Do You Agree With Charlie Creme? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Do You Agree With Charlie Creme?

Reaction Score
Strength of schedule, for starters.

We tried citing numbers on quality wins but that's apparently "arbitrary" despite me pulling it directly from the official NCAA selection sheets.
Strength of schedule is not in itself a ranking. It is a statistic, like average margin of victory or team shooting percentage. It is helpful but doesn't tell the whole story. Oklahoma played a top 3 schedule but they are a bubble team. This is one of the flaws of the RPI, that who you play is more important than how you play.

Reaction Score
If it is really down to these 2, then theoretically they should be placed in the same regional so this would happen. Unfortunately, the NCAA will probably play for money and prevent this for geographic reasons. I'm afraid Baylor could end up with Mississippi State, putting 2 of the likely top 3 teams in one bracket and keeping one of them out of the final four.
Baylor making the FF that is a good one lmao!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Strength of schedule is not in itself a ranking. It is a statistic, like average margin of victory or team shooting percentage. It is helpful but doesn't tell the whole story. Oklahoma played a top 3 schedule but they are a bubble team. This is one of the flaws of the RPI, that who you play is more important than how you play.

The word you used was "metric" not "ranking". Of course, SoS doesn't tell the whole story. That is why it is only 1 of 16 listed criteria for selection.

The only "ranking" that is among the criteria is RPI, which is why we've been talking about it, and we've already gone around in circles in that. Sagarin, Massey, Coaches' Poll, AP.... all totally irrelevant.

Reaction Score
The word you used was "metric" not "ranking". Of course, SoS doesn't tell the whole story. That is why it is only 1 of 16 listed criteria for selection.

The only "ranking" that is among the criteria is RPI, which is why we've been talking about it, and we've already gone around in circles in that. Sagarin, Massey, Coaches' Poll, AP.... all totally irrelevant.
I recognize the importance of the RPI in the eyes of the committee. It has Baylor at 4. By that, Baylor should be a top seed. I'm not sure who gets demoted, but if RPI is really what matters then someone has to move down.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
With SoCars win, I think Tex is a clear #8 and they will want to give UConn the weakest 2.

Had SC lost, I think 7/8 would've been closer and it would've been no big deal to pair UConn with 7 SC and #2 Ms st with 8 Tex. But no more.

Thus UConn - Tex in albany

That's my thinking, too, though personally I love Upstate NY. SC fans would appreciate going to Lexington since the committee has loved sending us out west for 3 of the last 4 tournaments.

Reaction Score
I think that Mercer should have the last #1 seed, they only have two losses. Make Notre Dame and Baylor both #2 seeds. That would shake things up and solve the problem between Notre Dame and Baylor.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If it is really down to these 2, then theoretically they should be placed in the same regional so this would happen. Unfortunately, the NCAA will probably play for money and prevent this for geographic reasons. I'm afraid Baylor could end up with Mississippi State, putting 2 of the likely top 3 teams in one bracket and keeping one of them out of the final four.
If Mulkey would play some good teams out of conference, we might know that, but she won't.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's my point. If you use arbitrary cutoff points you can find a number for anything. The point of the RPI is to do the comparisons for you, so we don't have to make this sort of arbitrary comparison.

I have nothing against Notre Dame, you obviously have a great team. I just firmly believe that Baylor should be a 1 seed and Notre Dame seems the most likely to fall. I really just want some consistency from the committee.

The committee consistently discredits weak schedules, just ask the Terps.

Reaction Score
The committee consistently discredits weak schedules, just ask the Terps.
The Maryland example is not valid here, as Baylor has a much more difficult schedule than last year's Maryland team. Maryland played something like 3 ranked teams, and lost to a not terribly strong Ohio State team. Interestingly, this year's Baylor team has a higher RPI and RPI SOS than last year. Last year's team was a 1 seed with no controversy, so I'm not sure what has changed.

Reaction Score
With SoCars win, I think Tex is a clear #8 and they will want to give UConn the weakest 2.

Had SC lost, I think 7/8 would've been closer and it would've been no big deal to pair UConn with 7 SC and #2 Ms st with 8 Tex. But no more.

Thus UConn - Tex in albany
I love the Height of Texas and Mississippi State going at each other.

Reaction Score
Charlie vs. the AP
If brackets were assigned from the AP rankings using an "S-Curve" distribution, they would look as follows. As the AP Poll doesn't have enough teams to fill out full brackets, cells without associated AP teams are grayed out. It does give an idea how the top of each bracket would fall.

View attachment 29143
S Curve is out... Geographic locations play a big part of this...

Reaction Score
S Curve is out... Geographic locations play a big part of this...
In truth, I wasn't arguing for the S-curve. For one thing, if two of the top five teams (according to the AP) are in the same conference, an S-curve could force them to meet prior to the Final Four. I would find it objectionable that two teams that had already met twice or maybe 3 times in the regular season and conference tournament met again in the same region. I'd think it more equitable that both have a shot at the championship game. After all, the AP Poll is a subjective measure. Maybe the teams are actually the two best squads in the country but one of them just got beat up by the other in pre-tourney play and was punished by the voters.

I was just offering what an S-curve based brackets might look like compared to Charlie's imagined selection committee's version of the brackets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom