Do You Agree With Charlie Creme? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Do You Agree With Charlie Creme?

Reaction Score
ND has three RPI wins against teams higher ranked than anyone Baylor has played.
But if we switch to Sagarin and Massey (which I know aren't official) Baylor has 3 wins better than any of Notre Dame's. Yes they are all Texas, but that still counts for something. It is all arbitrary.

Reaction Score
Of all the potential opponents out there, I believe that Baylor, even without Kristy Wallace, presents the most threatening obstacle to UConn's capturing NC #12. They are less formidable without Kristy, and may even lose a game to Texas as they adjust (although I doubt it), but their two "bigs", and the extremely effective passing game that has developed between the two, create huge matchup problems for everyone. Their one loss, absent both Cox and Mulkey, was an aberration, and they, in my opinion, are a much more deserving #1 seed than ND. Then again, ND will always be ranked, in every sport, higher than they deserve!

Reaction Score
According to Sagarin, Baylor is 8-1 against top 25, Notre Dame 10-3. That's not a big gap. He also has Baylor rated much higher.

Citing records against Top X teams is the kind of arbitrary nonsense that metrics like Sagarin and RPI are supposed to avoid. Who cares who has if one team has more wins against teams in the top 37, if the rating clearly has one team ranked higher anyway? Baylor is 20-1 against RPI top 100 teams, Notre Dame is 21-3. There's a number for anything if you choose the right cutoff. If RPI is the metric, then make Notre Dame a 1 seed, but give the same to Baylor. If it is not, and it is based on other metrics or "eye test", then give it to Baylor, because all agree Baylor is the better team.
How about a "Play in" 1-seed game to settle this argument. Game could be played at a neutral court, with NCAA referees from the Western conferences .

Reaction Score
How about a "Play in" 1-seed game to settle this argument. Game could be played at a neutral court, with NCAA referees from the Western conferences .
If it is really down to these 2, then theoretically they should be placed in the same regional so this would happen. Unfortunately, the NCAA will probably play for money and prevent this for geographic reasons. I'm afraid Baylor could end up with Mississippi State, putting 2 of the likely top 3 teams in one bracket and keeping one of them out of the final four.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
But if we switch to Sagarin and Massey (which I know aren't official) Baylor has 3 wins better than any of Notre Dame's. Yes they are all Texas, but that still counts for something. It is all arbitrary.

If we switch to a metric that doesn't matter, it favors Baylor. Yes, but it's a metric that doesn't matter.

Heck, Sagarin and Massey both have ND at 4 and Louisville at 5. But that's not how it's going to happen in reality. The RPI is the only ranking that is part of the official criteria and ND is #1 in the RPI.

Reaction Score
If it is really down to these 2, then theoretically they should be placed in the same regional so this would happen. Unfortunately, the NCAA will probably play for money and prevent this for geographic reasons. I'm afraid Baylor could end up with Mississippi State, putting 2 of the likely top 3 teams in one bracket and keeping one of them out of the final four.
The great thing about the NCAA 64 team tournament, is that both Baylor and Notre Dame will have to win a few other games before they will play each other. Upsets happen, and each team will need to win before they get the chance at settling this for the Baylor and Notre Dame fans.

Reaction Score
If we switch to a metric that doesn't matter, it favors Baylor. Yes, but it's a metric that doesn't matter.

Heck, Sagarin and Massey both have ND at 4 and Louisville at 5. But that's not how it's going to happen in reality. The RPI is the only ranking that is part of the official criteria and ND is #1 in the RPI.
I accept this. But if the RPI is the metric, then Baylor should get a 1 seed too as they are ranked number 4.

Honestly, the fact that UConn is not number one in the RPI invalidates the whole concept, but I realize it is here for now.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Baylor is 20-1 against RPI top 100 teams, Notre Dame is 21-3. There's a number for anything if you choose the right cutoff.

I don't think the fact that Baylor went 14-0 against RPI 51-100 is particularly instructive with regards to their NCAA tournament prospects and I don't think the committee will either.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I accept this. But if the RPI is the metric, then Baylor should get a 1 seed too as they are ranked number 4.

Honestly, the fact that UConn is not number one in the RPI invalidates the whole concept, but I realize it is here for now.

There are, in fact, many selection criteria:

In no specific priority order, the committee considers the following criteria in the selections process:

Ability to elevate
Availability of talent
Bad losses
Common opponents
Competitive in losses
Conference record
Early competition versus late competition
Head to head
Non-conference record
Overall record
Regional rankings
Relative strength of schedule
RPI
Significant wins
Strength of conference
Winnability

I could see Baylor getting a #1 and I wouldn't be outraged if it happens. But in the past it seems that the committee has chosen to reward beating good teams rather than not losing but playing a less-impressive schedule.

We are only a year removed from 30-2 Maryland getting a 3-seed with the chair of the committee stating, “It was tough because we felt Maryland didn’t test themselves in the same manner as [other] teams we were considering at the time.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think the fact that Baylor went 14-0 against RPI 51-100 is particularly instructive with regards to their NCAA tournament prospects and I don't think the committee will either.
That's my point. If you use arbitrary cutoff points you can find a number for anything. The point of the RPI is to do the comparisons for you, so we don't have to make this sort of arbitrary comparison.

I have nothing against Notre Dame, you obviously have a great team. I just firmly believe that Baylor should be a 1 seed and Notre Dame seems the most likely to fall. I really just want some consistency from the committee.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
According to Sagarin, Baylor is 8-1 against top 25, Notre Dame 10-3. That's not a big gap. He also has Baylor rated much higher.

Citing records against Top X teams is the kind of arbitrary nonsense that metrics like Sagarin and RPI are supposed to avoid. Who cares who has if one team has more wins against teams in the top 37, if the rating clearly has one team ranked higher anyway? Baylor is 20-1 against RPI top 100 teams, Notre Dame is 21-3. There's a number for anything if you choose the right cutoff. If RPI is the metric, then make Notre Dame a 1 seed, but give the same to Baylor. If it is not, and it is based on other metrics or "eye test", then give it to Baylor, because all agree Baylor is the better team.
I give up. By your logic, who cares about the "ranking" of Notre Dame or Baylor? What matters is their body of work, and that's what the committee used last season as Maryland didn't measure up.

Committee does not use just RPI. No matter how you slice (spin) it, Notre Dame comes out on top in my book, and most likely the committee's. We'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
Agree or not I certainly like the Albany bracket for UConn. Baylor, Texas, Oregon. You can have them. I'd rather face SCar in the E8 than any of them.
While I understand your reasoning. SC has Wilson, a better player than anyone on Baylor, Texas or Oregon. Plus she is a senior and has a good supporting cast with championship experience. SC also has Dawn , probably a better coach also. SC is going to be a very tough out, and will not give up the title easily. People will think I'm crazy, but I don't want any part of them until the FF. After watching non stop wcbb since last week. I thought they along with Louisville performed the best.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's my point. If you use arbitrary cutoff points you can find a number for anything. The point of the RPI is to do the comparisons for you, so we don't have to make this sort of arbitrary comparison.

It is not like there is one cutoff point that favors Baylor and one cutoff point that favors Notre Dame. When comparing RPI wins, every plausible cutoff point favors Notre Dame. 100 is not a plausible cutoff point.

This is not an arbitrary comparison. It speaks directly to one of the selection criteria "significant wins".

Reaction Score

I have nothing against Notre Dame, you obviously have a great team. I just firmly believe that Baylor should be a 1 seed and Notre Dame seems the most likely to fall. I really just want some consistency from the committee.

The RPI is an objective measure, but it is JUST ONE TOOL.
The overall process is of course arbitrary - it is done by a committee of humans.

