Do you think Napier and Boatright will stay next year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do you think Napier and Boatright will stay next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even with Facey, I do not see this team getting to the Sweet 16 next year or maybe even the tournament.

Have to say "We're DOOMED"......

more to come about this post from CTBasketball in 20..........

Reaction Score
Even with Facey, I do not see this team getting to the Sweet 16 next year or maybe even the tournament.

We're one good post player away from contending next season, assuming everybody else returns. Think Missouri 2011-12 - an electrifying backcourt coupled with a viable frontcourt. But you're right, if that post player doesn't show up, next year could be disappointing.

Reaction Score
Why not a top5. Won't happen in the preseason but Uconn could end up challenging for a NC. Just think back to 2010-2011. We returned two starters. KW and AO. Walker ave. 14.6 and 5.5 assist. Was not on any preseason AA team except fox sports where he was picked to the fifth team. AO ave 5 points, 6+ rebounds. Would knew 5 freshmen would come in and end the season with 11 straight wins. Remember going into the NCAA's we were still a longshot.

We return a much better team next year if everyone returns. Guard play will be excellent and OC should significantly improve with a year under his belt. I think we will see much more improvement from DD as he becomes more confident and get's more experience. If we can get solid play from NG and Facey can contribute right away we can compete for a NC. A lot of if 's but this team is much better going into 2013-14 than 2010-2011 team was. Also KO hopefully will be a better coach with a year's experience.

As much as I'd love for this to be true, since when did Facey all of a sudden become this electrifying big man who is going to make us a title contender?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Have to say "We're DOOMED"......

more to come about this post from CTBasketball in 20..........

Roughly 16 hours later, I return.

I think comparing the 2013-2014 Huskies to the 2012-2013 Missouri Kittens team is a good comparison. If we can somehow find a big that is an above-average/good college player upon his freshman season, I think we'll be in the Top 25 and a contender come March. If we don't, I think this team will be just like the 2009-2010 Huskies, minus the headaches and season-ending debacle.

Reaction Score
As much as I'd love for this to be true, since when did Facey all of a sudden become this electrifying big man who is going to make us a title contender?

Yea, I think people got be realistic as to what Facey will provide, AO himself only averaged like 6 & 5 his freshman year on a team where bigs were in dire need, and AO was more college ready than Facey. Best hope is improvement for what we already have, mainly DeAndre, Nolan & Wolf.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yea, I think people got be realistic as to what Facey will provide, AO himself only averaged like 6 & 5 his freshman year on a team where bigs were in dire need, and AO was more college ready than Facey. Best hope is improvement for what we already have, mainly DeAndre, Nolan & Wolf.

Wolf will make an All-Big East team next year. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
Wolf will make an All-Big East team next year. Mark it down.
Oh stop! On a more typical UConn team, Wolf would barely see the floor. he is playing this year because we have nobody else in the front court. He gets out muscled by 6-6 "bigs" form mid-major programs. Well maybe he makes all-big east if the Catholic schools leave, Tulane arrives and we decide to add East Carolina as a full member...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If neither can develop a deadly midrange/3pt game they probably won't do much in the NBA. They're both smaller than Kemba and can't shoot the way he does. They could develop that midrange game eventually but they aren't there yet. Boatright is basically a smaller Kemba with a worse jump shot. And Bazz is smaller than Kemba, a worse athlete and can't shoot like he does. So I don't think they are NBA ready. Maybe next year they will both have refined jump shots and be able to get drafted but they just aren't there yet IMO.

Agree with the overall sentiment that Boat is closer. His athleticism is outstanding. If his shot really comes together for the rest of the year he could go.
I love them both as UConn players and they would be perhaps the best college backcourt next season. However, you are right on target about their drawbacks from an NBA perspective. Kemba has struggled on defense in the NBA and last year struggled considerably in finishing because of his size and both Bazz and Boat are smaller. Kemba was THE dominant college player in 2010-11 and slipped to #9 in the draft.
I think Paul Pressey is in the same situation. It will be an uphill climb for all three to be successful in the NBA and they would be better served getting college degrees.

Reaction Score
Oh stop! On a more typical UConn team, Wolf would barely see the floor. he is playing this year because we have nobody else in the front court. He gets out muscled by 6-6 "bigs" form mid-major programs. Well maybe he makes all-big east if the Catholic schools leave, Tulane arrives and we decide to add East Carolina as a full member...

I will be surprised if Wolf makes it through the Big East season without getting hurt. Some of the other big guys in the league are going to put a hurting on him for sure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If they do, I think we have a tournament team, especially with Facey. My gut says one of them won't be back next year.

I am 85% sure they are both returning. Otherwise they would have left prior to this year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If neither can develop a deadly midrange/3pt game they probably won't do much in the NBA. They're both smaller than Kemba and can't shoot the way he does. They could develop that midrange game eventually but they aren't there yet. Boatright is basically a smaller Kemba with a worse jump shot. And Bazz is smaller than Kemba, a worse athlete and can't shoot like he does. So I don't think they are NBA ready. Maybe next year they will both have refined jump shots and be able to get drafted but they just aren't there yet IMO.

Agree with the overall sentiment that Boat is closer. His athleticism is outstanding. If his shot really comes together for the rest of the year he could go.
The college 3 pointer is an NBA midrange. They need to make the college 3s with more consistency. They are probably both back for the 2013-14 season in order to make a tourney run...

Reaction Score
Not sure where the Bazz is smaller than Kemba stuff is coming from, he's definitely not smaller from a height or weight perspective. Bazz is also probably a bit thicker as well but Kemba has him in strength.

Reaction Score
I actually think we'd be fine if one left. I doubt that either one would be that attractive to an NBA team, for all the reasons discussed, but that doesn't mean one won't go. In this day of handlers and advisors and so on, guys make dumb moves all the time. But from a UConn perspective, I'm not sure it would be a disaster if either one, though not both, left after this year. Play Calhoun at the 2, who stays between Napier/Boatright at the point, assuming the Samuel kid they are bringing in is at least ok, he can spell Bazz/Boat here and there. Of ocurse it won't matter if we don't get some pretty good help in the front court. But losing 1 of Napier or Boatright wouldn't necessarily be disasterous for UConn.

Reaction Score
I actually think we'd be fine if one left. I doubt that either one would be that attractive to an NBA team, for all the reasons discussed, but that doesn't mean one won't go. In this day of handlers and advisors and so on, guys make dumb moves all the time. But from a UConn perspective, I'm not sure it would be a disaster if either one, though not both, left after this year. Play Calhoun at the 2, who stays between Napier/Boatright at the point, assuming the Samuel kid they are bringing in is at least ok, he can spell Bazz/Boat here and there. Of ocurse it won't matter if we don't get some pretty good help in the front court. But losing 1 of Napier or Boatright wouldn't necessarily be disasterous for UConn.

Omar at the 2 does not bring to the table what these 2 small guards bring.......Omar at the 2 means we get pressed end-to-end, have you seen him handle and pass this year? While I think he'll improve I doubt we'll see much of him at 2 w/o an unbelievable improvement by next fall.........they need to stay or we need help for whoever stays and Samuel coming in......

I do agree though kids get bad information from their "peeps" now I just hope these guys listen to Coach Ollie and the staff (and of course JC!!)

Reaction Score
Omar at the 2 does not bring to the table what these 2 small guards bring.......Omar at the 2 means we get pressed end-to-end, have you seen him handle and pass this year? While I think he'll improve I doubt we'll see much of him at 2 w/o an unbelievable improvement by next fall.........they need to stay or we need help for whoever stays and Samuel coming in......

I do agree though kids get bad information from their "peeps" now I just hope these guys listen to Coach Ollie and the staff (and of course JC!!)
I guess I think he'll improve some and he could bring some things these guys don't, notably size and a more consistent shot, at least potentially. I don't worry about getting pressed end to end, mainly because very few teams play that style any more and are unlikely to put it in for one game.

Reaction Score
it doesn't even have to be a pressing D, it's about being able to break a trap in the halfcourt, or take a couple of dribbles with the ball and make the right play, whether that be for yourself or creating an opportunity for a teammate, something Omar hasn't shown against legit competition. I have no doubt he'll improve, but Boat and Bazz can do that right now and we'll be even better another year from now. I like Samuel for the future, but he's not someone that can step in and adequately fill either Boat or Bazz's shoes next year , and with team likely to deal with frontcourt issues again next year they'll still have to heavily rely on their backcourt. Not even sure how its arguable that the team still desparately needs the both of them, but when you argue for contrarian's sake I guess you can take that stance.

Reaction Score
it doesn't even have to be a pressing D, it's about being able to break a trap in the halfcourt, or take a couple of dribbles with the ball and make the right play, whether that be for yourself or creating an opportunity for a teammate, something Omar hasn't shown against legit competition. I have no doubt he'll improve, but Boat and Bazz can do that right now and we'll be even better another year from now. I like Samuel for the future, but he's not someone that can step in and adequately fill either Boat or Bazz's shoes next year , and with team likely to deal with frontcourt issues again next year they'll still have to heavily rely on their backcourt. Not even sure how its arguable that the team still desparately needs the both of them, but when you argue for contrarian's sake I guess you can take that stance.
Ok, I can see that argument. But I think we can be fine with one of them. In a lot of ways they are very similar players, I think. They are both inconsistent outside shooters, I think Calhoun will be better, and they are both on the small side. To a degree they rely on speed and quickness to make up for the lack of height and strength. I think Calhoun will give you more size and strength which along with better shooting will tend to balance the loss. I'm not saying I hope one leaves or even that we won't be better if they both stay. I just we could survive the loss of one of those two with what we have and what we're bringing in the back court. Again, assuming Samuel is up to playing some at this level. If for some reason both left, we'd be screwed.

Reaction Score
How is Omar a better shooter though? He hasn't shot well against real teams. I don't expect Boat to keep up the pace he's been on the past couple of games, but he's showing that he's a better shooter than what he's been putting up in the beginning of the year, and he showed that last year also. Bazz has shot pretty well from long range as well, and was shooting well before he injured his foot early in the BE season last year. Even if we were to get someone like Kendall Smith I would still be worried if we lost either Bazz or Boat. I like both Samuel and Smith(if we were to get him), but the team would be much better suited with them getting 10 minutes or so a game and learning instead of being forced into action. This team is still going to have rely heavily on its guards/wings next year, and Bazz and Boat provide too much offensively for me to see someone like Niels or DeAndre making up for that in case one of them departs.

Ok, I can see that argument. But I think we can be fine with one of them. In a lot of ways they are very similar players, I think. They are both inconsistent outside shooters, I think Calhoun will be better, and they are both on the small side. To a degree they rely on speed and quickness to make up for the lack of height and strength. I think Calhoun will give you more size and strength which along with better shooting will tend to balance the loss. I'm not saying I hope one leaves or even that we won't be better if they both stay. I just we could survive the loss of one of those two with what we have and what we're bringing in the back court. Again, assuming Samuel is up to playing some at this level. If for some reason both left, we'd be screwed.

Reaction Score
Boat is a much better shooter than walker at this point in his career in all areas,FG, 3pt, ft and scoring. Both Bazz and Boat stats are even better than walker's junior year with the exception of scoring ave.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I made that point about 3 pages ago. I don't expect Facey to give us more more than, say, a Hilton Armstrong, Marcus White, or Alex Oriakhi gave us as freshmen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I made that point about 3 pages ago. I don't expect Facey to give us more more than, say, a Hilton Armstrong, Marcus White, or Alex Oriakhi gave us as freshmen.
My view as well. And seems to be the consensus among the recruiting sites I've seen. Not that they specifically compare him to those guys, of course but that is the impression I get.

Reaction Score
Boat is a much better shooter than walker at this point in his career in all areas,FG, 3pt, ft and scoring. Both Bazz and Boat stats are even better than walker's junior year with the exception of scoring ave.
Neither is as good an all around player. They just are not. And Walker had other guys who could produce, Lamb for one, so he didn't have to score as much. He could when he needed to, though. That is for sure.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
My view as well. And seems to be the consensus among the recruiting sites I've seen. Not that they specifically compare him to those guys, of course but that is the impression I get.

But I agree with you. Unless Facey becomes a rabid animal on the boards, I see him averaging somewhere around 6 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom