Does 45% FG% Against Mercer Imply "Offense Needs Improvement"? | The Boneyard

Does 45% FG% Against Mercer Imply "Offense Needs Improvement"?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Mercer postgame thread is now closed, but one of the early comments made in that thread was that UConn's field goal make percentage of 44.8% (in round numbers, 45%) meant "in polite terms" that the offense needs improvement. Apparently the poster felt that against an overmatched opponent, anything less than a 50% shooting percentage is a negative indicator for the quality of UConn's offense. His post got a number of Likes, so it appears that many Boneyarders agreed with him.

A number of responses were made, including that South Carolina shot a similarly low percentage against its much weaker first-round opponent. The original poster replied to that with a comment to the effect that SC's offense also needs improvement, but it is less urgent for them because their defense is so much better than UConn's (a dubious claim in my mind). Another response was that SC faced Mercer last year in the NCAA first round, and was much less successful offensively than UConn was yesterday. A third response was that the relatively low shooting percentage was the result of "rust" after an 11-day layoff.

While all of these responses have validity, I think some additional points need to be made. One very significant fact is that UConn's shooting percentage in the first half of yesterday's game was in fact greater than 50%: UConn was 15-for-29 in the first half, or 52%. The second half was not as good (15-for-38, or 39%), despite the 20-0 third quarter. For the game, UConn was 30-for-67. The higher shooting percentage in the first half casts some doubt on the "rust" theory, but it does mean that the UConn offense was humming at a normal rate until the game was basically decided.

The other point is that if you watch the game (as I did both live and on replay), it is very apparent that UConn's shooting percentage was heavily affected by missed layups and missed uncontested putbacks. In the second half, I counted at least six FGA attempts by UConn in this category. If the total for the entire game was more than 7 (and I think it was probably in the 10-12 range), then deducting these from the total of 67 shot attempts would bring the shooting percentage above 50% for the game.

But how can you justify such a deduction? Layups and putbacks are part of a team's offense, so an inability to hit these shots may imply that this part of the "offense" needs improvement. But usually when people talk about an offense needing improvement (or being seriously deficient, which is what the poster really meant), they mean that the team is not getting open for good shots, or the wrong people are taking them, or that bad shots are being taken. If a large portion of the misses are simply missed layups and the like, then none of those things are true about UConn's offense against Mercer. All you can expect of a coaching staff is to run an offensive scheme that gets a shooter open for a shot that is in her range -- and a layup opportunity is the best example of the success of the designed offense, regardless of whether it is made. That was happening, and the "adjusted" shooting percentage reflects that.

Now, if someone wants to complain that the UConn offense had too many turnovers (16), I would agree with that, provided that it is also noted that UConn had a 23-8 margin over Mercer in points off turnovers. But against that kind of an opponent, a turnover total closer to 10 would be a reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
Two #2 seeds upset today. You don't improve this time of year, you win or go home. People just need something to debate. The goal is very simple this time of year, you score more than your opponent. Style points don't matter, stats don't matter and how many you win by does not matter. Only other thing that matters is staying healthy as it can obviously impact your next game(s).

Reaction Score
Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Two #2 seeds upset today. You don't improve this time of year, you win or go home. People just need something to debate. The goal is very simple this time of year, you score more than your opponent. Style points don't matter, stats don't matter and how many you win by does not matter. Only other thing that matters is staying healthy as it can obviously impact your next game(s).
This is Nan's theory as well...
Geno disagrees.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
At this point stats are not that meaningful to judge the prospects of the team. The eye test is more telling. What was the quality of play by the opponent? What type of defense did create problems for us to score against? What type of offense did we look vulnerable to? What was the level of energy and confidence of the team an of specific players? Which combination of players on the floor together looked in sync or out of sync? Etc.

By this measure, I feel better about the huskies than in recent years. Still too early though. The game against UCF will be a much better gauge.

Reaction Score
I might worry about the shooting per centage if this were my fantasy basketball team, but it's not. Hey, wouldn't it be fun to follow somebody's fantasy team? Like Joe's team... Poor Joe. That'd be fun though.

Reaction Score
UConn is not about shooting %. Nothing to see here.

UConn recruits shooters (who can learn the rest of the game). UConn teaches and plays defense and then prepares players to get good shots for themselves and their teammates. Then it's up to the random variation in shooting % (from natural shooters). Que sera sera.

If the (relatively) low% sample were from poor shot selection then we, and Geno, would have a problem. We don't. We may have other problems (don't get me onto taking care of the ball), but not shooting %.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut shoots 44% from three, I don't think 45% overall is a problem, especially if they hold the opponents to under 30%.

I would like to see a lot better than 58% from the foul line, though.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut shoots 44% from three, I don't think 45% overall is a problem, especially if they hold the opponents to under 30%.

I would like to see a lot better than 58% from the foul line, though.
So would I. But a 75% foul shooting team is going to shoot 58% in 43.87% of its games. It's still likely to average 75% going forward.

That's completely made up math because I'm too lazy to actually do the math at 3am. But it happens.

Reaction Score
I dont think so. The thing about UCF is they hold the ball until a few seconds left on shot clock. Games are a grind against them. That means UConn won't get as many shots at the basket as per a usual game. Thats why nodbody scores very high against them. FG% will matter. Need the shots to count.

UConns issues are turnovers and free throws. Opponents points off turnovers will probably be the reason they lose, if they lose. If they lose a close game and FT% is 58%? Well, at least we know why. Nothing can be done at this point as others have pointed out.

Reaction Score
I dont think so. The thing about UCF is they hold the ball until a few seconds left on shot clock. Games are a grind against them. That means UConn won't get as many shots at the basket as per a usual game. Thats why nodbody scores very high against them. FG% will matter. Need the shots to count.

UConns issues are turnovers and free throws. Opponents points off turnovers will probably be the reason they lose, if they lose. If they lose a close game and FT% is 58%? Well, at least we know why. Nothing can be done at this point as others have pointed out.
Good point. While getting the win is Job #1, all aspects of the game are indicators for the future.

Reaction Score
The Mercer postgame thread is now closed, but one of the early comments made in that thread was that UConn's field goal make percentage of 44.8% (in round numbers, 45%) meant "in polite terms" that the offense needs improvement. Apparently the poster felt that against an overmatched opponent, anything less than a 50% shooting percentage is a negative indicator for the quality of UConn's offense...
Thank you, Joe, but as you said in your intro, the thread is closed but yet you've written a six- paragraph treatise to rehash the various points previously discussed with no chance at further resolution. It's over Joe. Let it go. Coach has got this one.

Reaction Score
The Mercer postgame thread is now closed, but one of the early comments made in that thread was that UConn's field goal make percentage of 44.8% (in round numbers, 45%) meant "in polite terms" that the offense needs improvement. Apparently the poster felt that against an overmatched opponent, anything less than a 50% shooting percentage is a negative indicator for the quality of UConn's offense. His post got a number of Likes, so it appears that many Boneyarders agreed with him.

A number of responses were made, including that South Carolina shot a similarly low percentage against its much weaker first-round opponent. The original poster replied to that with a comment to the effect that SC's offense also needs improvement, but it is less urgent for them because their defense is so much better than UConn's (a dubious claim in my mind). Another response was that SC faced Mercer last year in the NCAA first round, and was much less successful offensively than UConn was yesterday. A third response was that the relatively low shooting percentage was the result of "rust" after an 11-day layoff.

While all of these responses have validity, I think some additional points need to be made. One very significant fact is that UConn's shooting percentage in the first half of yesterday's game was in fact greater than 50%: UConn was 15-for-29 in the first half, or 52%. The second half was not as good (15-for-38, or 39%), despite the 20-0 third quarter. For the game, UConn was 30-for-67. The higher shooting percentage in the first half casts some doubt on the "rust" theory, but it does mean that the UConn offense was humming at a normal rate until the game was basically decided.

The other point is that if you watch the game (as I did both live and on replay), it is very apparent that UConn's shooting percentage was heavily affected by missed layups and missed uncontested putbacks. In the second half, I counted at least six FGA attempts by UConn in this category. If the total for the entire game was more than 7 (and I think it was probably in the 10-12 range), then deducting these from the total of 67 shot attempts would bring the shooting percentage above 50% for the game.

But how can you justify such a deduction? Layups and putbacks are part of a team's offense, so an inability to hit these shots may imply that this part of the "offense" needs improvement. But usually when people talk about an offense needing improvement (or being seriously deficient, which is what the poster really meant), they mean that the team is not getting open for good shots, or the wrong people are taking them, or that bad shots are being taken. If a large portion of the misses are simply missed layups and the like, then none of those things are true about UConn's offense against Mercer. All you can expect of a coaching staff is to run an offensive scheme that gets a shooter open for a shot that is in her range -- and a layup opportunity is the best example of the success of the designed offense, regardless of whether it is made. That was happening, and the "adjusted" shooting percentage reflects that.

Now, if someone wants to complain that the UConn offense had too many turnovers (16), I would agree with that, provided that it is also noted that UConn had a 23-8 margin over Mercer in points off turnovers. But against that kind of an opponent, a turnover total closer to 10 would be a reasonable expectation.
OK, get ready to throw rocks at me. I want to say some things about "bunnies". An uncontested layup is a bunny. How many truly uncontested layups does UConn miss? Very few, maybe 1 or 2 per game. All of the others aren't really "bunnies". Put 6 or 7 kids within 3 feet of the basket all grappling, swatting, doing everything except biting, and what goes up in the air is usually highly contested, hardly a "bunny" at all. Yet we all expect UConn to make 100% of those. Just a tad unfair...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This +1,000.

1647862931073.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

New avatar? Celebrating the men’s victory last night?

Reaction Score
I was happy with the game because Paige appeared more comfortable. Paige’s injury was serious and usually the mental recovery takes longer than the actual physical injury, that does not seem to be a problem for Paige. Get to the NCST game and I believe the team and Paige will be ready for a championship run, the BIG OBSTACLE I see ahead is Texas and Texas is a huge problem.

Reaction Score

It's funny during the SC game there was a lot of criticism about their "offense" and "shooting woes." All I saw was the number 20, they had given up 20 pts midway thru the 4th quarter. Idc how you shoot, if you do that defensively you are going to win a national title. Obviously the competition will get tougher, and SC will give up more pts in future games, but SC has their model of winning and so far seems to be working.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We won by 45. We held them under 40 pts. We had a balanced attack. We are a very powerful team that is 9 deep. We have smart guards and a bunch of them that will control the game. If UCF holds the ball and can get off a good shot we will win by alot. If we get a double digit lead and they hold the ball they wont win. We can score at every position with 9 players. Be patient, be positive and pray we dont get hurt. Geno knows their game and he will have UConn prepared for it

Reaction Score
If you think are offense is bad take a look at South Carolina yesterday, yikes.
Several good points already made, but I will add a couple.
Not every lay-up called by the announcers is a lay-up. If a 6'5" player is between me and the basket, even at 3-4 ft, its not a lay-up.
The biggest difference between this tourney and the regular season is that foul calls become fewer and fewer. ( Ask Lisa Bluder). Every year at the FF, we find out that going down low to our bigs becomes less and less effective because of the physical play.
Lastly, we know, as does the opposing teams, know who are best shooter are. They leave a certain few ( we know who) open and challenge them to shoot. If they shoot, then are shooting % go down. If Paige and Azzi took the most shots, are team % would go up.
But Geno wants to spread the shots around, and I won't argue with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom