OT: - Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo?

Reaction Score
Nan, I'm not sure this is true.

I vividly remember in March 2011 a number of us tried to get the women's forum on board with "winning" only to repeatedly get dismissed, often with comments such as "we don't need this".

Two time defending champions, with senior year Maya Moore got bumped solely due to lack of appreciation of mojo.

It was offered to that women's team on a silver platter and they (the women's board) snubbed it.

Reaction Score
Let me put things in perspective for you trekkies. This board is just a speck in the landscape of UConn culture. So much so that the admin who set it up probably forgot it exists. But if they had an inkling of what ensues here with a G squad claiming they have powers to influence the team’s performance, (who also don’t know you exist) the code language, the chauvinism, perceived seniority or pecking order, and all the other BS, they would further exile this board out of the fabric and rename the site ‘LandofthemisfitBoys dot com.
I couldn’t get through half of the drivel on this thread. I can assure you it’s totally sleep inducing. You’re embarrassing the rest of us with this bizarro melodrama. Creighton and other boards are probably laughing at us.
You bring up some valid points, and I pray that you're correct that the team doesn't know we exist. I can assure you, though, that the founding members are still quite active on this site. (I think one of them might be Big Red, by the way.)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
"Shut Up and eat the Mojo Sandwich, Commie!"

Lets forget about the debacle, it only brought us one tourney win, and my bowels are still obstructed 6.5 years later.

Reaction Score
Does "20 minutes" actually have anything to do with The Mojo, or is it just a plain ol' inside joke?

Reaction Score
Sincere curiosity: have you ever read the haiku I write to take note of entries that run counter to the 5-7-5 convention?

Where sincere attempts fail, it is mostly through the dreaded "careless error" that docked us points on primary & secondary school math tests. Elsewise, it is a function somewhat never having absorbed that haiku takes the 3-line 5-7-5 syllable count form. Both of those groups occasion a custom-created haiku designed to coach toward competence and encourage future performance. In some cases, it prompts for immediate attention if the limited editing window is open and a quick correction can be made. NONE are wrathful or intended to scold. More likely, they have a picayune & pedantic edge skin to this response. People in your profession generally appreciate where accuracy and thoroughness are seen positively.

As to those whose haiku seems intentionally, mischievously, or disruptive let wrong, I take greater liberties in my tone, but seek for whatever is offensive in n my tone to nonetheless remain arguably less offensive than the matter it addresses.

The final category is content within a post that is either in part or as a whole prose and not haiku poetry. That could include the following examples:

"Yeah no, I don't do the haiku."

"How can I stream tomorrow's game?"

"This haiku is totally raw."
(with someone's entry quoted above)

"I think that if you wrote 'elucidate' instead of 'enunciate,' it'd be clearer for readers."

In other words, advice, compliments, and corrections can be made in haiku form without throwing off the haiku-derived mojo.

The trickiest instance occurs when someone writes a solid haiku, but then adds beneath, it in a separate paragraph, something like, "Oh wow, that was first haiku. That was fun. I really feel like Boneyarder now!" The recommendation would be to express your joy in haiku firm as well.

And there you have it: intolerance, judgment, and wrath the strikes fear into some, exasperated others, and allows misunderstanding to grow where it needn't.

Thanks for jump-starting this attempt to clarify my approach to being a helpful, supportive fan.

Tomorrow is game day, and Game Day haiku stokes the mojo.

Remember 5 syllables in line 1, then 7 in line 2, and finally 5 in line 3.

Ideate, write, check your math, and Post.

Go Huskies!
We appreciate
Your dedication to the
Haiku mojo craft

Yarders follow sports
Nickel and dime defenses
Easily discussed

Haiku is simple
We pros switch from daily prose
five seven and five

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Does "20 minutes" actually have anything to do with The Mojo, or is it just a plain ol' inside joke?

Not mojo and It’s not really inside. It was born naturally on here a long, long time ago. Well over a decade, could be closer to 2 decades, it’s somewhere in between.

We were all waiting with baited breath for some kind of big announcement ( wish I could remember what) and the information ( seriously) was supposed to come in 20 minutes. I don’t think it did. Thus a meme was born.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s not really inside. If was born naturally on here a long, long time ago. Well over a decade, could be closer to 2 decades, it’s somewhere in between.

We were all waiting with bated breath for some kind of big announcement ( wish I could remember what) and the information ( seriously) was supposed to come in 20 minutes. I don’t think it did. Thus a meme was born.
It has to be at least two decades old. I started on (a predecessor to) this board in 2003 and in one of my first posts asked a question (wasn't even time related) and almost immediately received the response "20 minutes". I started thinking WTF? while others on the board acted like the response was Abbott and Costello's Who's on First.

I knew almost immediately that you had to have been there...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sincere curiosity: have you ever read the haiku I write to take note of entries that run counter to the 5-7-5 convention?

Where sincere attempts fail, it is mostly through the dreaded "careless error" that docked us points on primary & secondary school math tests. Elsewise, it is a function somewhat never having absorbed that haiku takes the 3-line 5-7-5 syllable count form. Both of those groups occasion a custom-created haiku designed to coach toward competence and encourage future performance. In some cases, it prompts for immediate attention if the limited editing window is open and a quick correction can be made. NONE are wrathful or intended to scold. More likely, they have a picayune & pedantic edge skin to this response. People in your profession generally appreciate where accuracy and thoroughness are seen positively.

As to those whose haiku seems intentionally, mischievously, or disruptive let wrong, I take greater liberties in my tone, but seek for whatever is offensive in n my tone to nonetheless remain arguably less offensive than the matter it addresses.

The final category is content within a post that is either in part or as a whole prose and not haiku poetry. That could include the following examples:

"Yeah no, I don't do the haiku."

"How can I stream tomorrow's game?"

"This haiku is totally raw."
(with someone's entry quoted above)

"I think that if you wrote 'elucidate' instead of 'enunciate,' it'd be clearer for readers."

In other words, advice, compliments, and corrections can be made in haiku form without throwing off the haiku-derived mojo.

The trickiest instance occurs when someone writes a solid haiku, but then adds beneath, it in a separate paragraph, something like, "Oh wow, that was first haiku. That was fun. I really feel like Boneyarder now!" The recommendation would be to express your joy in haiku firm as well.

And there you have it: intolerance, judgment, and wrath the strikes fear into some, exasperated others, and allows misunderstanding to grow where it needn't.

Thanks for jump-starting this attempt to clarify my approach to being a helpful, supportive fan.

Tomorrow is game day, and Game Day haiku stokes the mojo.

Remember 5 syllables in line 1, then 7 in line 2, and finally 5 in line 3.

Ideate, write, check your math, and Post.

Go Huskies!
Where I've failed it was merely one of those complex words where there is disagreement on the number of syllables due to differing pronunciations. Or in one case, I was wrong, but the online counter said it was 5-7-5. My complaints are the people who just write stuff and aren't even making an attempt. If you don't know the rule, just stay out of it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Where I've failed it was merely one of those complex words where there is disagreement on the number of syllables due to differing pronunciations. Or in one case, I was wrong, but the online counter said it was 5-7-5. My complaints are the people who just write stuff and aren't even making an attempt. If you don't know the rule, just stay out of it.
Wise conclusion and advice.

I've suggested and taken to modeling some punctuation hacks to be clear on the syllable count, like "ev'rybody," vs. "ever-y-body," but some people are gonna stand firm that "fire" is one, and some will say two, and that's cat-herding futile, and no hill to die on. Got let things go sometimes.

Reminds me that it's been a while I've seen this one:

Or the short version:

lighten up, Francis

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You bring up some valid points, and I pray that you're correct that the team doesn't know we exist. I can assure you, though, that the founding members are still quite active on this site. (I think one of them might be Big Red, by the way.)
Go searching for a good Boneyard history link that @Beaner provided last week. I think it links to a 2013 post.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We appreciate
Your dedication to the
Haiku mojo craft

Yarders follow sports
Nickel and dime defenses
Easily discussed

Haiku is simple
We pros switch from daily prose
five seven and five
That being the case
Some advise against haiku
Except in haiku thread:cool:

My workaround is
Intentional miscounting
So that it's not haiku

But if you don't think
that it affects the mojo
Not a problem

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Crap all this time I thought only Howard Johnson’s had mojo

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not mojo and It’s not really inside. It was born naturally on here a long, long time ago. Well over a decade, could be closer to 2 decades, it’s somewhere in between.

We were all waiting with baited breath for some kind of big announcement ( wish I could remember what) and the information ( seriously) was supposed to come in 20 minutes. I don’t think it did. Thus a meme was born.
It was light years before Hilton units I believe.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
An all time favorite

Thanks, always terrific fun.

Half an hour ago I could have told you that NRBQ had Al Anderson of CT's Wildweeds as a member for a while; that pianist Terry Adams once wrote the liner notes for a 2-lp compilation of Thelonious Monk's Columbia recordings; that the band once put out an album called "NRBQ at Yankee Stadium" that was neither recorded nor performed at Yankee Stadium, but I never knew until tonight that band's mid-1960s origins go back to lively Shively, within the Louisville Metro, Terry Adams's home town.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

It was a random sarcastic reply from UConnhenry (may he RIP). It quickly developed a life of it's own.

Reaction Score
The Blues Brothers said it best, in 2011 “We’re On A Mission From God”. Since then I have worshipped at the Church of Maker‘s Mark. That was a miracle, it was tangible and we all witnessed it, not like all these fantastical religions. So spring, pre NCAA, a direct sign from Heaven, that’s Mojo.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Go searching for a good Boneyard history link that @Beaner provided last week. I think it links to a 2013 post.
Don’t know if you’re referring to this - warning, it links to the women’s board

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom