Do we start Whaley next game or | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we start Whaley next game or

Reaction Score
Carlton could not keep up with Houston.
I dont think he can keep up with jr high kids. His lack of athleticism is horrendous. hes a guy that should've been mastering fundamentals and he could've been a solid player. There have been many good college 5s who lacked athleticism but made up for it with skills.

Reaction Score
No we are starting Wilson because he did so good in practice before Wichita State and played so good in Game. Hurley said shaking things up. Hurley has no clue it's easy to when in A-10

Reaction Score
Not really that crazy. Who wudda thought whalley had that In him last night? . Dude made most of his free throws , was active as hell and actually had two big steals. Start him Sunday and see what happens. What we have to lose? An at -large bid went out window after whichita game.

Reaction Score
Carlton a no show after a decent game vs Villanova. You just don’t understand him. Why is he like this

Reaction Score
I get a good laugh out of anyone who says Whaley should transfer, Hurley should encourage him to leave, or he won’t play at all next year. As I’ve said for the last few months Whaley will again be the first big off the bench next season. There is no way a freshman Springs or Ferguson will be a bigger contributor than senior Whaley. No matter how he good or bad he plays, he brings energy and plays hard. Really really nice kid too

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't have to start him, but I don't want him logging another DNP like he did against Nova.
I agree that an especially good performance needs to rewarded with PT, if not necessarily a start.

Reaction Score
I get a good laugh out of anyone who says Whaley should transfer, Hurley should encourage him to leave, or he won’t play at all next year. As I’ve said for the last few months Whaley will again be the first big off the bench next season. There is no way a freshman Springs or Ferguson will be a bigger contributor than senior Whaley. No matter how he good or bad he plays, he brings energy and plays hard. Really really nice kid too
Springs will be better but we need more. We certainly don't need any more really really nice kids.

Reaction Score
Whaley is a career 2 point 2 rebound player. Look great for one game and is now
70 games at UConn he averages 2 points and 2 rebounds per game. Junior year 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. Yeah no way we can fill that void.

Reaction Score
Springs will be better but we need more. We certainly don't need any more really really nice kids.

I wasn’t saying he should play because he’s a nice kid. Just saying that makes it easier to root for him.

Springs WILL be better, I’m just not convinced he’ll be better than 4th year Whaley in his first season of college basketball. He will take time to develop. He’s a much better long term prospect than Whaley, correct, just not from day 1. Anyway I’m not sure how you can insist Springs will be better when he hasn’t played a single minute of college ball. Similar to the people telling me a freshman Omoruyi will be better than senior Carlton. How about letting these kids step on the court before determining their college fate....

Whaley is a career 2 point 2 rebound player. Look great for one game and is now

70 games at UConn he averages 2 points and 2 rebounds per game. Junior year 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. Yeah no way we can fill that void.

I’m not judging this one game. I know people tend to overreact over good and bad games from players but I’m not one of them. Whaley, no matter how good or bad he plays, has a decent BB IQ, plays hard, and gives us energy. He will be the most capable big to give us a jolt of energy off the bench next season. Give me 3 and 3 with some good defense in 10-12 minutes of action and I’ll take it. We don’t need a world beater as a backup center.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t saying he should play because he’s a nice kid. Just saying that makes it easier to root for him.

Springs WILL be better, I’m just not convinced he’ll be better than 4th year Whaley in his first season of college basketball. He will take time to develop. He’s a much better long term prospect than Whaley, correct, just not from day 1. Anyway I’m not sure how you can insist Springs will be better when he hasn’t played a single minute of college ball. Similar to the people telling me a freshman Omoruyi will be better than senior Carlton. How about letting these kids step on the court before determining their college fate....

I’m not judging this one game. I know people tend to overreact over good and bad games from players but I’m not one of them. Whaley, no matter how good or bad he plays, has a decent BB IQ, plays hard, and gives us energy. He will be the most capable big to give us a jolt of energy off the bench next season. Give me 3 and 3 with some good defense in 10-12 minutes of action and I’ll take it. We don’t need a world beater as a backup center.
Because I don't think Whaley is a good basketball player at this level. Same reason I think a freshman Cliff would start over a senior Carlton.

Reaction Score
Because I don't think Whaley is a good basketball player at this level. Same reason I think a freshman Cliff would start over a senior Carlton.

Well on the contrary I think next season (I’m NOT talking long-term) Whaley will be more valuable than Springs and Ferguson. His experience will earn him minutes. Not every player is ready to contribute immediately and I don’t think Springs and Ferguson are any exception. Both will be great 4 year guys though. Regarding Cliff, you mustn’t be reading what people who have seen him play are saying. Nobody is impressed and that’s in HS. Not a single chance Cliff starts over Carlton in the BE if he can’t even impress in HS. As I said let the kids step on a college court before determining their fate.

Reaction Score
Well on the contrary I think next season (I’m NOT talking long-term) Whaley will be more valuable than Springs and Ferguson. His experience will earn him minutes. Not every player is ready to contribute immediately and I don’t think Springs and Ferguson are any exception. Both will be great 4 year guys though. Regarding Cliff, you mustn’t be reading what people who have seen him play are saying. Nobody is impressed and that’s in HS. Not a single chance Cliff starts over Carlton in the BE if he can’t even impress in HS. As I said let the kids step on a college court before determining their fate.
I disagree with you, it's okay. And if you're going off some boneyarders watching Cliff in a single high school game and extrapolating that to how he would play here, I can't help you with that.

Carlton has a bagel every second or third game, he's not good and doesn't fit at all what Hurley is trying to do.

Reaction Score
I disagree with you, it's okay. And if you're going off some boneyarders watching Cliff in a single high school game and extrapolating that to how he would play here, I can't help you with that.

Carlton has a bagel every second or third game, he's not good and doesn't fit at all what Hurley is trying to do.

Totally fine that we disagree. I don’t hate any of you. We all root for the same team. My bottom line is just thinking that Cliff as a freshman will solve all our problems at the center is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The way he played last night how do you know he wouldn't have made a difference in the Nova game.
I think he absolutely could have. The reason I laughed was the announcer saw a DNP and probably assumed he was not available vs Nova when in reality he just wasted away on the bench.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Two offensive rebounds followed by dunks by Whaley were waived off due to fouls that were questionable at best. That's 4 points off the board for us.

Reaction Score
It's a cliche but its true, who starts isn't nearly as important as who finishes. plus Whaley is foul prone.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We are better when we play our athletes. Whaley is one of them. Play a heavy rotation with Whaley Sid, bouknight, akok, and I guess gilbert and Vital and at least we have an identity because it sure isn’t going to be shooting. Gaffney was supposed to be really athletic but I haven’t seen it at all yet. We can keep Temi out for the time being.

I think starting six players might just do the trick!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom