Do you think Napier and Boatright will stay next year? | The Boneyard

Do you think Napier and Boatright will stay next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
If they do, I think we have a tournament team, especially with Facey. My gut says one of them won't be back next year.

Reaction Score
Where are they going to go? Neither one is really a high NBA prospect in my view. Both are on the small side, especially Boatright I would say. By staying and having a good tournament run more than one boarder line prospect has upped his draft position. To me, it would be worth the risk, especially if your real alternative is Europe or somewhere.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought SN might be a candidate and not RB. But if last game becomes the norm, RB may leave as well. There are too many factors to predict your statement at this stage including how these guys perform the remainder of the year, how other guards in the world, never mind just college, develop, the needs of the NBA teams, the needs of SN and RB to provide for their family, the desire of either of those players to help the bb program get out its hole.

I would love them to be here next season. But I want them to do what's in their best interest first.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Free. I get there are little guys in the NBA, but neither is even 6' tall. I know people on here think they have a solid NBA career ahead of him, and maybe they do, but they're not as good as Walker, and are smaller to boot. It remains to be seen. I hope he and Shabazz stick around.

Reaction Score
Should they leave? Absolutely not. Will they? That all depends on whether or not they listen to the right people.

They are both very good college players, but you just don't see many guys as small as they are succeed in the NBA, let alone leave school early for the draft. Guys like Kemba and Ty Lawson come to mind, but those guys both had unreal junior seasons and were physically stronger than our guys are now.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Where are they going to go? Neither one is really a high NBA prospect in my view. Both are on the small side, especially Boatright I would say. By staying and having a good tournament run more than one boarder line prospect has upped his draft position. To me, it would be worth the risk, especially if your real alternative is Europe or somewhere.
Yeah I've been next to Boat on campus multiple times and there's no way he's taller than 5'10. Kemba caught all that criticism for being small and he's still taller than Boat. Neither have anything close to a consistent shot from anywhere. Kemba at least had that pull-up from the elbow. JL at least had his floater.

They're crazy if they think they're ready for the NBA. I think SN is going to stay because I feel he wants to be viewed as a good leader given last year's debacle, and leaving before your senior year (without something to show for it) is not exactly a leadership quality, at least in his mind.

Reaction Score
They would need to do Kemba impersonations to even be thought of as a possible first rounder. I think they are more on the draft path of UW's Isaiah Thomas than Kemba. And Thomas was an excellent player and a great athlete.

Reaction Score
they are both good college players, but both have some limitations that would make them at best long shots for the NBA this year for sure and possibly permanently. If you're 5-11 you damned well better be a great shooter. Boatright is pretty good but not great. Napier is very inconsistent. I have to say of the 2 I would imagine Boatright would be more likely to leave but that is partly because I don't think much of his "advisor" I've also seen him rated slightly higher than Bazz on a couple of draft sites, though neither is rated really high.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think either of them would be late 2nd round picks or go undrafted. Why on earth would you give up a chance to get a degree for that? There is no way that either of them should leave. Jeremy Lamb was sent to the D-league recently. Neither Bazz or Boat are NBA players at this point, and if they want to carve out careers as NBA bench players or in Europe...there is nobody in world better equipped to prepare them than Kevin Ollie.

Reaction Score
If they listen to the right people they will be back next year. But Boatright has a lot of people in his ear so who knows what he does. Hopefully they both make the right decision.

This is one scenario where Jim Calhoun can put his "advisor" hat on and help these guys make the right decision. I'd like to think that between Ollie and Calhoun's NBA contacts, they'd be able to put together a pretty convincing case that these guys should stay in school.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't see it... most guards that see their stock really rise for the NBA draft do it by having a great NCAA tournament. Not being in the tournament and the Big East tournament really hurts their stock. Boat and Bazz lead us to a Final Four next year and the game changes for them big time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think that Boatright will think about it, but stay. He hasn't accomplished anything yet, I'm sure that eats at him.

Reaction Score
If they listen to the right people they will be back next year. But Boatright has a lot of people in his ear so who knows what he does. Hopefully they both make the right decision.

The NCAA has really shown Boatright how great college can be, between the ridiculous suspension and postseason ban. Ordinarily I would say no shot he goes, but I can imagine he is very frustrated with how things outside his control have had an effect on the past year and a half.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I only ask because Boatright talked about potentially leaving after LAST season and Napier is a junior now. I think both would be very smart to stay.

Reaction Score
If they do, I think we have a tournament team, especially with Facey. My gut says one of them won't be back next year.
Both need to stay and get a degree, because neither has the attributes for a long pro career. Too small, quick but not blazing, OK shooters, force too much sometimes. Maybe a few years in Europe on the house. But guys, get that degree in something useful.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Kemba was, what, the 9th pick in the draft? These guys won't sniff the top 15. They're too short to be SGs. And Boat doesn't have PG skills (I mean, he has skills, just not NBA PG skills). I think they'll be back.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Neither player (especially Boatright) is ready for the NBA. Shabazz is a lock for a 4 year player and Boatright will be here for a minimum of 3.

Reaction Score
If they do, I think we have a tournament team, especially with Facey.

I agree with you, except for that last phrase. Do you really think Facey is going to be anything more than a 15mpg, 3ppg, 3rpg guy as a freshman? He'll help, but he's not going to be the difference between making the Tournament and not.

Reaction Score
Tough to say, really. I'd put it at about 50/50 both of them are back. It's highly doubtful either will be a projected first round pick, but you can never blame a kid for wanting to get a head start on his pro career and you have no idea what kind of financial situation their families are in.

Reaction Score
Neither player (especially Boatright) is ready for the NBA. Shabazz is a lock for a 4 year player and Boatright will be here for a minimum of 3.
Neither of them are as good as Chris Smith who was listed at 6'1" but was really only about 5'10". Chris was a much better shooter and scorer. The only way the 2 of them make in the NBA is as PGs and they both need work running a team.

Reaction Score
Shabazz: He might but will probably talk to Ollie to see if he's NBA ready, if he does leave, he might get picked late 1st round to mid 2nd round and at worse, UFA and if he doesn't leave, we might see AJ Price II, leading us to a nice NCAA run.

Boat: He'll be back and should, hasn't accomplished that much yet except his scoring tendencies, I want to see him play in the NCAA Tournament again, plus it would be nice to see him score 1000 pts for his UConn career. If he left now, I don't think any NBA team would want him (prove me wrong) or might make his living in Europe.

Reaction Score
Danzz I don't disagree with you. And if people made logical decisions neither of these guys would be even thinking about leaving at this point. But they will be getting advice from all kinds of people, not all of whom have their best interests at heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom