Does anyone know what Nate Miles is doing these days? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does anyone know what Nate Miles is doing these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can anyone speak specifically on the hardships he faced?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he grew up without either of his parents. Went to 6 different high schools and was probably being used by the person handling his basketball and decisions about his basketball playing. Had 2 kids with I believe 2 different women. I think he was pretty much homeless after being kicked out of UConn.

Im sure someone else can give a more detailed response. He never had anything in life, never had guidance, no parental figure and put his trut in people who used him in the hopes they could ride his coat tails when he made it in basketball. Toledo isn't the most glamorous place either.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he grew up without either of his parents. Went to 6 different high schools and was probably being used by the person handling his basketball and decisions about his basketball playing. Had 2 kids with I believe 2 different women. I think he was pretty much homeless after being kicked out of UConn.

Im sure someone else can give a more detailed response. He never had anything in life, never had guidance, no parental figure and put his trut in people who used him in the hopes they could ride his coat tails when he made it in basketball. Toledo isn't the most glamorous place either.

I believe he had lived in a car at one time with his sister, how long I'm unsure. His sister had a disease which needed treatment but they could not afford it, what it was I do not know. He needed to make money to care for her as that's all he had in his life. His story tore me up and I felt awful when they had to let him go. Jim Calhoun was the person he needed the most but he also had to learn to play by the rules. But can you imagine learning to do that for the first time at Storrs? I mean he didn't have any idea what was handed to him.

Reaction Score
very sad story, hope he is ok somewhere. i doubt the NCAA gives a whatever happened to him

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for humanizing him as something more than a violation. Really, he is not the one who committed violations. He probably behaved badly with that young woman.
He went from future millionaire to D league to being cut.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Some filmography company in Ohio is trying to submit an ESPN 30 for 30 story on him. God only knows how that makes us look.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nate, while he doesn't blame us for "saving our own butt", does not agree with JC's & Tom More's version of things. His problem is with Uconn not the NCAA. He was gone by the time they got involved.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
A little too much glee here....

I don't think he ever hit a woman - someone took out a restraining order which he violated. And then the woman who filed the order retracted the order...it was a perfect mess.

All things considered, it worked out for the best for UConn. For Nate, not so much...

The last I heard, he was recovered from a stabbing that collapsed both of his lungs. He was trying to get his career back on track with a barnstorming tour that was heading to China.

Kinda lost the thread on him after that.
That's about as far as I've been able to get too.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Anyone who insinuates that Vitale has an anti-UConn agenda isn't a real college basketball fan. You can't come to that conclusion if you actually watch Vitale do UConn games.
He may not have an agenda, but he sure loves to remind the good folks at home what UConn has been dealing with off the court moreso than on the court during the game hes covering. Also Im referencing the 08-10 period, not right now, so you can put your Dick Vitale bobblehead back on your desk and relax.

Reaction Score
He may not have an agenda, but he sure loves to remind the good folks at home what UConn has been dealing with off the court moreso than on the court during the game hes covering. Also Im referencing the 08-10 period, not right now, so you can put your Dick Vitale bobblehead back on your desk and relax.

I don't think he has any less respect for us than most others outside of Durham. Always been kind to JC and the program I think.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
A little too much glee here....

I don't think he ever hit a woman - someone took out a restraining order which he violated. And then the woman who filed the order retracted the order...it was a perfect mess.

All things considered, it worked out for the best for UConn. For Nate, not so much...

The last I heard, he was recovered from a stabbing that collapsed both of his lungs. He was trying to get his career back on track with a barnstorming tour that was heading to China.

Kinda lost the thread on him after that.

And people forget what a baller he was. I remember a Senior (forget who) being asked who's the best passer on the squad. He said, "No question, Nate Miles"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can anyone speak specifically on the hardships he faced?

In terms of basketball, if he would have been able to screw it together for a couple of years under JC, he'd be in the NBA.

I think that's why UConn endured the crap they did as he wound his way through so many high schools - Calhoun knew what he could have become. He would have been a dominant college player.

Off the court, UConn should never have been involved.

Way too many red flags, but I think JC saw the talent, saw a kid who basically grew up on his own and took way, way too many chances to get him into school.

After he left UConn, Patterson, his guardian, got him placed at Southern Idaho where he did well, but he bailed to the draft after that season.

If he would have gone back to Southern Idaho, and then bounced to a half-way house program like Memphis or Mississippi State, I think he would have been fine.

Reaction Score
Fishy is spot on. Unfortunately for him, his life situation made him unrecruitable. Between his living situation and health situation, any team he committed to was going to be committing some level of violations keeping up on him before he got to campus. It just happened to be us, and a little more than that too. He was always going to have problems, no matter what did or did not happen with the girl.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Way too many red flags, but I think JC saw the talent, saw a kid who basically grew up on his own and took way, way too many chances to get him into school.

How so? Once that idiot towel boy became involved we should have walked away, but other than that what did CT do?

Reaction Score
Some filmography company in Ohio is trying to submit an ESPN 30 for 30 story on him. God only knows how that makes us look.

Uconn has two of the most incredible runs in NCAA history (2011 and 2014). It would be fitting the 30 For 30 we get featured in would be a troubled recruit who never played in a single game at Uconn and ended up getting us nailed for some violations. The kids story is incredibly depressing. I hope he's able to find his way.

C

Chief00

I will always be in the sympathetic to Nate camp. As Fishy said he violated a restraining order which I don't think he had a true understanding of. So unfortunately after not being able to immediately get a coach on the phone - he did the worse thing and called her to see what the paper was about.
The mother was truly the one who had the problem with Nate from what I was told. His hearing was a true miscarriage of justice as a disruptive group from the Women's Center loudly protested outside the hearing doors. Under the circumstances, the verdict was going to be overly harsh. Nate was a player the coaches really liked in his short tenure here. He was a guy who really wanted to be here and get the JC discipline. Like a few others, perhaps he knew he needed it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He is in the running to be the next president of BC.

Not going to happen. He's vastly over-qualified for that position. It wouldn't offer him enough of an intellectual challenge.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Because after all the shady crap caused by his recruitment when he finally gets here what does he do before even his first official practice starts? Hitting a girl and violating a restraint order? He'd been on campus for what, a couple weeks?

Yeah he's going to be thrown under a bus. Kids make mistakes, but after all we went though to get him here, he could have been a lot smarter. I guess it worked out for the best as if we won anything with him in roster it could have caused issues.

I do hope he has found peace and success in life though.

I'm not sure a single thing in this post is accurate.

Shady recruiting? as in what? You think a wannabe agent that pays for a minor surgery the school would have paid for once he arrived is actually shady recruiting? Did you know? at that point he had already committed, there was nothing shady about his recruitment.

Hitting a girl? that's not what I recall, but I could be mistaken. I thought she didn't like the fact that he was continuously trying to talk her into having sex and she felt threatened or uncomfortable

and I think his violation of a restraining order was done by calling her and asking her why she had a restraining order put on him

at the end of the day, he was obviously undisciplined and prone to making bad decisions. JC was hoping he could mold the man, never really had a chance to do so.

willie99

Reaction Score
UConn freshman Nate Miles was expelled from school yesterday, for an assortment of charges. From Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant:

According to an affidavit obtained Wednesday, the alleged victim said the relationship began with consensual sex but later Miles became physical and "extremely possessive."

The affidavit said the woman went to Miles' dorm room on Sept. 14, at which time he began pressuring her to have sex. When she refused, he allegedly "would tap my face or dig his nails into me." When she hit him back, he "slapped me and pushed me off the bed."The alleged victim, a 19 year old freshman from Manchester, CT (Miles is 20), got a restraining order against Miles, which he violated 16 minutes later by calling her.

Miles has been banned from campus since the assault, but will only face criminal charges based on the restraining order violation. - See more at: http://ballinisahabit.blogspot.com/2008/10/nate-miles-expelled-from-uconn.html#sthash.AeQwyn9S.dpuf

----------------------------------------------------

looks like the allegation may be somewhere in between, but he was never charged with assault, which is what would have happened if he actually assaulted her

was charged with calling her within 16 minutes after the restraining order was issued, that was his crime

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
iirc correctly ( and I may be off base) but weren't a significant number of our " impermissible phone calls" that we got dinged on by the NCAA centered on Miles too? Combine that with a former team manager paying medical cost, and yeah, I'll stand by my shady recruiting comment.

If it were Syracuse doing those things to land a player, we would eat their lunch calling them cheaters and screaming how dirty their program is.

As far as hitting. The affidavit posted above speaks for itself.
Even if the reality it is milder than the affidavit, he is not the victim here. He is a scholarship hoops player who made some terrible mistakes.

willie99

Reaction Score
iirc correctly ( and I may be off base) but weren't a significant number of our " impermissible phone calls" that we got dinged on by the NCAA centered on Miles too? Combine that with a former team manager paying medical cost, and yeah, I'll stand by my shady recruiting comment.

If it were Syracuse doing those things to land a player, we would eat their lunch calling them cheaters and screaming how dirty their program is.

As far as hitting. The affidavit posted above speaks for itself.
Even if the reality it is milder than the affidavit, he is not the victim here. He is a scholarship hoops player who made some terrible mistakes.

that's what Yahoo reported but it was inaccurate

I don't remember the year, let's call it 2007 for the sake of conversation. They reported that in December of 2007 UConn contacted him far in excess of what the rules allowed for a junior. But at that time, he was a senior and committed to UConn, so they didn't violate any rules. The NCAA didn't accept some of his high school credits, and in March of 2008 they reclassified him as a junior. Yahoo conveniently omitted that fact in their hit piece. They also turned a 90 second phone call between JC and the wannabe agent into a 90 minute phone call, and then concluded they talked for 90 minutes about how to cheat with Nate Miles. It was nothing but a hit piece from start to finish.

As for the phone calls, the NCAA audit the phone records for a three year period and found a total of 150 impermissible calls. I think most of the calls that were deemed to be impermissible were either impermissible because "the wrong member of the staff was making such call" and / or they weren't probably documented. I remember once hearing that the staff didn't document 30 second phone calls, with the length implying the recruit was never reached, but the call wasn't documented as such with a notation

Reality was a far cry from what was generally reported and believed to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom