the "Ideas Thread" that HFD started about this very thing. The vendors at the Rent need a facelift and having a Dairy Bar at the Rent would re-connect alum and the state with the campus. Seems like a pretty simple idea.

Reaction Score
The reality is, if they want UConn or Cincy (now the two best schools outside of the BCS 5) they need to work quickly before those schools fall so far behind that they won't significantly contribute.

Reaction Score
In an ideal world yes. ESPN is talking to hoop schools about tv contract, how do they secure that? by having ACC take 2 of the remaining 4 football schools. I can't imagine a scenario where we aren't one of the 2 schools. This forces B!G to put pressure on the 2 schools that they like in the ACC (UNC and UVA) if neither school bites they then refocus and go after 2 of 3 (Us, BC and Cuse). B!G then goes from Minnesota to Massachusetts and would control NYC (more than any other league), and every major city from DC north.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No.
Nothing helps UConn.

I wondered initially if free agency would entice an invite from someone but, I.came right back this. ^^^^

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We could offer to do everybody's laundry too.
Exactly. Now you are getting into the spirit of the thing. Laundry, car washes, lawn maintenance...whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
We can offer up GDL to Wall Paper all of the ACC/B1G President's houses with plays as a perk

Dooley

Reaction Score
If UConn could be any more desperate to get out of the Big East, the next few months should be quite something if the non-football schools dissolve. UConn would be in a position that they would probably agree to most terms offers from any conference to join. Hopefully, this will give some leverage to UConn and expedite the timetable for a UConn invite. If the B1G sees the vulnerable state of UConn and thinks the ACC will invite them soon (or vice versa), maybe we'll see some movement soon.

Or, we can pull up a chair, string up our violins and begin playing "Nearer my God to Thee" as the Big East Titanic sinks deep into the Atlantic.

Reaction Score
We can offer up GDL to Wall Paper all of the ACC/B1G President's houses with plays as a perk

Even more valuable to them: Will do everything in our power to get GDL hired as coach at MAC school.

Reaction Score
Even more valuable to them: Will do everything in our power to get GDL hired as coach at MAC school.

IDK about that, MHVer3 reports that the UMich president has an "inside handoff with 170 pound back" room that needs wallpapering, and GDL is reportedly the only guy who can do it

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's sad but true. Anyone knows that they would have us by the balls.

Reaction Score
The reality is, if they want UConn or Cincy (now the two best schools outside of the BCS 5) they need to work quickly before those schools fall so far behind that they won't significantly contribute.
Apparently MHVer3 is suggesting that this is an actual thought in ACC circles.

RIP my hopes--if MHVer3 says it, it's most likely won't happen.

Reaction Score

or Yankee Stadium or Citi Field (as they are usually done by October.)

Reaction Score
Apparently MHVer3 is suggesting that this is an actual thought in ACC circles.

RIP my hopes--if MHVer3 says it, it's most likely won't happen.
Which is exactly why I was so confused by the ACC's lone addition of Louisville. There is going to come a part (more than likely in the near future) where they are going to need to expand again. Before the "field" had been ripe for the picking and now not so much. Assuming they take any combination of Cinci and/or UConn, you'd be bringing in a school(s) that now feel like chopped liver whereas if all 3 were taken together (with ND still as 17 and yes I understand that makes bball scheduling grueling) you would have at least given them all something to be excited about.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly why I was so confused by the ACC's lone addition of Louisville. There is going to come a part (more than likely in the near future) where they are going to need to expand again. Before the "field" had been ripe for the picking and now not so much. Assuming they take any combination of Cinci and/or UConn, you'd be bringing in a school(s) that now feel like chopped liver whereas if all 3 were taken together (with ND still as 17 and yes I understand that makes bball scheduling grueling) you would have at least given them all something to be excited about.

ACC basically became the old BE. They think short term and react to everything. They don't think long term like the B1G or the SEC. Soon or later, they will be poached again and it is just a matter of time. The question for all UCONN fans is how long we have to stay in this state and wait for either B1G or the ACC? I hope it is the B1G and get this thing over with once and for all.

Reaction Score
UConn. Why pay retail?
I don't get your question, really.

This isn't like the ACC has to pay UConn.

It's the difference between getting an asset that you need now, that can make you money now. Or waiting, and adding that same asset at a later time when it has been potentially permanently devalued.

There's no cost to you, the buyer. You get it now and have it add value, or you wait, and are forced to take that same product at a time when it adds less.

U

UConn9604

If UConn could be any more desperate to get out of the Big East, the next few months should be quite something if the non-football schools dissolve. UConn would be in a position that they would probably agree to most terms offers from any conference to join. Hopefully, this will give some leverage to UConn and expedite the timetable for a UConn invite. If the B1G sees the vulnerable state of UConn and thinks the ACC will invite them soon (or vice versa), maybe we'll see some movement soon.

I wonder if this sort of "dead cat bounce" (and I really can't believe that I'm describing a school that has the best men's hoops team in Big East history and the best women's team of any kind in the history of college sports, and just sent a team to the Fiesta Bowl two years ago, as a "dead cat") can actually cause either the Big Ten or the ACC to act sooner?

Meaning, if they know that we'd take the very next offer as quickly as possible, even under unfavorable terms, why not low-ball us now and call our bluff?

Almost like refusing to buy a pair of shoes at Nordstrom's for full price, but elbowing someone out of the way to buy the same pair of shoes for 50% off on December 26.

Nah. On second thought, this is probably right:

No.
Nothing helps UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members