You seem upset that the process is not 100% scientific or formula based. That has never been claimed, nor is it even possible. The committee evaluates numerous criteria (incl RPI) and does its best to come up with 64 teams, a 1-64 ranking, and a fair bracket.

Reaction Score
It is not like there is one cutoff point that favors Baylor and one cutoff point that favors Notre Dame. When comparing RPI wins, every plausible cutoff point favors Notre Dame. 100 is not a plausible cutoff point.

This is not an arbitrary comparison. It speaks directly to one of the selection criteria "significant wins".
I'm really tempted to go into an in-depth rant about the arbitrary nature of RPI as a whole, but this probably isn't the place for that. It is what it is and it won't be changing this year. I do enjoy a good debate about rankings, especially now that we have no basketball to watch for a week. I hope our teams meet in the tournament so this argument can be played out on the floor.

Reaction Score
The RPI is an objective measure, but it is JUST ONE TOOL.
The overall process is of course arbitrary - it is done by a committee of humans.

You seem upset that the process is not 100% scientific or formula based. That has never been claimed, nor is it even possible. The committee evaluates numerous criteria (incl RPI) and does its best to come up with 64 teams, a 1-64 ranking, and a fair bracket.
I don't want it to be 100% formula based, there has to be a place for human insight. Otherwise, Notre Dame would be ranked over Louisville despite the repeated results on the floor. My issue is that every formula, every ranking, every poll, and pretty much everyone's "eye test" has Baylor in the top 4. Why shouldn't they be a 1 seed? If they evidence was split I wouldn't have a problem but all evidence outside of Charlie Creme points to the same thing. I still hold out hope that Creme will be just as surprised by the final bracket as he was in the first reveal.

Reaction Score
My issue is that every formula, every ranking, every poll.

Yeah all the evidence ... other than all the posts that I and others have put into this thread, which you have conveniently ignored.

i'm done feeding the trolls. And bears. Goodbye.

Reaction Score
Yeah all the evidence ... other than all the posts that I and others have put into this thread, which you have conveniently ignored.

i'm done feeding the trolls. And bears. Goodbye.
I'm sorry if you feel that presenting evidence to back up an argument is trolling. My point is valid. Show me a poll or metric that doesn't have Baylor in the top 4.

Reaction Score
I want to see this pairing:

BU vs ND - Two short benches playing one another. Plus, they have a pretty good lengthy history of playing each other in the playoffs.
UT vs Miss St - UT has faced probably the better 6'7 player and is getting better with her. I think Atkins/Higgs on Vivians/Schafer and put McCarty on William ( I think UT could upset them)
Louisville vs Oregon Two star guards going head to head
UConn vs South Carolina I think they are playing better and could maybe challenge them more.

I picked this not based on schedules but what I think would be fun games to watch. Also I think all would be great matchups, maybe the UConn SC one not so much but I have to put both of them somewhere.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While I understand your reasoning. SC has Wilson, a better player than anyone on Baylor, Texas or Oregon. Plus she is a senior and has a good supporting cast with championship experience. SC also has Dawn , probably a better coach also. SC is going to be a very tough out, and will not give up the title easily. People will think I'm crazy, but I don't want any part of them until the FF. After watching non stop wcbb since last week. I thought they along with Louisville performed the best.
Well, I don't really care how any team performs against others. I do care how specific teams perform against UConn, and SCar and Wilson have always had their troubles with UConn's style of play. That is the point.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't really care how any team performs against others. I do care how specific teams perform against UConn, and SCar and Wilson have always had their troubles with UConn's style of play. That is the point.
I understand, but like how they're playing now !

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I'm sorry if you feel that presenting evidence to back up an argument is trolling. My point is valid. Show me a poll or metric that doesn't have Baylor in the top 4.

Well every single metric I made up has ND over Baylor. So you can't argue with facts.:rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Show me a poll or metric that doesn't have Baylor in the top 4.

Strength of schedule, for starters.

We tried citing numbers on quality wins but that's apparently "arbitrary" despite me pulling it directly from the official NCAA selection sheets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom